Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been looking for an English Bulldog for about 1 year, but the cost has just been to much to get around. Then I found an old friend that had to get rid of his dog Mack. He said he is a perfect 1 year old English Bulldog, and he didn't lie... I have had Mack for two days now and he is finally settling in with me and my girlfriend. The first night he didnt sleep at all and just pased around a panted all night, I felt so bad for him. But he is finally eating a little more and getting over his depression and realizing that he absolutly loves me! He basicly heels right with me on or off the leash, he also waits for me to go through doors before he comes through... I think those are very good signes of a great dog to come. So Mack isn't fixed yet and my aunt who works at an animal hospital says I should get him fixed right away and he will be a healthier dog. I am not sure about this because I wouldnt want to be fixed either and dont want to tramatize him anymore. Although he seems to be just fine and is sleeping right beside me as I type this. Here are some pictures of my new SWEET DOG! Ohh and he is 59lbs is that a little too much?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
What a lucky find for you and what a nice looking boy Mack is! Welcome to the board! Dogs are alot better of dogs when they are fixed is what I have heard. I would get him fixed but that is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Faith Marie said:
What a lucky find for you and what a nice looking boy Mack is! Welcome to the board! Dogs are alot better of dogs when they are fixed is what I have heard. I would get him fixed but that is just my thoughts.
I just feel bad doing that to someone I love so much! Thanks for the welcome, ohh and I forgot to mention that Mack is from Germany, I have purbred papers and a receipt of $2,800 USD. I can't believe someone would get rid of this perfect man.

·
Registered
886 Posts
oh man that is a good lookin boy, I dont think your boy is to fat he justs looks like a barrel chested bulldog. As for the fixed thing its really not traumatizing or whatever for your dog. Dogs are not humans, they dont even know they have balls. The only thing balls do for dogs is let them make babies, run away, and go crazy, and also potential for desease.

I just had my boy nuetered and he is the same exact dog, the procedure was so simple they ddint even have to use stitches.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Having him neutered is really the best thing for him if you have no intentions of showing him. As bigut64 said (and im just gonna elaborate on it a a bit), it prevents him from wanting to mate (which for an EB, atempting to mate could kill him), it will decrease his desire to roam (looking for a mate or a fight) which will reduce his chances of being stolen or hit by a car), it will help prevent him from marking in the house (not to be confused with indoor elimination), and it will also prevent him from developing life threatening diseases such as testicular cancer.

He probably wouldn't even realize he was neutered once he was back at home with you. Most don't. They are not like humans who would feel a sense of loss over losing thier "jewels".

I don't think your boy looks over weight either. My EB was about 75 pounds, so compared to my Tinker, Mack is a light weight :lol:

He is a GORGEOUS bully! If you ever get tired of him - send him to me! :p

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
He probably wouldn't even realize he was neutered once he was back at home with you. Most don't. They are not like humans who would feel a sense of loss over losing thier "jewels".
This always makes me laugh! When my previous got neutered (10 years ago), he was licking himself after the surgery, and seemed to notice something was missing. Just kinda stopped what he was doing, and took a good look down there and then looked at us, like "what's wrong here?". I know he didn't really know, but it was funny regardless!

I would get him fixed as well. It won't traumatize him, but if it makes you feel a bit more comfortable, wait a couple weeks or a month, but don't delay too long. He is adorable by the way! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the advice and compliments everyone! I have decided to get the dog fixed for all of the reasons above and my apartment complex mandates that all dogs get fixed. Well he definitly relaxed last night and settled in, he fell right asleep and boy does he snore! He was awake at 6am and climbing in the bed asking to go for a walk. I took him out and he did what he had to do then came back to his bed and fell asleep. He is really a perfect dog, and I would never get tired of him and give him away like his last owner. I couldnt make him go through that again and I love him too much! He still isnt really eating like I think he should, but I am sure he will get used to the food I am giving him and start to eat more. I can tell he is so used to eating table scraps, but I want to break him of that habit and go lay down when we are eating. Its not like he is bothering you, but he kinda gives you a sweet look and is using his PSP to tell me to GIVE HIM FOOD. I got some great pictures last night I will post later. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
He is a handsome boy! Loooove that big bully smile. Get him neutered, you'll both be glad you did it in the long run. Can't wait to see more pics!

And welcome to the forum, by the way! :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Welcome to the forum and "off with his balls" LOL He will be much healthier and he won't be mad at you! Good luck with your new addition and post more photos!!!
~Vonna

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mack looks awesome. 60 lbs is a perfectly healthy weight for an adult male, thats what my dog weighs now at 5 yrs old. At 1 year old I think my guy may have been a little lighter (maybe about 55 lbs). cut off those balls and I'm thinking Mack's weight will be just right.

don't worry about him not eating enough. One thing an English Bulldog will not do is starve themselves, so no worries about that. I only feed Bullitt 1 CUP of dog food in the morning and a few treats thru the day. And Bullitt had his balls removed along time ago... didn't change his personality a bit. He still thinks he's the general of our neighborhood.

More pics please. Sounds like youve got a great new best friend.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do macks "balls" have anything to do with his testosterone production? I think they do and I wouldnt want to effect that part of him, I am an avid powerlifter and I wouldnt want to not have testosterone. But I was in Petco tonight and my girlfriend had Mack and he decided to mark some terretory in two places. The other day in petco he didnt do anything. I called his last owner and he told me he ate Purina ProPlan Large Breed, so I went to petco and got that with a couple of cans. As soon as he saw the bag he was very excited, not like the other food I was trying to feed him. Then when we got home I was talking to him getting him all excited about the food and gave him some, he smelled it for a second and lied down in the kitchen. So I opened a can and mixed it in the dry food a little, then he decided to finally eat some food! He didnt eat as much as I would think he should but enough for now.

Well here are some more pictures of my definitly new best friend, I have to get him to listen to my girlfriend more because she was walking him on the leash and he was just healing with me right by my side and just kind of dragging her along. I actually made a joke out of it and had him pull her to the right about 10 feet just to show her who he really listens to. hehe.
What a tongue!

He likes his new bed!

Nice underbite buddy... I am surprised his tongue isnt hanging out :roll:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ygohome said:
Mack looks awesome. 60 lbs is a perfectly healthy weight for an adult male, thats what my dog weighs now at 5 yrs old. At 1 year old I think my guy may have been a little lighter (maybe about 55 lbs). cut off those balls and I'm thinking Mack's weight will be just right.

Will he loose weight without his manhood? And he is definitly my new best friend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BigMack said:
ygohome said:

Will he loose weight without his manhood? And he is definitly my new best friend.
No, he won't lose weight... only whatever his balls weighed. :)

dont worry about the testosterone thing. Bullitt had his balls removed at about 6 months old and he's definately not gotten any less manly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts