Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if I have asked this before, but Roxy's mum was 9 years old when she had Roxy (litter of 9) one of her sisters has a problem with drinking, and has to be offered water regulary or she will dehydrate, one of the pups died at 3days with clifplate(sp) You think this could be down to the age of the mom and the size of the litter ?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
cleftpalet has been linked to to much vitamin a during a pregnancy, tho it can also be genetic. as for the age thing, they suggest that 2 -5 is the prime time for a bitch to have litters but 9 is not at all unheard of

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
AllAmericanPUP said:
imo 9 is way too old to be having puppies, i dont think a bitch should be bred after 5 years of age

oh i don't disagree but in regards to the problems listed, i doubt age was the reason

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
My friend has a 5 year old female rott. He was going to breed her, but never found the time(thank god). He finally went and got her spayed, because she was too old to have pups.

I think 9 is too old, but I'm not sure what the effects that would have on breeding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maxine is now 6 years old. I asked my vet the same question. She told me that as long as Maxine was healthy and had no complications with the pregnancy, that she could be bred up to age 8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts