Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back from obediance class and the trainer gave us a throw chain. Apparently you're supposed to throw this at your dog, or near him to make him want to stay close to you? Any advice on how to use it?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
The trainer in the OB class I went to did the same thing - when your dog wants to wander away from you or is distracted by something else you kinda throw/drop the chain to refocus his attention on you. I never used it that much honestly - and it only works on hard surfaces obviously.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've heard of it, you throw it near your dog (not at them) and it's supposed to bring it's attention back to you.
I've never worked with it, I can't see how it would work but it wouldn't hurt them so I say give it a try.

I would definately have your dog on leash while using this as I'm sure they would probably run from the chain.
Especially if you're working with a rescue dog or a dog with fear issues probably not a good thing.

My friend's pit responded great to a can of pennys, she would shake it or throw toward him to stop
his bad behavior if she wasn't close to him. It's probably the same concept and wouldn't get as much
bad attention as a person walking down the street with a bully dog holding a chain. LOL.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I could imagine it hitting the dog..
:?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
attitude said:
i do NOT recommend this method. but again, different strokes for different folks
edit to say: altho a throw chain does have it's usefullness, heeling is NOT one of them.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a similar training tool I call a "Throw Shoe". It works like a charm when any of my dogs is contemplating a bad thing and I'm far away. For instance Amrika is too interested in the birds (to the detriment so far of one bird). So if she gets too interested in the flight cage out comes the throw shoe....or should I say off comes the throw shoe. The hand of god reaches down and drops this shoe on her and it breaks the spell. No harm no foul.

Paula

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
LOL, my mom uses that method on my father.
LMAO!
Works pretty well..
:p

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Hmm, i'd find another trainer. Sounds a little barbaric!
I would think it'd do more harm than good making a dog fearful.
If i threw a chain at Orson he'd freak out!! Scare the poop out of him!
There are better ways to get their attention, shake cans are good like mentioned earlier.
Or with Orson, nothing is a better attention-getter than a loud squeeky toy!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You dont throw it at their face. You just toss the mini choke chain at her rump when she doesnt come. You only do this if she isnt not looking at you and she is not responding. It shows the dog that its safer to be near you than running around. Its also for off leash training, when you have very little control over the dog.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If I wanted my dog to stay with me, I'd throw an object IN FRONT of her versus in back.
:)
Spooking her from behind will only teach her to stay far away from you, throwing it in front of her
will maybe work. I don't know, either way your dog will see you carrying the chain that's scaring her.

Not to mention people around you thinking you wack your dog with it.
:?

*pictures people seeing you and crossing the street*

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do not like it. If you raise your pup right, you don't need it.
Makes many pet dogs skiddish.
You throw a chain at my dog.......it will be very very bad.

It does get the dog's attention, but it will start to fear your raised hand, if used many times.

do you wnat people to think you hit your dog? raised hand?

Just use his name and a long line.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have friends that have used them with good results. Although everyone I've hurd of using one has had the trainer actually sit down with you and you dog and go through a large block of instruction with you to show you how to use it affectively.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I say don't use it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
throw chain

I've never had any luck with using anything like a throw chain or a can of pennys. Initially it scares them, then they figure it out and it doesn't work. Bam-Bam is a total weasel. His little brain is always trying to find ways around "rules" (some of the most creative ways of begging at the table you've ever seen). The only thing that is foolproof with him is repitition and consistancy. Eventually it sinks in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts