Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last training lesson, my trainer made us all walk forward with our dogs (us expecting him to give the sit command or summit) and then shouted 'break off and play with your dogs' So we stop and looked at him....I bent down and stroked Roxy and praised her......the trainers response was 'jeesh, u lot do not know how to play with your dogs, like so many ppl'

So my question is 'How to you play with ur dog as part of a reward?'

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Well, I have found that the way a woman plays with a dog is totally different than a guy. A guy wants to rough up the coat, push the head back and forth and make the dog jump up. To me, this only gets the dog excited and makes it difficult when you want the dog to stay on focus. I am like you, gentle play, just to let the dog relax from the moment and to let the dog feel rewarded for a job well done. At the end of the whole session is the time to do more rough play. JMO. :D

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
"break" usually includes a toy (jute, ball ect) lots of jumping/movement and enthusiasm. the idea is to keep the motivation up

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
attitude said:
"break" usually includes a toy (jute, ball ect) lots of jumping/movement and enthusiasm. the idea is to keep the motivation up
Phew, i got it right then :) I jst bought Roxy a new ball on a string for her training work only, as a reward.

Pat, I asked my trainer if he meant rough play and he is dead against rough housing, the dog always ends up being told of for hurting someone, and it's un nessasary, so that told me as (I wrenched my arm out of Roxy's mouth) :p

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
personally i like the obedience jutes that k9toolbox has. in a group situation you can still "play" with them and hold a leash. for induvidual times (only dog on the field) the ball on a rope or frisbee works good. you can give you release command and throw. the dog anticipates the release and is motivated thru the working parts. my training director uses simple 1 foot sections of garden hose but man do his dogs work for playtime with that hose ! :)

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got one more little question :p Roxy has avery high prey drive (think thats the correct term). Where I work we have badgers, foxes and hedgehogs living under/around the school, so once Roxy gets the scent she is persistant to catch it. I had to pull her head out from under the school shed when she got stuck the other morning trying to get to whatever was under there. And at our school we have stuff'd animals on display ( from the natural museum) Roxy's had the tail of the fox and tries her hardest to drag me to the classroom where the badger is.

So the question is, what further training would make use of this high prey drive?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
a dog with a high prey/play drive makes life alot easier lol, but it can be frustrating with a dog that has that animal aggression, willy was like that as well. the trick is to make yourself more "fun" than chasing that rabbit, squirrel, fox, cat, deer, bear , ect, ect, lmao.

·
Registered
181 Posts
attitude said:
the trick is to make yourself more "fun" than chasing that rabbit, squirrel, fox, cat, deer, bear , ect, ect, lmao.
And that can be a H*LL of a trick!!

I have a fabric tug (okay, an old knotted dishrag) that I use for quick breaks during class/training. For "all done" play, Ozy likes the Jolly Ball and Chyna likes the big rope tug.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
attitude said:
a dog with a high prey/play drive makes life alot easier lol, but it can be frustrating with a dog that has that animal aggression, willy was like that as well. the trick is to make yourself more "fun" than chasing that rabbit, squirrel, fox, cat, deer, bear , ect, ect, lmao.
Maybe if I got a squirrel out fit LOL!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
if you get a squirrel outfit i definitely want training pictures!!!!
:laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Trianing advice Please.

Roxy said:
On my last training lesson, my trainer made us all walk forward with our dogs (us expecting him to give the sit command or summit) and then shouted 'break off and play with your dogs' So we stop and looked at him....I bent down and stroked Roxy and praised her......the trainers response was 'jeesh, u lot do not know how to play with your dogs, like so many ppl'

So my question is 'How to you play with ur dog as part of a reward?'
You jump around and act like a dork. :D

Just kidding. I'm not sure if this is what he means, but I just ruff Odie up little and get him all excited. He loves to rough-house, so he'll start pawing at me, and mouthing my hands and stuff. He loves it. It's like an affirmation of his good behavior. Tala does not like to play with people like that. If you try to rough-house with her she thinks you're upset with her. She will not play like that with people (except some kids). She prefers to be groomed and pampered to affirm her good behavior.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL! u rotten lot, image if Rosco got hold of me in my squirrel outfit!

Well luckerly for me the ball on the string worked, with the trainers help the lesson went really well. Just got to get Roxy to stop jumping up to get the ball from me ....... but the trainer showed me how, he took her lead and ball made her sit, he carried on talking to me and waving the ball about, lil cow didn't move a muscle, till he said she could! so in theory I have to pull her leash away from me when she goes to jump and command her OFF. Thats a problem i have now, he goes to show me with Roxy how to correct her, but she is so darn obedient for him, that he doesn't have an oppurtunity to correct her lol :p

Next week he want to try a whistle. Do we only use whistle for recall? I hate to think I have now got to learn different whistle commands.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts