Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My husband and I run a small rescue and took in a puppy. He appear to be purebred pit and knowing the area he came from is probably from fighting stock. He is only 4-5 weeks old and in the last week I've had to literally pry him loose from our little Shih tzu/Schnauzer's ear and from our other Shih tzu's tail where he was basically water skiing around the kitchen. He can barely toddle but heads straight for your pants leg, latches on and proceeds to have a tug of war. We are discouraging this behavior and find it worrisome.

We are NOT pit savy by any means although we have more than a couple right now. We are still learning about the breed. We don't know if this little bugger is displaying early aggression, or if this is a normal way for male pit pups to play.

Any thoughs on his behavior would be appreciated.

Peace,
Jane and the Hole in the Wall Gang

·
Registered
576 Posts
This sounds like a pup with very high prey drive. That's a good thing though!! Dogs with high prey drive can often make great search and rescue dogs, protection dogs, etc. I'm not one of the more qualified people on this board so look for info from some of our other members like Lisa. She's busy this weekend though so I'm not sure if she'll be on here right away. The pup should always be supervised, and obviously you will have to give a firm "no" to any undesirable behaviors. My AB puppy bit our pant legs and chased our cats until she was maybe 3 or 4 months old. We were persistent with the corrections and made sure she was never unsupervised with the cats. Now she no longer chases the cats, but we still ALWAYS supervise. The pup doesn't sound agressive to me, it just sounds like he has a lot of prey drive.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
We have a 13 week old male pitbull, and he does the same. I think it's just in their 'nature', and as long as you correct him properly & not condone it, then he should be okay. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Abby did the whole pant leg thing when she was a puppy too, but she's grown up to be obedient and super agility dog! I think like Thom said, your puppy just has a high prey drive and this can be great for working dog abilities. Of course, when you think things are getting out of hand, then it's time to discipline and seperate your pup from the little dog. Best of luck though and we'd like to see pics of the lil' devil too ;) !

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a olde english bulldogge, boomer, he is now 4 1/2 mo'[email protected] first he was like this......I was a lil worried too, but we just corrected him each time....if he would bite too hard or growl we would sit him down and ignore him....now he has calmed down a whole bunch.......he still is a lil rough with our cat but they are use to eachother.....I dont know a whole lot about the pit bull breed...I have been scared of them for years after one bit my finger off (literally) in cincy after attacking my rotty........I know that wasnt the breed....just the individuals raising this paticular dog......but still i couldnt help the fear....i wasnt aware that OEBs were part pit but i fell in love with boomer.............I would think he prob is just being a puppy and not realizing he is hurting anyone...he will prob calm down

·
Registered
451 Posts
It sounds quite normal to me, and doesn't sound like aggression. It's not very common for a pup that young to be dog-aggressive, he's probably just trying to play. Boss used to be very mouthy too, so I wouldn't worry about that behaviour, just handle the biting like you would with any other pup. :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Oh my, only seems like only yesterday I was walking around the house with this crazed pup holding and shaking at my trouser leg *sigh* running around the house at the speed of light.........flying across the frontroom to give you a flying headbutt *ouch* and I would go threw it all again! Altho she does now and again grab my trouser leg...speeds around the garden like her arse is on fire lol But I guees thats the terrier in them :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whew... Thanks for the reassurance!!!

I've never met such a young pit and didn't know what to expect. That he most likely comes from fighters had me a bit worried as I was afraid he might have more aggression/prey drive... than a pup from a show line. He's supposed to be six weeks old tomorrow but his eyes are still blue and he still toddles. I think they under estimated his age, or maybe I'm comparing him to the litter of Shih tzu/schnauzer pups we just had and they mature faster being small dogs.

He's probably just being a male terrier. I've heard of people dragging Jack Russels around on their cuff before. He is sweet when you pick him up but will chew on you, I think he really misses not having been able to nurse long enough. I tried to give him a bit of chicken last night and he rammed his nose into my palm and sucked on it. :(

The other dogs are taking him down a peg. We have two mothers, the world greatest auntie, a grouchy old bitch who wouldn't harm a pup but doesn't like them at all and Uncle Alex, a hugh German shepherd who sounds as if he will eat puppies up but tollerates their antics more than most. When the pup gets sassy he gets put in his place. We have two Plott hound/pit pups who are 4.5 months old and they play too roughly with him if I don't watch them. When he's feeling put upon he heads for the Shih tzu family who have a longer fuse, although I did find Lei Tzu, the mom, in the back room sitting at the back of the farthest crate. I guess she figured he wouldn't find her there. LOL

Gracelyn...I'm SO sorry to hear about your bite. Could they reattach your finger?? I was bitten badly enough when our pointer/hound and German shepherd decided to kill each other. I thought having my finger split open was bad enough -- I can't imagine this. I'm afraid of pit bulls too -- well strange ones anyway. But then it's good to be leery of any strange large dog. The ones I really avoid are the Chihuahuas. They bite like pirhana and are too fast to stop.

I read an article the other day and found out for the first time that pits can be excellent SAR dogs. I know they are smart, but it never occurred to me that they would be used for this. Maybe if more of them get out there the breed can start having a different reputation.

My avitar is Gloria a young pit we adopted several months ago. When she was only about four months old she was beaten so badly by the woman who owned her that it has fused her jaw and caused extensive and permanent brain damage. She was to be a fighter and I guess it didn't work out so the woman tried to kill her. Then she was dragging her through the street in Manhattan of all places to sell as a bait dog. She was bought by an angel for $50 and rehabilitated as much as is possible. She's from fighting stock and is very sweet and loving, so I guess I shouldn't worry about this pup so much. Poor little guy doesn't even have a name yet. Have to think of something.

Peace,
Jane and the Hole in the Wall Gang
[/img]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts