Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
I prefer uncropped, although I have seen a few that were very well done.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Pit bulls? I do like the look. I just hate the thought of hurting pups for vanity's sake! I think boxers look better with floppy ears.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
not a fan of cropping or docking (unless medically necessary). to me it seems like humane insanity gone overboard

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I like the way it looks. I don't know that I'd ever really have it done if I had another pup, but maybe.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
do the dew said:
I'm a big fan, but I'm picky about it. I don't like too low, or too high.
Yeah, if it's not done right, it can look really bad.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I think some dogs look great with cropped ears, but I'm with Trina: I hate the idea of putting a pet through pain to permanently alter their appearance. It's pure selfishness on the part of the owners. Granted, most of the things we do with our pet are selfish, but most of those things don't involve putting our pets through pain or risking their death.

·
Registered
719 Posts
To me cropping and docking are very different.

I have no problem with docking tails IF it's done at 3 days and if it's not too short a dock. It takes about 2 minutes and the puppies are fine as soon as they're back with mom. The tails heal quickly. Argueably there's even a practical element to it...some long tailed dogs do major damage to their tails by wagging, hitting it, etc., and docking as puppy is much less of an issue than amputing the tail of an adult dog. Our retriever (not a docked breed) had major tail issues for the first few years...constantly hitting the tip and it kept splitting open...I was worried he'd need an amputation, but I managed to teach him not to wag it (by making him sit until that initial excitement wore off :roll: ).

Ear crops are another story entirely. The puppies are older. They need to be put under anesthetic. The ears are stitched, taped, fussed with. In this case there's no practical element to it at all anymore. We're not bull-baiting or fighting or anything else in which the ears get damaged. In additon, removing that flap of ear tissue also opens up the ear canal to possible injury, so I see it as a cruel and unneccessary cosmetic surgery.

And on top of it all...I think it's terribly ugly.

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
Rue2 said:
To me cropping and docking are very different.

I have no problem with docking tails IF it's done at 3 days and if it's not too short a dock. It takes about 2 minutes and the puppies are fine as soon as they're back with mom. The tails heal quickly. Argueably there's even a practical element to it...some long tailed dogs do major damage to their tails by wagging, hitting it, etc., and docking as puppy is much less of an issue than amputing the tail of an adult dog. Our retriever (not a docked breed) had major tail issues for the first few years...constantly hitting the tip and it kept splitting open...I was worried he'd need an amputation, but I managed to teach him not to wag it (by making him sit until that initial excitement wore off :roll: ).

Ear crops are another story entirely. The puppies are older. They need to be put under anesthetic. The ears are stitched, taped, fussed with. In this case there's no practical element to it at all anymore. We're not bull-baiting or fighting or anything else in which the ears get damaged. In additon, removing that flap of ear tissue also opens up the ear canal to possible injury, so I see it as a cruel and unneccessary cosmetic surgery.

And on top of it all...I think it's terribly ugly.

I fall into Rue's catagory. Tails - ok / ears - no. Besides I like floppy ears.
I like waggely tails too, until they clear a table or leave blood all over the walls.
:wink:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It all depends on the dog. Some crops look good on certain dogs and others just shouldnt have it done. I like the floppy ear look! I remember when Legend was a baby little apple head and huge ears! lol..And Gemyni has goofy ears. I love them. They sit high and look like bangs on a little girl. and then she moves them to the side of her head like satelitties(sp) LOL

·
Registered
719 Posts
...heh...yeah...Celeste's ears sit a little high on her head too...gives her so much expression! :D

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
I go both ways, I am really torn on this issue..I would prefer not to cut off any part of a dog..but I have had a litter of boxer pups tails docked at 48 hours old..they still yip..I dont know..ears I am a little more against only because I used to volunteer at a local vets office and watched the procedure and just dont like it :pukeleft: ..I have seen some nice jobs done and the dogs looked great (definitley a cosmetic thing though)..

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I definately like docked tails.

Ears.... well, if done by a professional, and not too short, I do like the look. But I don't think I would ever have it done.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm better off with tails.

However, if thinking about cropping, spend your hard earned money elsewhere. Dogs are not fashion accessories to look cool or to make a their owner look cool, so don't treat them as such.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just did a college essay on this very subject. After lots of research,
I am totally against cosmetic surgery on animals. Too painful and
very unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts