Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know im a bad speller sometimes but was too lazy to look up proper spelling so oh well...

Anyhow Masons alllergys are in full swing this summer, still getting used to it but im just curious he takes about 30mg of meds a day twice a day and it maintains his redness and itchy really well but the moment he's off of it BOOM! :shock: Its back...My only concern is, can he ever be given too much of the meds?? I mean I dont know if it is only a short term cure or if I can just keep giving it to him as long as his allergys come out...

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Obelisk said:
I know im a bad speller sometimes but was too lazy to look up proper spelling so oh well...

Anyhow Masons alllergys are in full swing this summer, still getting used to it but im just curious he takes about 30mg of meds a day twice a day and it maintains his redness and itchy really well but the moment he's off of it BOOM! :shock: Its back...My only concern is, can he ever be given too much of the meds?? I mean I dont know if it is only a short term cure or if I can just keep giving it to him as long as his allergys come out...
Just checking :-k ...are U sure it is only seasonal :?: cuz if it is you may need to just get him a once a month shot for that time (from your vet...) but if it is all the time it could be his diet ect...I am just shooting in the dark...I do know that prolonged use of any med is not good in dogs and/or humans :( ..they always have some kind of side effect..

Good Luck..let us know..

e

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i say seasonal because everyone else's bullie seems to have the same thing, red bumps on belly that itch.. but It has crossed my mind it could be his food, because it all started when we switched him to RC... so im thinking bout switching him again but to DVP, he loves the RC wont leave a bite left but if it's making him have allergys ill change it...

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
One thing to remember about an antihistamine is that it does dehydrate fluids from your system. During this hot weather this could cause your dog a problem plus it could also over work your dog's kidneys with prolonged use. Make sure he is drinking pleanty of water and it might be a good idea to check with your vet if this is an ongoing problem.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im gonna bring him in this weekend, my vet specializes in bullies, unfortunately he's 25 minutes away which isnt bad but he;s way overworked and way understaffed so even if I show up at 6m saturday morning I wont get out of there any ealier then 12....crazy but worth it to keep Mason happy n healthy

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Obelisk said:
Im gonna bring him in this weekend, my vet specializes in bullies, unfortunately he's 25 minutes away which isnt bad but he;s way overworked and way understaffed so even if I show up at 6m saturday morning I wont get out of there any ealier then 12....crazy but worth it to keep Mason happy n healthy

Let us know what the vet says - we care plus we could learn something.
:wink:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Try DVP Duck and Potatoe - it is their anti-allergy formula. It has no soy, no wheat, no corn and no chicken - its the best bet to prevent any allergies. My Magnum LOVES LOVES LOVES it and she looks TONS healthier since getting on it. Her coat is much shinier and she is just much more energetic.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thatd be the one im going with...everytime I go to petsmart or petco I get them mixed up... they are always sold out.. im thinking just order it online and be done with it...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I've done all the food stuff and elimination diets and it turned out that Chico is just really allergic to pollen and grass. I'm sure there are a couple of other things but I haven't gotten him tested so I don't know for sure. Since you live in SoCal, I can tell you that my vet hasn't seen pollen and hayfever this bad in a long time. He said that he has had tons of patients complaining about itchy dogs this year. Chico is basically a walking scab right now. We got some Malaseb wipes that I have to clean in between his toes with twice a day, some ear stuff for the itchy yeasty ears, and some medicinal/ herbal/ powder to be added to his food for the itchy skin. We've only been doing this for 3 days now but I've seen a lot of improvement allready. It wasn't cheap though. Also, depending on which pollens they are allergic to, seasonal allergies can often turn into year round allergies. I think I'm gonna have to send Chico to Alaska every summer if this keeps up! :wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
my tank got those red bumps on his belly when he rolling around the grass at my parent's house in mission viejo (**heidi, my parents live by lake mission viejo at canyon crest off alicia, pretty cool**). i sent him to the vet and they just said he was allergic to the grass cause bullies have sensitive skin on their stomach, especially at a young age. i'm not sure what your tyke is going through, but just a thought for you. and yes, the pollen count has been its worse in many years says the docs. :eek:ccasion5: cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts