Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Many people are opposed to this, esepcailly on bully breeds but with some dogs it is needed as a last resort. But the problem with bully breeds and the shock collar is sometimes their engery level and driver and determination are so high that they wont even notice the shock.

I believe this should be used as a last resort or in addition to another form of training.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
using a shock collar can advance training or screw it up completely. i have no qualms about training with a shock collar but have been schooled on proper use. these collars are not the quick fix that alot of people seem to wish them to be. proper foundation work is still needed and knowing when and how to use the collar is very important.

·
Registered
807 Posts
attitude said:
using a shock collar can advance training or screw it up completely. i have no qualms about training with a shock collar but have been schooled on proper use. these collars are not the quick fix that alot of people seem to wish them to be. proper foundation work is still needed and knowing when and how to use the collar is very important.
Agreed!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So do you think I should try a pinch collar next, instead of the training collar? I would rather not use the training collar. I don't like them. But our trainer believes that might be our next step.

·
Registered
722 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Has anyone had to use a 'training (shock) collar'?
#1 - DO NOT just put it at whatever level you desire and then shock your dog. That can cause huge problems in training them.

You should start it out at the lowest level possible and slowly work your way up. They might not even feel the first few levels, depending on their tolerance. You should not be making the dog yelp with it. It should just be enough of a correction to get their attention.

Why do you think your dog needs a shock collar?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would never use the collar that way. I love my dogs and would never do anything to hurt them. I don't even want to use it but my trainer thinks it might be our next step since nothing has worked so far. Although I haven't tried a pinch collar yet. It's for my male puppy (five months). He has this problem with biting me for no reason. Also if he's playing with my other dog and you walk by, he'll bit whatever's in his way. I've had him checked for everything at the vet. Short of this collar, the vet wants to put him on Prozac until he's one.. I won't do that.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Have you done any positive training with your dog yet? What level is your dog at?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Wish I could help but I have a similar problem with Deuce biting. It isn't aggressive but still not acceptable. Let me know if you find something that works.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have tried positive training. We've been working on it since April and he hasn't changed. He doesn't like to do the attentiveness training either. When I try doing that he'll go after my knee caps. However when my husband does it, he is fine. I just plain out think he can't stand me. I don't know why either. He's done this since day one to me.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If your trainer is telling you to try a shock collar on a 5 month old puppy, I'd find a new trainer!! I'm sorry, but that's freakin crazy!!

Personally, I think he's too young for a pinch collar, too. Is he tug/ball motivated? Maybe try to train him with that instead of food. Does he get enough excercise? Does he have enough things to chew on?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Yes, I have tried positive training. We've been working on it since April and he hasn't changed. He doesn't like to do the attentiveness training either. When I try doing that he'll go after my knee caps. However when my husband does it, he is fine. I just plain out think he can't stand me. I don't know why either. He's done this since day one to me.

to me it sounds more like you have a respect problem with your dog and no collar is going to fix that. he "plain out can't stand you" because you are letting him. personally i think both your trainer and vet need to be changed. i simply find it ridiculous that your trainer wants to fry him and your vet wants to drug him !

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He definitely gets plenty of exercise. He has way too many toys, but he doesn't like them, other than big hard bones. He has more fun throwing our cloths all over the place. When I see him chewing on socks (which I take from him) and on his bone he looks like he is in heaven. His eyes roll back in his head. He could do that for hours and then fall asleep.

I understand where you all are coming from.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If you are using food in his training are you making sure he is hungry when you do the lessons? I know this sounds crazy but when I got Smooch I hand fed her EVERY meal from the time I got her from the airport until she was almost 6 months old. She was always hungry for her training lessons because it was the only time she would eat!! Toys she liked were only brought out during training in order to keep her interest for them high. This method has been amazing. With no force she was heeling, doing recalls, flip finishes, downs, sits etc by the time she was about 4 months old and HAPPILY I might add!!. It was fun for her and she loved doing it. Once she got a bit older and I knew she was solid I added a pinch collar and leash for reinforcement and precision and started feeding her out of a bowl. Now on training days she doesn't get fed until we go to the field so she is good and hungry! That is her foundation and if I see that I am losing her attention I will not hesitate to revert back to hand feeding for a while to get her back on track. Food and play is basically life for a dog, use those things to your advantage. Make YOURSELF the centre of your dogs universe. If you make yourself the most fun thing in your dogs life, training him should be a snap.

·
Registered
722 Posts
attitude said:
to me it sounds more like you have a respect problem with your dog and no collar is going to fix that. he "plain out can't stand you" because you are letting him. personally i think both your trainer and vet need to be changed. i simply find it ridiculous that your trainer wants to fry him and your vet wants to drug him !
I agree. Sounds like he takes you for granted. In his eyes you may be letting him get away with a lot more than your husband. Maybe you should try being the only one who feeds him and trains him... at least for a while.. unless he starts respecting you.

I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't take this the wrong way, but you do own a bully breed dog and not all people can handle them. You have to have a pretty strong personality to match theirs, and if you're the kind of person who gets taken advantage of or pushed over a lot, it may not work. :(

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh no offense taken. Ha! I am so far from a push over. I just don't like using force with him. I don't feed, walk, or train him myself because I do that with our female. She is easier to handle although she is older and stronger. Zoro is really attentive when food is involved. he's always hungry. The second I have a treat he is sitting and staring at me. He'll snap at Zelda to get her treat. Then when he does that, I don't give him a treat and he starts nipping at me. I am really stearn with him and Zelda. Zelda listens to me now. Thank goodness. I think she's happier being told what to do now instead of always being hyper and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. But Zoro... he'd rather sit by himself, play by himself and sleep by himself. He loves to meet new people but that's about it. I know he's young and that things are still new to him, which is why I don't want to do anything that will hurt him. I have reverted to putting him on his side and bending over top of him and giving him a hard stearn NO and making sure he's looking at me when I do it. Still... as soon as I let go of him he starts whoffing and snapping. I don't know! I do know that I am a strong person (mentally) and I'm up for the challenge. I did it with Zelda so hopefully I can stick it out with him. I just don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Family of 5 said:
the collar isn't the problem. You are trying to fix the problem with the wrong tool.
I didn't say the collar was a problem. Would you mind sharing how to fix the problem and what tool I might use to help?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Zeldasmom, you need to put a proper foundation on your dog. Go and read my first post to you on this. You need to teach your dog to respect you and go to YOU for food and fun. Who feeds your dog? Is it free fed? Does it have toys and food available 24/7? The less choices your dog has the better. Once your dog is paying attention to you, the sky is the limit in its training. The reason your dog doesn't pay attention to you is probably because it doesn't have to. He has probably learned he doesn't need you for his food and fun. If he wants a toy he goes and grabs it. Food, I don't want to make assumptions on that. He probably has more fun playing with your other dog and all his toys etc so he doesnt need to go to you for anything. See what I am getting at?

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Family of 5 said:
the collar isn't the problem. You are trying to fix the problem with the wrong tool.
I didn't say the collar was a problem. Would you mind sharing how to fix the problem and what tool I might use to help?
Your pup isn't having training issues that can be fixed by a collar. If this were a pulling issue I would say to try the pinch after you got the needed instruction.
This sounds more like a respect issue with your dog. He doesn't respect you, therefore, he won't listen to you. No collar will help this. You could find yourself doing a lot more damage to your pup with a shock collar or pinch. Frustration can make us all do things we wouldn't normally do and this can result in worse behavior or even make your dog timid or afraid.
My advice to you is participate in the training sessions. Your husband may have already set the boundaries your pup listens to but now you need to do the same.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts