Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going on a hike the other day, I was checking out Chico's feet and I noticed that his toenail was extremely short. It's completely frayed at the end and his quick is hanging out. It looks pretty weird but he doesn't seem too worried about it. I trim his nails a little every week so it wasn't even long enough to hit the ground. I have no idea how it got this way. Also, the last two times we've gone hiking, Chico's gotten cut on his toes. He doesn't even notice it but there's usually alot of blood. I check to make sure that nothing is in the skin. I don't know if there is something I can do to toughen his paws. He runs on gravel in our backyard every day so I'm not sure what the problem is with his paws. Any advice would be appreciated! Sorry about the ugly pics......I swear I cleaned his feet immediatly after taking these!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It looks alright. My dogs in the past has ripped their nails all the way off and in a few weeks you see it growing back. As for toughning his feet I have no idea sorry.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
In the pictures, his pads look really swollen. Are they swollen or are they this large normally. I have heard if people want to toughen up there hands to soak them in salt water. Do know this would help the healing process for Chico. What is the terrain like where you are hiking? Is it dirt or is it more slate and stone? If it is slate and stone this may be what is cutting his paws. Some of this type of terrain is like walking on cut glass. We use to go hiking in Maine and there was alot of slate and jagged rock, always had cuts somewhere. Give Chico a hug and kiss from Clara and me. :D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the trail that we've been walking on is mostly dirt and gravel. His pads are always really big. He has chubby feet! Maybe it's the gravel... I don't know. :-k We went again this morning and his feet look pretty good so maybe he stepped on something weird those other times. Thanks for the help! I was mostly worried about the nail.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
The nail looks okay. Abby's nails get like that all the time just from playing in the yard or going for a walk on the gravel. As for the paw, do you know where it's bleeding from? Do you feel anything within his paw? I ask this, because maybe there was a tiny piece of glass left on the trail that cut or went in his paw.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cut looks like a small paper cut on his toe. Both times, the cut was really small and he didn't even notice it. It looks much worse than it was. I checked for glass in his foot and didn't see any but that could definitly be what happened. I see broken glass all the time when we're out walking and it makes me so nervous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts