Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed with training Sheila, unlike other dogs I have had, I get frustrated sometimes. All my past dogs were definetly not as powerful or intimidatin of a breed. Had labs, yorkies, and several mixers and always wanted a pit, AB or staffy. Well finally an adult (body wise anyways) :twisted: I finally have my own house own rules, wonderful fiance and Sheila completes the circle. I am not looking for advice maybe just some shared opinions or experiences. Well after doing the research and getting the history on bully breeds, what many go to in order to keep there dogs legal and save many dogs from death, I figure as well have to do my part and make sure Sheila represents the breed as a well mannered, obedient and gentle (as gentle as a bully can be) dog. I have gotten many compliments when I take her to petsmart for toy shopping and put her down and stay and people walk by and she just looks at them but usually complies with my command impressing the onlookers, especially when waiting in line. Her training is coming along good, she catches on quickly and is eager to please (most of the time) Here comes the rub, sometimes with the nipping, not listening, or just plain ignoring I get very frustrated and even see her at times as that disobedient child. I just wonder if anyone has had this same frustration, kinda like you want your dog to be the best, train hard, listen at all times, stay in that spot and forget at times she is just a puppy. That is what I realized today, she is just a puppy who needs my guidance and patience and everything else should fall in to place. Sometimes you get caught up in the I gotta ignore this behavior, encourage that behaviour, go over this command, walk her for this long etc...... and just forget to enjoy your puppy. This evening between nipping tantrums, we just sat lazily on the sofa, had my face licked clean, some sleepy drool on my chest, and was glad and proud to have my puppy.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
How old is she now? They do reach a certain age 7 - 9 months that we call the "teen Years". It is at this time that they try to show their independence and try to be their own boss. What has been advised to us is to take them back to the basic obedience steps to reinforce who is boss.

All of our dogs have done this and it is confusing because just when you think you have some headway on the training, boom they do a complete 180. Patience is key here and being very consistant on what you expect from her in behavior. That is what we had to do to get them back on track. Good luck.
:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gazar, so glad you mentioned the teenage years. I thought my bully was calmed down a little and bammm he hit 7 months and its back to square one it almost seems. He even used the washroom in the house yesturday! My fiance and I just looked at each other with disbelief! I had a dog for 16 years and I guess I forget the frustration of a puppy as well and wish he would just snuggle with us to watch movies, when he cant sit still for 6 seconds. Even after quite a long walk.

Check out pics of him under photos *Finally pics of my EB*

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
CC went through that teenage thing too, I would try to tell her sit and she just look at me like I was crazy, and start what I call the zoomies, runing all over, bouncing off the back of the couch! she has calmed some,

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Bella will be 17 months old tomorrow, and she still acts like an idiot, bouncing off the walls and the back of the couch. I don't think she'll ever settle down, which means I'll probably have to wait until after she dies to have kids. :shock:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lol Leanne... I dont even know if I want kids after trying to train a puppy! haha Dogs grow up way faster then kids.. so Im not sure if I'll have 18 years of training in me....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
CC went through that teenage thing too, I would try to tell her sit and she just look at me like I was crazy, and start what I call the zoomies, runing all over, bouncing off the back of the couch! she has calmed some,
Zeus has athe "zoomies" bad!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL ZOOMIES!!!!! That is what I call Sheila's temper tantrums, she bolts all over the house, possesed, slipping and sliding at the corners, top speed and panting like a fiend. Occasionally her track will take her on the sofa as mentioned or on bed. One time my fiance was napping and sheila started zooming, bedroom door was open, needless to say it scared the crap out of my fiance :lol: Makes me feel a bit better after hearing these stories, I thought I had a bad child there for a bit. So next question would be to those with older AB's, when do the zoomies stop!!!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Legend's the same way. He's got another personality which we call"Stitch". (B/c he looks like Stitch from Leo & Stitch) everytime I try and grab him by the collar to calm him down he falls on the floor and rolls over on his back kicking his feet and his ears are straight up eyes big like he's been smoking crack! And then when I let him go he goes nuts, running up and down the stairs, chasing toys, jumping on the couch, running in my bedroom and sliding under covers! And I want another Pit Bull :shock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
He's got another personality which we call"Stitch". (B/c he looks like Stitch from Leo & Stitch)
Ha, we call our guy stich too! It especially suits him when he gets to playing and his congestion gets the better of him (eew). He's about 2 now and still get the "zoomies". I swear he thinks he's still a little puppy... someone oughtta tell him.

~Stef

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
He's about 2 now and still get the "zoomies". I swear he thinks he's still a little puppy... someone oughtta tell him.
Lol. From what I've been told I dont know if this applies to all Bullies but I would assume so, they act like puppies and get the "zoomies" til about 3 or 4 years old!...When Legend was about 4 months old I took him to work with me(I worked at a dog daycare) and I had the group with all the Big dogs. Well he was playing with this St. Bernard(sp) and the poor dog couldnt even keep up with Legend. I ended up having to move him to a different group b/c he tired out my whole group. None of the dogs would play with him they were all laying down sleeping. Lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
sheila said:
LOL ZOOMIES!!!!! That is what I call Sheila's temper tantrums, she bolts all over the house, possesed, slipping and sliding at the corners, top speed and panting like a fiend. Occasionally her track will take her on the sofa as mentioned or on bed. One time my fiance was napping and sheila started zooming, bedroom door was open, needless to say it scared the crap out of my fiance :lol: Makes me feel a bit better after hearing these stories, I thought I had a bad child there for a bit. So next question would be to those with older AB's, when do the zoomies stop!!!
They don't. Bam is almost 4 now and he is still a maniac. Not nearly as often as he used to, but he is still crazy as a loon. For some reason brushing your teeth triggers it. He'll go get a toy and stand in the bathroom doorway shaking the crap out of it till you are done. I wonder if I made him this crazy or if it's natural.

·
Registered
979 Posts
LOL I think we all called our adolescent dogs 'stitch' at some point. Yoshi, my youngest ridgeback at five years, when he was a puppy had such frenetic episodes of nutso (mind you he was 22 lbs at 8wks old) that there were times I'd just straight arm him (hold him at arms length) and he'd go nuts like he was going to chew up my arm - like stitch on crack. Then he'd calm down.

PHEW!
Paula

1 - 13 of 13 Posts