Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some new pics of Loki our 16wk old AmStaff, and our new 8wk old Siberian Huskie Odin.

ENJOY!

Sleep time

Loki the pretty boy

Tug time! Not much of a contest, but Loki doesnt rip it away hard, and lets him have a tug back before taking it from him. Odin is a fiesty little bugger :)

Odin trying to steal Loki's pig ear... Loki was not impressed after about 10minutes of putting up with it, and told him off :)

Hope you all enjoyed!

If anyone has any training advice, please look at

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=36284

I posted here about something similar, but did not get any replys, so if anyone has any advice, good or bad, please tell me! I dont care if you call me a moron then go on to give advice!

Steve

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Beatiful dogs! Thanks for sharing those :)

What topic did you post under that you wanted advice from?What was it titled?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Awwwww! They're both gorgeous. That little Odin is just the cutest thing I've ever seen. He looks like a baby wolf.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Abby,

Ill repost it here, this is a direct cut and paste from the one i posted today!

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my original post, we were purchasing an 8wk old Siberian Huskie on friday that we organised through a breeder. We currently have a 4 month old AmStaff named Loki.

The first night went fine, Odin (the huskie) and Loki played fine, even though Odin was very rough, they were having a great time. They were introduced slowly, and the huskie was a bit apprehensive, he growled a little and didnt want to know Loki. After a bit, they came around and started playing fine (even though Odin was a bit rough).

This is where problem 1 occured: Odin has very sharp little teeth, bites very hard and fast and when he bites, he does a quick shake of his head and darts off again. He does this constantly when he is playing with Loki, now the problem is, Loki is being very gentle with Odin, and if Odin yelps, he stops straight away, but when Odin bites Loki, Loki does not yelp or tell him off and poor Lokis jowels and cheeks are all cut and raw from play fighting, its like he is immune to pain, this is bad.

How do i teach an 8wk old pup Bite Inhibition when Loki wont let him know he is biting too hard?

Issue 2: Loki and Odin have been getting along great, but it seems Odin is a very dominant little pup (which is what i worried about when i got him, but when we seen him, he wasnt dominant around his brothers and sisters, or mum etc). He has NEVER rolled over on his belly, and constantly tries to jump up and push Lokis head down, or bite his back and back of his neck when Loki has a tug toy or something. If Loki has a toy, and Odin wants it, its all good, they can play together no worries, but if Odin gets the toy first, he will be very snappy and snarly to keep that toy and keep Loki away (odin is 8wks). There have been a few show downs so far, Loki gets fed first, and half way through Lokis food we put down Odins food bowl about 1ft away from Lokis and let him eat next to him. We are hoping to build their friendship up by letting them eat near each other, but let Loki eat first.
At one stage during this, Odin ran up to Lokis bowl while he was eating (i let Odin go, wanting to see what would happen and if Loki was going to tell him off for the first time, or Odin was going to try and push Loki away from his food bowl, im not sure if this was stupid, but at this stage, Odin had to learn Loki was boss). Odin ran up to Loki's bowl and tried to eat out of it, but Loki growled low and Odin didnt leave, so Loki "went" for him, he didnt try and bite, but chased him off snapping and groweling (i have never seen him do this before). After this happened, Odin has not went near him and his food since.

Is this normal? I dont want any aggression between them, but im trying to engineer that Loki is the boss (he is bigger, stronger, but is very relaxed and easy going). I need Odin to know early that Loki is the boss, so there are no issues in the future and Odin getting hurt.
If Odin is very snappy over toys and such, should i take them away from him? I noticed last night he found a small knuckle bone, and Loki wandered over and Odin growled at him and Loki just wandered off, not even fussed. Is this normal too? Wouldnt the alpha take the bone he wanted?

Should i pretty much leave them to work out who is boss themselves? Or should i be doing more? Is there any way, or anything else i can do to let Odin know Loki is the alpha? It just seems Loki has a very easy going temperament with dogs he knows, but also very dominant on the other hand, likes to push other pups to the ground and put his neck over theirs etc.

He does this to Odin, but Odin just fights to get up and they go back to playing.

Odin is currently being crate trained at night, and watched during the day, as he is not house broken. Loki sleeps next to me on the bed, or next to the bed on the floor next to me.

Oppinions are very wanted, positive or negative, tell me if i am a moron or not, i dont care, i just want to learn!

Sorry for the long read.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Your pictures are beautiful. I had to laugh because straight away I noticed the marks all over Loki's jowels from the pup. My AB looks just like that from our Husky mix pup! She bites and tears at poor Chopper's face and he lets her do it. I keep yelling at her (our girls name is Sosi) to stop, but he doesn't seem to care. I'm thinking at this point she still has her "puppy license" and as she grows, he will let her know when he's had enough. Bullies have such high pain tolerence.

Let me ask you this, why do you want Loki to be the boss? You've gotta let them sort this out on their own, or you could cause more harm than good. They will decide who's the boss. That's the way it should be. It doesn't matter who's bigger, it's about who's more dominant. Our male AB is the dominant one in our house and we cater to him as the leader of the four dogs. He eats first, he gets affection first, etc. The other dogs accept their roles and have yet to try to challenge him for postition. If you try to change the way they need it to be it could be trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts