Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came home from the vet and got the kids out of the car and took Buster out when my neighbor came out and Buster almost took my arm off trying to get to him so I walk over to say hello well Buster has never seen this neighbor and I don't know if this is why his behavior was like this but the guy just stood there talking to Buster not reaching out to pet or anything and Buster had his hackles up and was barking at him on and off.If the guy were to reach down to pet him I honestly don't know what his ( Busters )reaction would of been.This is the second time this has happened with two different people.He is fine around those he knows but when it comes to complete strangers the hackles goes up and he barks at them.I don't know if he would run behind me to hide or bite the person.I am a bit concerned. Any thoughts..........

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
if you use a choke chain or prong, correct him (give a pop on the leash) say no and make him sit. Its tough to give advice like this over the computer because youcan't see how he reacts but if it's fairly mild behaviour you should be okay with this.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
how old is buster now? and how much socialization has he had?
dogs which are standoffish with new people are ok , dogs which are fearful are not. that being said, all dogs go thru stages of fear, usually 2. if buster is going thru one of these stages it is important for you to help him thru it and not to cater to the fear

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
attitude said:
how old is buster now? and how much socialization has he had?
dogs which are standoffish with new people are ok , dogs which are fearful are not. that being said, all dogs go thru stages of fear, usually 2. if buster is going thru one of these stages it is important for you to help him thru it and not to cater to the fear

Buster is 6 1/2 months. I have had him around noise since we brought him home,loud cars, motorcycles , construction tools, kids, family, fire works and he never had a problem with any of those things.I had him around many people at least our close family and friends and he doesn't show this behavior with any of them.This happened not long ago when my daughters friend came over the mother came in our ( never been over before )house and went to pet Buster right away and his hackles went up and he barked but I felt she did wrong by not letting him sniff her out first but today the guy never went to touch him ( I think he thinks he is a pit bull and doesn't want anything to do with him :roll: ) He ( my neighbor ) stood there with arms at his side talking to Buster and Buster's hackles went right up and he started barking ,then Buster sat and barked at him.The way he was acting has me wondering if the guy would of bent down to pet him would he of bit the guy or hide behind me to get away from him.It is concerning to me and any thought or advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate doesn't like people just standing there staring at her and talking to her. She barks at those people too. it is usually random people while we are out on a walk

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with Bella right now. She puts up her hackles, barks, backs up if we get to close to people (mostly men) while we're out on a walk. It's only when we're on a walk, though, so I'm not sure what her issue is. She's fine with people when we're out at the pet store or in an enclosed area like that (vet's office, for example.) She's also fine with people when they come into our home. I'm thinking that this is mostly my husband's and my fault because ever since we've been taking Bella for walks, and she's pulled toward people, we've pulled her away, especially if the people seemed fearful of her. We've never really allowed her to interact with people while we've been out on a walk. I think she's learned that people out on walks need to be avoided. I'm kind of rambling here...sorry! Just wanted to share my experiences with you. :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate is the exact same way as Bella.... in a pet store, or the vet or I've even taken her to a party once, she loved EVERYONE. out on a walk, wont let anyone come up to us?????

But she doesnt like people coming into the house when they dont walk in with me. If you have never met kate and you knock on the door and come in she will bark and bark

But I am posting again cause what happened with Buster just happened. A lady came over to pick up my mom. Put Kate outside but it started pouring. Put kate on a leash and brought her in. the lady was in the other room so kate just pulled toward that area. That lady came in the room, stood on the other side of the table but said hi to kate. Kate didnt have her hackles up but was barking in not the nicest bark. What I did was I pointed my finger and said no, that is not acceptable in a louder then normal and stern voice. She stopped immediately. She had to be told again but she stopped everytime

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
My dog Chico doesn't like people that walk up and bend over into his face and then stare straight into his eyes and start in with the, "Hey good puppy, you're such a goooood booooy, yes you are !!!!" All the staring and baby talk just totally freaks him out. I think he feels very threatened when people cower over him and stare into his eyes. If they just walk up and talk like normal people or even ignore him, he is fine.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
I think part of the problem is the age. I do not know what it is with these bullies but when they hit that 6 month age they just feel as if they have to boss everything in order to survive. Quick and very firm correction is what is needed here, he has to know that this is wrong and he has to feel ashamed of what he is doing. I did not take any flack from Clara when I first got her. She was 8 months old and dropped off. After a few days she got used to the place and started to show her own. She was quickly stopped and pulled up which surprised the H--- out of her and she quickly recognized that she was not in charge but that I was. Once she realized this we did not have any more problems. Since then her only thing is that she does not want to get into trouble and feel bad. The best way I know to relate this is that at that age they are feeling and acting the same as a 6th grade middle schooler, a little rough and tough. You would not take it from a 6th grader so do not take it from your dog. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for all your stories and tips.This behavior really had me worried and hopefully with correction he will snap out of it.I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one who has or is going through this.All your feed back was appreciated :D Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts