Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to know, does anyone have any good training tips to give me on how i can work on nelson to make him come to me EVERYTIME i say "come". he's 7mths and he does come to me most of the time, but some times when he's somewhere he's not used to (like the park) and hes sniffing around and i call him and he doesn't come, its kinda really embarrassing. and i have to call him and call him and end up having to go over and get him. i got a sarcastic comment once "he's very obedient isn't he?" needless to say that can be a little embarrassing and annyoing like i'm a little girl and i dont have control of my dog. :x

and do you guys have an emergency word like "stop" or something that say if your dog goes to run somewhere and u need him to stop right there in his tracks incase say a car's coming or something? and how do u teach that? thanks

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
4NGI3 said:
i just wanted to know, does anyone have any good training tips to give me on how i can work on nelson to make him come to me EVERYTIME i say "come". he's 7mths and he does come to me most of the time, but some times when he's somewhere he's not used to (like the park) and hes sniffing around and i call him and he doesn't come, its kinda really embarrassing. and i have to call him and call him and end up having to go over and get him. i got a sarcastic comment once "he's very obedient isn't he?" needless to say that can be a little embarrassing and annyoing like i'm a little girl and i dont have control of my dog. :x

and do you guys have an emergency word like "stop" or something that say if your dog goes to run somewhere and u need him to stop right there in his tracks incase say a car's coming or something? and how do u teach that? thanks

recall...you will need a training leash, never attempt a recall if you have no way of getting them back.

stay is a command i use, and atm im teaching her to sit wherever she is and stay till i come to her.

all the above is done while she is on her t leash, so i can correct her.

look at this link....ill be adding how i got roxy to stay where she is on the spot and not to move.
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=1835

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Why do you have your dog off lead at a public park in the first place? Secondly, did you take the time to teach your dog what the word "come" means first? The only way to get a realiable recall is by getting them to come to you reliabily while ON LEAD long before you take your dog off lead. Think about it this way, if your dog is loose and you call it, then it doesn't come to you what have you taught the dog? You have taught the dog that it can ignore your commands! You need to go back to basics and put the dog on a lead and teach it motivationally (I use food) to come to you. Keep increasing the length of the lead until you are eventually up to a 30 foot lead. Dogs don't come out of the womb already knowing what sit, down, heel, come etc means, they need to be taught that! You must be fair in your training and that means teaching the dog what you want from it. One last thing, NEVER EVER give a command you are unable to enforce!!! Every time oyu do this you teach the dog it does not have to listen to you! BIG mistake!!

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Lisa said:
One last thing, NEVER EVER give a command you are unable to enforce!!! Every time you do this you teach the dog it does not have to listen to you! BIG mistake!!
well said!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Like Roxy and Lisa said, you need to teach them on the leash, otherwise they learn that they can disobey you whenever they feel like it. Food works great with Tala. She's a real food hound, and learned "come" very quickly by giving her a treat the instant she's at my feet. I work with her everyday. Even with her broken leg, I make her hobble a couple of feet over to me when she's out for a bathroom break just so she doesn't forget her commands. You need to work with them everyday and for a long time before they really get the command. You really can't let them off leash until they know the command 100%.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah he is our first dog and he usually hangs around us when we go to the park. but makes sense that everytime we tell him to come and he doesn't it tells him that its ok to disobey us. makes so much sense when soemone points it out but other than that i would never have thought of it that way. and the link to roxy's training is very handy thanks! thats why i love this forum i've learnt so freakin much! :D

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I would get a leash and a reward and start using the "come" or "here" command on leash when he comes reward him, then as he gets faster hes happier and this is going to go on for like months before its a EVERYTIME thing! and this is even before off leash! then you start over again off leash.Never let a command be told without enforcing it like Lisa said! its very very important!!! You'll soemtimes here the saying from trainers
"Consistent Bad Training is better then Inconsistent Good training" consistency and patience. Thast all you need...and well a leash too for now lol
Your dog isnt at a level right now to try and enforce a command he doesnt know PLUS under distractions (parks) thats quite unfair.
Take your time.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Okay well, in agility training, the come command is the MOST important command when your in the ring. But in any circumstances, it could save your dogs life.

One tip I have for you is stop using the come command, you've already used it too many times where he hasn't listened and now when he hears that word he'll just ignore you cause it's not enforced. I use the word "treat" everytime, it's dependable and works EVERY time.

You can use a catchy phrase that your dog will come to you like "hugs" or "cookie", whatever is dependable for your dog. Take a 15-20 foot lead and work on the command you chose in a fenced in area, everytime he listens praise and treat. Also, use small slack at first, when he's about 5 ft away from you say the command, and do that a few times. Don't repeat the command, that ruins it, pull him in with the leash or lure him back with a treat and start over.

When you think he has that down, work 10 ft on and keep doing that until you reach your maximum amount of lead like 15 or 20 feet, however long the lead is. And remember, lots of treats and praise. Eventually, take the lead off in the fenced area and say the command, when he comes give him a treat and tell him he's a good boy. Hope I helped you some! [/b]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, you may want to try a different word for "Come" and issue that command only once, if he doesn't listen after the first command, go get him. But don't chastise too harshly, because you don't want him to start running from you. You want/need to be the coolest thing in his life, if you nag, why would he want to come to you?

I'm not particularly fond of using treats too often, because many times you find yourself treatless, thus rendering a command useless, because without a treat he won't receive a reward; moreover, as time goes by, the treat simply may not entice your poochie as much as it once did--or as much as running free does. Is there something he really likes--tug of war, fetch, chasing you, running along side of you, etc--so you can slowly incorporate that as a reward?

Anyway, here's how we worked on our girl. I hope it's not too confusing:

On leash, I would start her in a heal position, but to make it more exciting we would walk extremely briskly, or run, side-by-side. After a brief trot, I would abruptly reverse direction and run backwards, while gently pulling/guiding Vega into an "about face" after me (we would then be face-to-face), while simultaneously, enthusiastically saying "Come!" followed by a whole lot of praise and baby talk. You might even want to put a treat in your mouth (I know, yuck) and crouch a bit to allow him to chase your treat-filled mouth, or have him chase his favorite chew toy. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. After a training session I'd reward her with a little tug-of-war, and whirly-bird (spinning her around in the air while she grips her rope).

As others have written, you don't need to be the best trainer, you need to be a consistent and persistent trainer. And leave your guy on leash until he listens to you.

Finally, we actually use the words "Street" and "Car" when we want her to sit during a walk. There are no sidewalks where we live, so we walk in the street, therefore, when a car approaches we will stop walking and say "Car" and she immediately squats. At night when headlights approach she automatically sits down. But not in the middle of the street :wink:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Many good advice.

1) make sure he knows the command to "come" before you enforce it (correct non compliance)
2) make sure you train for the scenarios (like in a park) with a long line or (e collar) if you know how to use it.
Don't train to fail. Train to succeed.
3) make sure you use food or tug, to reward the dog when he does come right away! hugs and pets too.

Actually, like some suggested, I use two commands for come. "au pied" is come, GOD is calling. The dog is contioned to JUMP back to the owner. Zero option! We use this for training. I use 'come' at home. more relaxed.

It is just being consistant.
Like Lisa and Tia said, EVERYTIME YOU FAIL TO MAKE HER COME TO YOU, YOU ARE TEACHING IT TO DISOBEY YOU. So, train for success. Long line. food. distractions. set it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts