Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I found You Tube I can finally upload the tracking video that Tia's husband Jeff recorded for me. It was too large for Putfile. Watching tracking is never the most exciting thing but I just thoguht I would share anyways. Tracking is usually the least favorite phase of most Schutzhund people but I actually kinda like it. I find it very relaxing (which the other phases are defintiely not, especially with Rosco) and I find it to be a great way to bond with your dog. This video shows the beginning of a track, up to the first article. You will see Rosco "down" to indicate it. After that, Jeff stopped filming because video takes up too much space on his camera. That was about the first 1/4 of his track, if that. It doesn't look like much but it takes alot of time to get a dog to track like that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1L4D5TQxGU

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bremner53 said:
I don't think there is a test, but I'm sure Loki would be good at it, as long as she is hungry :lol: :D
Yup, all you need is a dog with good food drive!!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lisa - SET A DATE!!!!! hehe Smile
Oh no, not you now!! I thought my training director was giving me enough grief now you too!! Geez, got an email AND phone call today plus all the harrassment at the trial. You guys just won't give up! :shock:

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
He looks really focused! Maybe I should get Abby into it, sometimes when were doing agility practice, she'll drop her head randomly and go on a trail for a treat someone dropped lol.

How did you get started? Can I train it at home or do I need to take tracking classes?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
augrad said:
That's pretty cool. :D Do you hold the lead up so high so as to not give any cues, or what?
No, I hold it up high so it stays under his front leg. If I lower it too much it will come out from under it and I don't want that. I find having the line under the front leg helps with giving light corrections on the track and keeping the head down. Just a preference.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Lisa said:
Lisa - SET A DATE!!!!! hehe Smile
Oh no, not you now!! I thought my training director was giving me enough grief now you too!! Geez, got an email AND phone call today plus all the harrassment at the trial. You guys just won't give up! :shock:
Oh just do it! :lol: You know you will feel better after you do....

·
Registered
724 Posts
That is a cool video!!! GOOD JOB Rosco!!

I think Dion would be good at it ... that is how she walks out of our apartment .. head down, sniffing the entire time! Maybe because there are about 12 other dogs that live in our complex and she is smelling all of them. Not that that means she would be good at tracking ...

I'm rambling. Good video of Rosco. I want to see more!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
That was awesome Lisa.I have a question and it may be stupid but I dont know much about tracking.What is it he is sniffing for??? How does that work?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Looking good. Seems really relaxing, I really want to get into something like that when I'm older. I remember seeing a German Shephard do it when I was still in school.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kelly said:
That was awesome Lisa.I have a question and it may be stupid but I dont know much about tracking.What is it he is sniffing for??? How does that work?
He is sniffing my scent. He is following my footsteps. This is what he will be required to do for a SCH I tracking title. Min 300 paces. For a SCH II and III they have to follow the footsteps of a stranger. There are also turns on the track and articles that they must indicate.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Lisa said:
Kelly said:
He is sniffing my scent. He is following my footsteps. This is what he will be required to do for a SCH I tracking title. Min 300 paces. For a SCH II and III they have to follow the footsteps of a stranger. There are also turns on the track and articles that they must indicate.
Oh, I thought he was finding food. :D Nevermind, I couldn't do that

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's awesome! He's doing good! How did you get him started on it?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, I thought he was finding food. Very Happy Nevermind, I couldn't do that
Actually, food is used to teach the dog to track. In the beginning stages EVERY footstep is baited with a small piece of food placed in the toe of each footstep. (usually a piece of kibble or a small piece of hotdog). Gradually, you take the food off until eventually they can track without it. At the trial there is no food on the track at all! Teaching a dog to track is basically a good example of the process of elimination!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts