Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl, Layla, has two (pea sized) bald spots on her coat. I'm curious as to whether or not some would happen to know what it is. She is about 10 months old and they have been on her for about 2 months now. I never see her scracth them and they don't appear to grow in diameter or spread anywhere else on her body.
Here are some details about her day-to-day

She eats Nutro dog food
She only outside for about 20 mintues a day (unless it's a nice day)
She takes a daily vitamin
She snakes on liver treats and IAMS doggy biscuits
My boy, Rocky, does not and has never had these bald spots.

I remember a while ago I read someones thread that said their dog had something similiar and the doctor said it was a tumor of some sort but non-cancerous and nothing to worry about, should go away with time.

Also, is there anything wrong with giving a dog Fish Oil pills developed for humans or should I buy the ones in the pet section? Reason I ask is because I personnally take Fish Oil pills and occasionally I will give one to my dogs.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
The tumors I think you're referring to are the histiocytomas a couple of us have experienced, but this doesn't look like that. Buster's histiocytoma was a big raised red bump and it bled when he messed with it.

The spots on Layla almost look like little scars in the photo, but it's hard to tell. Did she ever have scabs in those spots?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Wish I could help you out here but from looking at those pictures it looks like white spots of fur to me . I have to agree with Augrad. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the inputs. No i haven't done a test for demodex. Demodex usually spreads, if I remember correctly and this has yet to grow in size or spread. I'm not too concerned at the moment. If it starts to change/spread/worsen then I'll look into it a bit more.

·
Registered
380 Posts
APBTguy said:
illiminate those IAMS Doggie Biscuits.
.......why?
Well you know when you buy those hair products in salons that say not guaranteed if sold anywhere else. I have to question the quality of Iamms since they too sell in supermarkets, but, mostly I say cut them as a process of elimination to determine what might be the cause.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Years ago our Dalmation started getting a few spots just like that, she had about 5 of them. It ended up being her food, she was on Iams, we changed her food to Nutro, and she was fine.

Does the food have Corn, or Wheat???

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Dixie was covered in spotes like that. We took her to the vet a million time before we found out she is allergic to chlorine. The spots look identical to hers. he said the spots themselves were due to the allergy, and was actually a kind of staph starting.

Good luck

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure on the spots...seems a few others gave some advice and ideas... but your fish oil question.... it is definitely OK to feed your dog human fish oil pills. All of my dogs get them daily, as well as human ester-c pills and human glucosamine/chondrioton/msm pills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts