Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been having alot of trouble training our puppy to stay in the crate. We adopted her about two months ago when she was 5months old from the SPCA, and when the foster mom said she had trouble in the crate, we didn't expect this much.

She weighs about 30 pounds and we have a wire crate that is meants for a dog twice her size, so space is not a problem. When she gets in the crate she becomes a whole new dog, she will whine non-stop. She will also pull up her mat we placed in there and chew it up and she will also try to chew on the bars. We can't really keep her in there too long because she will start drooling or something of the sorts becuase when we come back ther are puddles of water and she is out of breath completely.

We fill her kong with cream cheese, PB, and treats and put it in there, she ignores it. Same with the bully sticks. She wont touch anything in the crate, but when she is out she will devour anything. She also wont drink the water we put in there. I saw her once in the crate eating her kong, but the door was open. We run her for a while before she goes in there and let her go pottty too. We feed her only in the crate, with the door open. She sleeps in a room with a fence up, the crate is in that room. She also whines when she is in that area when we put her to sleep.

The only thing I can think of is that she was abused before we got her and she has a fear of the crate. The crate is also in an area where she can see us. We tried putting a blanket over te crate to no avail. THe longest she has been in there is about one and a half hours and she was noisy the WHOLE time.

I hope you guys can help us with this problem, becuase we want to figure out what is trouble is before it gets even worse.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
She just doesn't like the crate, and not being with you, it sounds like. Not necessarily abused.
Have you tried a Vari-Kennel (airline style) crate?
What do you do when she's noisy? As long as she is not destroying the crate she should be OK in there. Some dogs are just noisy in there. If you are interacting with her when she's noisy you may be reinforcing the noise.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would our best bet be to just leave her in there for the night and just make her deal with it?

Also, how is an airline crate different? I just know it has no bars and might not feel like she is caged in.

·
Registered
979 Posts
slid3r said:
We've been having alot of trouble training our puppy to stay in the crate. We adopted her about two months ago when she was 5months old from the SPCA, and when the foster mom said she had trouble in the crate, we didn't expect this much.

She weighs about 30 pounds and we have a wire crate that is meants for a dog twice her size, so space is not a problem. When she gets in the crate she becomes a whole new dog, she will whine non-stop. She will also pull up her mat we placed in there and chew it up and she will also try to chew on the bars. We can't really keep her in there too long because she will start drooling or something of the sorts becuase when we come back ther are puddles of water and she is out of breath completely.

We fill her kong with cream cheese, PB, and treats and put it in there, she ignores it. Same with the bully sticks. She wont touch anything in the crate, but when she is out she will devour anything. She also wont drink the water we put in there. I saw her once in the crate eating her kong, but the door was open. We run her for a while before she goes in there and let her go pottty too. We feed her only in the crate, with the door open. She sleeps in a room with a fence up, the crate is in that room. She also whines when she is in that area when we put her to sleep.

The only thing I can think of is that she was abused before we got her and she has a fear of the crate. The crate is also in an area where she can see us. We tried putting a blanket over te crate to no avail. THe longest she has been in there is about one and a half hours and she was noisy the WHOLE time.

I hope you guys can help us with this problem, becuase we want to figure out what is trouble is before it gets even worse.

The drooling and whining, the lack of interest in food and destructive behavior says that the crate is quite traumatic to her. Have you tried covering the crate? How about where the crate is? When I raised puppies I had two crates; one downstairs in the living area and one in the bedroom.

Paula

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the crate beside my bed last night and she hardly made a sound. she didn't even destroy the blanket I had in there for her. I think I'll have her sleep in my room and with other family members until she is more confterable. Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
slid3r said:
I put the crate beside my bed last night and she hardly made a sound. she didn't even destroy the blanket I had in there for her. I think I'll have her sleep in my room and with other family members until she is more confterable. Thanks for your help everyone.

Covering the crate with a blanket also really helps to make the pup feel more secure. It helps create their den for them, and this is what you want - for them to feel like the crate is their "safe place" or den. They will always love to visit the crate after you achieve this, with no complaining or issues.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When I was crate training Bogart, I had the crate in my bedroom. He would whine for about the first 10 minutes or so, but I just completely ignored it and eventually he stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts