Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the girls with our friends little girl Rachael who's just turned 2.

Sadie and Rachael

Sadie, Jaz, and Rachael

Here they're all sleeping!

This is Sarah's first time meeting a child. Here she is taking a treat from her.

Don't these bully's inspire terror, lol!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
omg the sleeping one!!!!! ahhhhh how cute!

·
Registered
112 Posts
How sweet! Do you have to "teach" dogs to be that low key with kids? Rosie hasn't really been around kids and my boxer was a terror (jumping and licking and knocking kids over unintentionally). Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! My girls are the best with kids.

ChetP, we have sent in lots of pics attatched to emails to our govn't officials. I wonder if my husband sitll has some of the replies. "Oh, your dogs look to be very friendly, but we still think the ban is in the peoples best interest, blah, blah, freakin blah!"

Orange said:
How sweet! Do you have to "teach" dogs to be that low key with kids? Rosie hasn't really been around kids and my boxer was a terror (jumping and licking and knocking kids over unintentionally). Just wondering.
I think in general you do have to teach dogs how to behave around kids. We spend a lot of time training the dogs while young how to respond to children. We start out first by making sure they are curbed of any aggressive tendencies. We have always let them know it is normal and ok for us (or anybody) to put their hand in their food, or take a bone from them. You can reach right down any of my dogs throat to take something out they shouldn't be eating. Also, you have to make sure your dogs listen to comands very well. Jaz is a very hyper dog and if we let her she would jump around all over the place. If she starts to get a little too excited her first command is "off". We use off for if she were to ever jump on anyone or when she starts to get carried away with kisses, things like that. So "off", then depending on how hyper she is it's "sit" or "down" (lay down), and we make her stay on time out till she's calmed down. The dogs pick up on what is acceptable and what is not and as a rule our dogs seem to sense that they can't get rough while the kids are around. It is harder to do sometimes when the dogs are older, but still they can be taught if they are ok to be around kids. Obviously we never leave the dogs alone with any kids, except some of the older ones, since even if a dog loves a child with all his heart, sometimes accidents happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts