Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good tips? I've been working on OB with Abby as much as I can but it seems boring to her, and not just her but me too, I need some ideas to make this seem more fun for us. Abby and I both know most commands and can do them ALL well, but my trainer told me to work on obedience more and i'm not sure what else to do. Maybe make it more fun? Work on my come command probably and the target (agility distance work).

Tips anyone?

Oh yeah, and I use clicker/reward training method. If that's helpful.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Before I can help you, explain the things that make your dog go absolutely nuts. ANYTHING. What motivates her? NO no the clicker. Is it food? What kind of food? Be specific. Have you imprinted her on a specific toy? Do you know what that means? If not, I will explain.

YOu have to know what makes your dog motivated. Before you do OB, NEVER EVER FEED YOUR DOG. If you feed twice a day, do your ob just before feeding. A hungry dog has higher prey. THIS MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE in the speed of execution.

Having a motivated dog, with high prey and high ball or tug drive will make OB easier.

A pet on the head for most dogs is NOT a big enough motivation. Again, plan to succeed. Do not train if you do not have all the equipment. Get a training vest. Have a ball, tug, pinch collar, weiners weiners weiners in a zip lock bag, and an e-collar (advanced tool - excellent for speeding up execution).

You can write a book on this subject. It is hard to explain in just one paragraph and MANY MANY brilliant trainers have done this better than I.

However, I do believe training a bulldog is ESPECIALLY HARD. Stubborn beyond belief. High pain tolerance. Very short attention span. Some are higher in defence drive than prey. That is why you do not see many english bulldogs in OB competitions. You always see border collies and belgian malinois. High prey. Flash!
SPEED OF EXECUTION SHOULD ALWAYS BE YOUR GOAL.

However, think about what makes your dog SUPER motivated. That is why I use both food and toy. If rubbing my tummy and jumping on a rock makes my dog more motivated I will do it.

Clickers are good for chaining a command with a reward. Why not just say "good"? Same thing. verbal cue.

CHANGE YOUR MINDSET. Maybe that is the biggest advice.
OB is a time for REWARD. NOT CORRECTIONS. If the dog is motivated, withholding a reward IS THE BIGGEST PUNISHMENT FOR A GOOD BULLDOG. Hell, my dog tries to rip apart my pants to get at the tug when he is in drive. Ob time for him is bite time, weiner time, hug time, freedome time, tug time. NOT giving him the reward makes him go CRAZY. No issues. No corrections ( :evil: until he is being an as#hole and to gain his attention. :wink: ).

To be honest, you should be awake at nights trying to figure out what makes him go crazy.

Watch the best OB trainers. They are BRUTALLY consistant, persistant, and DO THINGS IN CONSTANT MOTION. They LOOK like having fun. Because they are.

I had a bullmastiff that was sooooooooo lazy. A day without food, really made him move his bum. No corrections. Pumped up his measly prey drive. :lol:

Good luck. AND HAVE FUN. IT REALLY IS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Peter i agree i always do Ob with a reward and build lots of drive.With my boy boris his lov eof his life is the "ball" he only gets to play with this with only me and only when building drive so he freaks. I make him miss a few times then reward him,fight him a bit then he gets it. Do this lots and lots and he will be of the ground happy to work. You must find what makes your dog tick,toys,food,balls,some people even use gloves whatever will make them work. This is done in baby steps.OB shouldnt be all about corrections.your dog should work for you because it wants to not because its scared not to.
Your dog just seems to need a pick me up.Find it and you guys will become a bettter closer team in anything you do

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Abby really responds well to Red Barn Liver Treats, it comes in like this suasage roll and I cut it up into tiny pieces. I also feed her twice a day so she is hungry when I work her. I've never tried the tug toy but she LOVES tugging, so i could try that too. Abby loves to work OB or whatever, agility and even bike riding but whenever I try repetition like target work she begins to get sloppy. I thought repetition was good? Am I doing too much repetition if she starts to get bored of it?

Also, is there a certain age when they start to focus more? Or it all depends on how you train em'?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.