Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted Sham he is 2.5 year old Old English Bulldogge. He has been an awesome dog so far. He was already trainned and potty trained. So far we are up to 1.5 mile during our walks in the morning, when I got him last week he would get tired at the mile mark. How much exercise will he need at this age?

Also there is a resident cat who is 5 years old, cat has been around dogs before. We are having a difficult time getting them used to each other, Sham has a big bark that he uses when he sees the cat. I am not sure if it's predatory as when i hold the cat in my arms he just smells him and no bark.

I have another concern, sometimes when we play fetch and i'm getting ball he acts as if he is ready to nip at me. Last night he also bark at me when I was having dinner in the cat's area of the apartment. I am not sure if that was to get my attention...I never had my own dog bark at me before.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Walks: keep a watch on him. He will tell you when he is tired. Do Not push him
past that time. These dogs can develop hip dysplasia and joint issues from too much
exercise. Also, they can have breathing problems and develop issues from too cold
weather or too hot weather. You will have to be the monitor, just watch, he will
let you know when he is tired. And remember what ever you walk out has to be walked back.
So plan for both in the distance.

Cat - dogs are predatory and since he has issues with the cat do not leave him alone with it.
It takes time for companion animals to adjust to each other and sometimes they never do.

Nipping, etc. This is part of training. You must teach him not to nip and not to bark.
He cannot think it is allowed. He is jealous of the cat, reason two for the barking at it. He does
not want to share you. This can be a sign of possessiveness and can turn
into aggression. I would definitely have a trainer take a look at him and check him out on this.
We have a dog who is possessive over her food, toys, us, etc. We cannot leave any of this stuff
down when the other dogs are around. It is one thing to be aggressive with another dog, cat, etc.
but you cannot have him be aggressive to people. All that being said, he is a new dog and may just
want to play. So this is why you need to get him checked out to determine which is the cause.

Please keep us up on how he is doing and what the trainer says. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, tonight the cat scratched him after he jumped thru the gate. He did not hurt the cat and just want to sniff him but he comes across too strong.

Later I was playing fetch when I stopped he went on to smell everything as we were in the cat area. He found a plastic hanger which I took from him and he started to bark at me. I told him no and kept hanger.

He is scare of some males w certain physical characteristics but starts by barking at them but when approach by them he runs to his crate. he is really weary of my brother when he comes over. I'm thinking something happened to him in his previous home. He was a breeder return, suppossedly past owners were too busy for him. He was around children at previous home and interacts well w my young daughter.

We are going to the doggy daycare tomorrow and see if he would interact well w other dogs they also have a trainer.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Being that he was a return, that does raise some questions. The first being, why he was
returned. He could have shown aggression then and they were not comfortable with it.
And now that you say he has some fears and that he has issues with your brother, you
really do need to have him evaluated. A leary dog will bite if pushed or scared. So
please take the time to have him checked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We met a trainer on Friday he is fearful of most men I found out but it took I'm about 30 mins to warm up. At no point was he aggressive during the session it was more about lack of trust and keeping boundaries. I will not take a treat from a stranger and would just turn away.

I know his mother was shy as well and would not trust ppl easily it took me about a year for her to warm up to me, however she was never aggressive in any way. So it's a mix of that and whatever happened in his previous home. It's unclear why they returned him except that the family was going thru a separation.

It seems that the main thing is to have a strong pack leader at this point. Overall he has been easy to train but is testy at times.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
oh im so glad you were able to get a trainer involved sometimes it helps alot. oh i love the pics. he looks wonderful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts