Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the sticky on food and am still having trouble deciding on food. I've narrowed it down to Timberwolf, Royal Canin, Innova EVO and DVP. Does anybody have experience with any of these foods with EB's.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I know that the Royal Canine Bulldog formula is shaped specially for a bulldogs unique underbite. This makes the food easier for them to chew and less likely they will just swallow it. Royal Canine scores a 100% or an "A" on the food rating, meaning that it is a good food - not neccessarily "The Best" but up there. We fed our EB the Royal mainly for the shape of the kibble. She seemed to eat it better then the round kibbles. Less gas from sucking the kibbles into her mouth (sucking air in).

It's really up to you what you want to feed her and what she prefers. Get the best food you can afford. I just reccomend the Royal Canine Bulldog because it seems easier for them to grasp the food and chew it.

Please post pictures of your bully! We'de love to see him/her!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bear was on DVP Duck & Potato and did great. I switched him to Royal Canin Bulldog about 2 months ago due to the fact that he likes to inhale his food and the RC is specially shaped for the bulldogs mouth so they will chew. It has worked great for that. Also his tear stains have disappeared and he has like 50% less poo which is great.

I know a lot of people on the EB forums that have had great success with RC. But there are some that had trouble. DVP is great as well though. It all depends on the dog. Eveyones different. You just have to figure out what's best for your pup.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
bearsmom said:
Bear was on DVP Duck & Potato and did great. I switched him to Royal Canin Bulldog about 2 months ago due to the fact that he likes to inhale his food and the RC is specially shaped for the bulldogs mouth so they will chew. It has worked great for that. Also his tear stains have disappeared and he has like 50% less poo which is great.

I know a lot of people on the EB forums that have had great success with RC. But there are some that had trouble. DVP is great as well though. It all depends on the dog. Eveyones different. You just have to figure out what's best for your pup.
i couldn't have said it better..... when we boarded the dogs last week, they were fed something other than RC and man, the poop keeps rolling out....the yard is disgusting and they've only been back since Thursday evening....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not Royal Canin for Bulldogs

We put our English Bulldog on Royal Canin Bulldog and she had an allergic reaction. The breeder told us that soy is not good for bulldogs since they don't digest it well. She started losing her fur and her eyes ran. When we took her off it she got better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
dog food

hi, i'm new to this forum and i see all these dog foods listed, where do you get them? I've never heard of them, i've been giving my EB purina or pedigree but she seems to have lost interest in them. And i bought her a kong toy but she has no interest in it, i see where people stuff it with all kinds of stuff, this is our first EB and am not sure what foods she can have, she could have baby food ??????? i've been experimenting with cottage cheese since she seems to have lost interest in her dog food, and i've tried using plain, vanilla or banana vanilla yogurt, she loves the yogurt, by itself... but not the dogfood... she loves scrambled eggs, also by itself ... and i've been told that they cannot have meat, just a nibble once in a great while, doesn't the canned dog food fall in this area as meat ? also she has like a "stain" going down her face from her eyes, is this a " tear stain" and can we make it go away? This is our first bulldog and i seem to be floundering on what to give her and how to handle her. She's 9 months old, and does not play well with our doberman also a female, so we keep them apart all the time.. the breeder we got her from said there would be no problem with having these two breeds together, well, i've got news for him... i read that they need extra calcium for their bones, about how old do they need to get to before i stop the yogurt/cottage cheese at each feeding? Also is bananas good for them? She gets right in your face and demands a banana, sometimes i feel like i have to hide out in my room to have one in peace and quiet ! thanks lots for any help !

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: dog food

dezekiel said:
hi, i'm new to this forum and i see all these dog foods listed,1 where do you get them? I've never heard of them, i've been giving my EB purina or pedigree but she seems to have lost interest in them. And i bought her a kong toy but she has no interest in it, i see where people stuff it with all kinds of stuff, this is our first EB and am not sure what foods she can have, she could have baby food ??????? i've been experimenting with cottage cheese since she seems to have lost interest in her dog food, and i've tried using 2plain, vanilla or banana vanilla yogurt, she loves the yogurt, by itself... but not the dogfood... she loves scrambled eggs, also by itself ... 3and i've been told that they cannot have meat, just a nibble once in a great while, doesn't the canned dog food fall in this area as meat ? ,4also she has like a "stain" going down her face from her eyes, is this a " tear stain" and can we make it go away? This is our first bulldog and i seem to be floundering on what to give her and how to handle her. She's 9 months old, and does not play well with our doberman also a female, so we keep them apart all the time.. the breeder we got her from said there would be no problem with having these two breeds together, well, i've got news for him... i read that they need extra calcium for their bones, about how old do they need to get to before i stop the yogurt/cottage cheese at each feeding? 5Also is bananas good for them? 6She gets right in your face and demands a banana, sometimes i feel like i have to hide out in my room to have one in peace and quiet ! thanks lots for any help !
1. I feed Kate, My AB, Royal Canine the boxer forumla and she does wonderful on it. Different dogs react differently to different foods. But I can purchase this food at Petco/Petsmart. The foods you listed are not good foods. They are filled with fillers that just go right through the dogs body and add no nutritional value

2. You can keep with the Plain yogurt but no flavored ones as they have lots of addatives to them. Plain is awesome for a dogs digestive system though.

3. I'm not sure where you heard this, but meat, not fat, is awesome for a dog. Make sure there are no cooked bones with the meat tho as they can splinter and hurt the dog. But many people, including people on this forum have gone to a complete RAW diet and moved away from kibble

4. Yes that is a tear stain. If you do a search on tear stains there will be lots of useful information but a food change can help those greatly

5. Bananas are good for them as are most fruits in moderation though that is the key. But grapes and onions and chocolate are horrible for dogs as they cause bad reactions in their stomaches

6.Do not let her do this! You want her to look up to you and respect you. You need to make yourself the alpha in the house if you want to live a long happy life with her. Bully breeds are very hard headed and always try to push themselves "higher up in the rank". Dogs in general live their lives in pack even when they are domesticated. So by letting your dog do this, you are letting her see herself as higher up then you. When she starts getting pushy, give a stern no and ignore her, do not give in

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bulldog foods

Hi! We have an English Bulldog, Sophie, who turned one in March. We had her on Royal Canin Bulldog formula, but she couldn't digest the soy and her fur started falling out in patches. We then put her on Pedigree and just switched to Innova Evo. She absolutely LOVES this new dog food. It is meat based with no grains. The first time we fed it to her a few days ago she barked and pawed at the bowl when she finished like she wanted more.

We love our bullie like one of our kids. She is so sweet!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feed Royal Canin Large Breed Pup at first because it has some immune sys boosters helps joints. After about 6 months though i switched to DVP Ultra Prem because of the more natural ingredients. Both have worked very well. healthy dog and easy to clean stool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to see meat as the main ingredient and less rice, but the DVP is not the worst you can feed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
tgibson1 said:
I would like to see meat as the main ingredient and less rice, but the DVP is not the worst you can feed.
Main ingredient is "Chicken" then brown rice and then Duck. DVP is far from the worst you can feed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chicken is listed as the first ingredient and duck third yes, but this is inclusive of water. Remove the water and they would fall farther down the list; leaving rice as the main ingredient. It is not a bad food, their is just better foods available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When we first got Ginger, we had her on Royal Canin Bulldogge food. We had a terrible time with yeast infections in her face folds even with cleaning them daily. Ginger also gets yogurt daily at lunch. We switched her to DVP's Duck and Potato almost 2 months ago and she loves it.

We have seen a great improvement with the yeast infections in her face folds as well and attribute it to the DVP food since we have been giving her yogurt all along.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts