Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have a question. Our new pup is 10 weeks old and chews EVERYTHING! I know it is normal and I'm ok with it but she only seems interested in things she cannot have. Wires, sippy cups, pacifiers, and the kids toys. I will take them away and say "no" and replace what ever it is she is chewing on with one of her toys and try and play with her for a minute. She shows no interest in her stuff. Just everyone else's. How long did it take for you guys to get your pups to chew on their toys and leave everything else alone?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Rachel Zugg said:
ok I have a question. Our new pup is 10 weeks old and chews EVERYTHING! I know it is normal and I'm ok with it but she only seems interested in things she cannot have. Wires, sippy cups, pacifiers, and the kids toys. I will take them away and say "no" and replace what ever it is she is chewing on with one of her toys and try and play with her for a minute. She shows no interest in her stuff. Just everyone else's. How long did it take for you guys to get your pups to chew on their toys and leave everything else alone?
Do you replace the thing with something similar? For instance, if he's chewing on the chair leg replace it with a hard bone, not a stuffie? How long did it take for them to stop chewing on everything.....er I don't think you'll like the answer. About a year or so for the ridgebacks.

Paula

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: I figured it would take a long time to stopthe chewing. I just hope it gets better and she will chew on her stuff and not the kids. She likes my daughter's stuffies and I replace them with her stuffies, but she just is not interested in her things. uuuugh I guess I better try the treat filled toys!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Bella was probably about 4 or 5 months old before she stopped chewing on everything in sight. It's unfair to expect puppies to know what toys belong to them and what other fun household items are off limits. Everything looks like a toy to them! Praise her like crazy when she plays with her own toys, and re-direct her attention when she's chewing on something inappropriate. If she's not crazy about stuffies, maybe you could take her to the pet store (when she's completed her vaccination rounds, of course), and let her pick out her own toy. My dogs usually just pick the closest toy they can reach, but it's fun to watch them get excited about it...haha.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Rachel Zugg said:
:lol: I figured it would take a long time to stopthe chewing. I just hope it gets better and she will chew on her stuff and not the kids. She likes my daughter's stuffies and I replace them with her stuffies, but she just is not interested in her things. uuuugh I guess I better try the treat filled toys!
I think the problem with the stuffies is that she doesn't have the capacity to differentiate between her stuffies (appropriate to chew), and your daughter's stuffies (inappropriate to chew).

Paula

·
Registered
4 Posts
My puppy turned one in June. After about 6 months or so old, he did stop gnawing on just about everything he wasn't suppose to be gnawing on. Now that he is a year old, it seems he is back to his old puppy ways! I think a lot has to do with leaving him alone when we go out. I think he gets mad at us and chews our things. He has destroyed 2 remotes (cable co. loves him lol) and numerous shoes and flip flops seem to be his favorite. We now do a sweep through the house before leaving him making sure everything and anything is out of reach. We used to crate him but lol he somehow managed to wreck the cage and get out, so now we just let him be free. I try and buy toys that claim to be "tough" lol I don't think these companies tested these toys with pits. I'd buy him kong toys which are destroyed in days. I have tried ropes too. The last one I got was huge and a little on the expensive side and he destroyed that in a matter of hours lol little strings everywhere and the rope reduced to a pile of thread he loves carrying around. If anyone has a suggestion about a toy they use or a friend uses I'd love to hear it. I need him to keep busy with his own things and I am running out of money on these lame toys that are anything but tough. Thank you chapsnholly for suggesting the nylabone, I will most certainly try that. I am open to any other suggestions! Right now I am off for the summer, I am a TA during the school year, and when September rolls around my chewy pup will be alone for most of the day!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
gazar said:
Clara was 18 months old before she started chewing on just her toys.
She still will get a hold of napkins any time she can.
:D
My dogs are total napkin whores! :lol: It must be so satifying for them to rip a napkin or paper towel to shreds. My dogs love following me around the house on cleaning day!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys.... I know she can't help it, I just wondered what age your guys started chewing on just their toys. I have given her a couple of the kids stuffies that she seems to like. My kids seem to have two or more of everything! I think I'll take her to the petstore when she is done with her shots and let her have what she wants! Thanks for the idea Leeann!

·
Registered
465 Posts
My male still chews things and he is comming up on two but it's not all the time> And my female is only five months old and its started all over again they have so many toys laying aroung but they love my daughters BARBIES more then anything in the world. As far as toys they don't kill in five minutes i buy them gocart tires without the metal wire in them.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Both mine still chew on things and they are going on 1 and 2. Scalret is getting better...she still eats clothes though! She loves all fabric! LOL

Clutch likes to wake up in the middle of the night and break into the bathroom(when we forget to close the door all the way) and he steals all the toilet paper...I wake up to him sleeping in the living room floor with toilet paper everywhere and him all wrapped up like a mummy. He also likes to chew walls?!?!?! He goes to all the door jams and scrapes and scrapes till all the paint is off....there are nuts!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bam only shreds newspaper. He loves his toys but he destroys them too. I've yet to buy an "indestructible" dog toy. Nothing has held up yet, if anyone has found one let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.