Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have picked up my Staffy and after 4 days he is finally acting a bit more sociable and the cat we have has stopped going into an agressive posture and just gives him a playful swat (mostly without his stubby clipped nails included) as he walks by.

Now that things have calmed down I was wondering, and feel free to respond with a link to previous thread, I am going to start training him to sit tonight, then move on to down then go from there. Can I take him out on a leash now, even though he tolerates his collar at best and has no idea what the leash is?

He is still shy with me (but, I am 6'2" 240lbs) and even hunched down I am still pretty imposing. I read on here in the 'building confidence' thread that using the embilical cord method works wonders with passive dogs. I am not sure if mine is passive or still adjusting to a new home but, sometimes he will come right up to me and other times he will do the jumping around 3 feet from me and when I reach run to a corner and come back in a few seconds. Will the umbillical cord method be a good way to bring him out of his shell faster.

He is 5 months old.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
sorry, i missed it, how old is he? puppies in the 8-12 week range do best with short 5 minute training sessions (attention span of fruit flies ). short sweet and possitive but you can do them numerous times thru out the day . i have never used the tethering method for any training so i can't help you out with that but just having him around you as much as possible, hand feeding when you can and being calm and consistant with him will get him use to you pretty quickly. puppies usually bond pretty quick with their primary caregiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts