Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how long do you most of you keep your dogs in their kennels on your days off??? It seems like Sheila gets free roam of the house when we are off for most of the day, but seems like that is not the best thing for her cuz her puppy self gets into trouble. Even with two walks a day, both over 30min, she just seems to have none ending energy!!! She just will not just chill out while we are watching TV, she is constantly on the go. example today we took her to the park, walked 2 miles, played frisbee, and this was in the mid day heat so we stopped frequently for water breaks and cool down hose breaks. Then we took her for about an hour 4-5mile walk this afternoon. I know for a fact most dogs do not get that kind of exercise on a daily basis, so i am just confused as she is not getting any calmer/tired. Am I just building up her resistance with these long outings???? Right now she is in the kennel cuz she will not stop running around the den while we were trying to watch TV winding down for the day, and of course she is whining.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I am not sure how old Sheila is, but my Smooch will be 2 in December and she only gets short times throughout the day where she gets to "roam" around the house. She is still VERY hyper, and when loose in the house will run around looking for anything to grab and shake/tear apart. She doesn't leave the other dogs alone and is basically a holy terror. The only way I can get anything done, and maintain peace in my home, is by crating or kenneling her outside for most of the day. I allow her out and about in the house when I am not busy or easily distracted by other goings on. Her time out doesn't usually last long but she is becoming tolerable for longer stretches of time the older she gets.

I wouldn't feel guilty about confining Sheila if you feel she is unable to handle the freedom you were giving her. It will save your home, help you keep your sanity and probably frustrate her a bit which can only aid in your training. If you start crating/kenneling her more she will probably be so anxious to do anything that even ob training will seem fun..and thats what you want if you plan on getting involved in Schutzhund. Don't get me wrong, I don't think a good dog REQUIRES alot of confinement in order to perform (I think the best dogs will want to perform no matter what their living arrangements are) BUT you deserve to have nice possessions that aren't ruined and you deserve to be able to relax in your home once in a while wihtout having to worry about chasing around an animal.

Good luck with Sheila. It seems like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Am I just building up her resistance with these long outings????

so funny you say that.... because i sometimes think the same thing with patch!
a few months ago, when we'd go on long walks or long games in the park/beach he would come home and crash! just sleep for hours... we wouldn't hear a peep out of him!

Now... it seems like he's built up a resistance to it and he'll come home after a long day out, and still want to play when we're trying to relax and unwind!!

it's amazing the amount of energy this kid has!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts