Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lilly is going in for TPLO surgery on Friday. Anyone with any advice on recovery and what to expect? I'm totally sick with worry. She's such a great dog, I wish I could explain to her whats about to happen. The guilt is overwhelming.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Hey again - as I said before - Mags did not have the TPLO but she did have her ACL repaired - the most important thing is KEEP HER CALM!! Which I know, believe me, is impossible with bullies. If Lilly likes her crate that is the best bet - keep her in there as much as possible - my ortho surgeon told me NO OFF LEASH even just to potty - for 3 months!! Magnum hates her kennel so I kept her leash tied around my waist for the most part to make sure she didnt try to run in the apartment or jump on anything, but crating is the easiest. You surgeon will give you more specifics - but they really do rebound fast!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much - you've been so helpful and the pics you sent me helped the whole family know what to expect when she comes home. I'm such a baby about this. She's just has no idea what we're about to put her through.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
L & L said:
Thanks so much - you've been so helpful and the pics you sent me helped the whole family know what to expect when she comes home. I'm such a baby about this. She's just has no idea what we're about to put her through.
I know - it was traumatic for me to see Mags like that when I went to pick her up because I had never seen pictures of what she would look like - and she looked butchered to me!!! Its really hard- but they really do rebound fast - thats pretty much the problem - within a week they tihnk they can do everything they could before and will try to run even though you can't let them - the toughest part (other than seeing them like that) is just keeping them calm!! I used a lot of frozen kongs with PB in them - those would keep her occupied for hours!! Let me know if you have any questions when she gets home! FYI - I freaked out because Mags wouldnt eat or drink for 2 days after the surgery - but the vet said it was normal because of all the fluids they had given her - I didn't need to worry about dehydration unless she didn't drink after about 3 days

·
Registered
175 Posts
My dog (the one leaping of a cement wall in my avatar, lol) had a TPLO last year and fully recovered quickly with no complications. I highly reccomend joining the Yahoo group "orthodogs" There is so much advice, knowlege and support on there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow - looks super active thats very encouraging. How old is your dog?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's a great group :) Kismet is 3. She had a TPLO in Sept. of 05' and you'd never guess. I highly reccomend swimming your dog after surgery (once the bone has healed) it does wonders for building the leg strength back up and stopping the muscle atrophy that will happen with confinement. I did a combo of swimming and treadmill work and my dog has huge muscle on both sides and went back to work with no trouble. The treadmill is great, because there is no chance of them bolting, turning or jumping and undoing the surgery. So it's a more controlled way to excersise them. I'm lucky that my dog loved the treadmill and swimming before the injury, so it was easy, but most dogs take to it well with treats, lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

It's been a week since Lilly had her TPLO surgery - when we brought her home she was so sick and her leg looked like a piece of meat - soooo bruised and she could barely walk. Today - WOW!!! trying to keep her calm is extremely difficult and she puts more weight on that leg than she did before the surgery. 7 more weeks to go before she can exercise again. It's gonna be tough to keep her down.

Thanks you for your support. (I think it was worse for me than for her)

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's great she's doing well. It's a long 8 weeks, but worth it. Did you get rehab instructions from your vet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so far no excerise at all - just out to the bathroom and back. She goes in for xrays at the end of the 8 wks and he'll give us further instructions then.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm glad the surgery went well! Sadie just had her 4 week x-ray on her second TPLO and the vet said everything looks great. We are trying to get her to do some swimming- but not having very much luck!
Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lilly hates the water too cold I think - cause baths are fine. I can't wait to start letting her get some exercise. She looks so depressed in the kennel, especially when her sister is outside playing. I take her out to let her lay in the sun, but that's about it. It sure stinks for her.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Im glad everything went well with Lilly - I told ya it would be worse on you than her - LOL!! And keeping them calm is the hardest part! I'm glad she rebounded quickly!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts