Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old American Bulldog has been Diagnosed with Hip Displaysia and I have been told to watch his calcium intake. The reason I'm posting about this is due to me noticing that a Vitamin that I have been giveing him (at the recomendaiton of the breeder) has 100MG of calcium in it. Should I stop giving him this and is it too much for a pup?

Once again, thanks to everyone for your comments and thoughts

·
Registered
979 Posts
ehackler said:
My 6 month old American Bulldog has been Diagnosed with Hip Displaysia and I have been told to watch his calcium intake. The reason I'm posting about this is due to me noticing that a Vitamin that I have been giveing him (at the recomendaiton of the breeder) has 100MG of calcium in it. Should I stop giving him this and is it too much for a pup?

Once again, thanks to everyone for your comments and thoughts
Everything I've read says it is not a good idea to supplement calcium with pups because it messes up their bones (something more technical than that that I can't recall). I would stop.

Paula

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
You need to also check into the food that you are feeding. Some kibbles that rate very highly have way too much calcium in them. Innova Evo, is notorious for this. This isn't dangerous to adult dogs because their body will excrete the excess calcium that isn't needed. But puppies can't do this so the extra calcium will be absorbed and it can be very detrimental to the development of your puppy. I think the excess calcium is more of a problem with things like Pano or growth problems but I'm not too sure. Since I don't feed kibble, I really don't know what the proper amount of calcium is needed. But I know with a homecooked or raw diet, you add 900mgs. of calcium per pound of meat consumed.

Personally, I would try to find a supplement that doesn't have the calcium in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.