Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this done? Any good websites with more information about it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do titers on my dogs, as I'm not a fan of over vaccinating. I do the puppy series and have adult dogs still showing immunity, so I don't need to vaccinate. Titers aren't fool proof, but neither are vaccines really.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just keep in mind that it's not uncommon for dogs to test a false positive when in fact the dog is truly no longer immune (or has an acceptable immunity level) to certain viruses/diseases.

As someone said, it's not foolproof but it is costly & can cost your dog his/her wellbeing.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you reccomend it?

(Sorry I replied so late, just brought up this topic again.)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would get in touch with a holistic vet and get some info from them as well. I feed raw and don't vaccinate my adult dogs and the worst illness I've had ever was bordatella which my 9 week old pup picked up at the vet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The theory of over vaccinating (i.e. following “typical” immunization schedules) to “protect” dogs is counterintuitive. What about the increased risk from side effects of these “extra” injections? Granted a titers is not a 100%, but it is at least “something” to go by. In fact, in many areas of the country, a titers test’s provides documentation for legal purposes such as travel certification, boarding, classes, licenses, etc.

Some of the diseases you are allegedly protecting the dog from are minor compared to the side effects of the yearly “booster” shots. For example, Leptospirosis is often not the same serotype as used in the vaccine. And the bacterin used for Lepto is prone to many side-effects.

Titers are a viable solution in my book. Zeus isn’t due for any yet, but or vet fully supports and recommends them and we will use them when the time comes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts