Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a small backyard, and tend to use the huge muncipal park down the street to excercise Janie. But, whenever we have her in the backyard she love to jump and run in the raised part of the yard that has pretty much the only landscaping on our property! What do you guys do to keep your dogs out of the parts of your yard you want to keep somewhat normal?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I don't know of any way to do it :(

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I would do lots more walks so she doesnt feel the need to run around a large part of your backyard! Other then that I have no other ideas

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i was thinking, she needs more stimulation maybe two long walks a day?

but what about when we have company over? if i crate her when she acts up, is she going to have a negative association with the crate?

·
Registered
932 Posts
the only thing i think might work is to fence off the landscaping.
i think we're gonig to do that
Patch has destroyed our yard.... there are trenches everywhere from where he digs... and he likes chewing.
Landscaping? What landscaping???? it is DIRT now....

FUN!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
JaniesDaddy said:
thats what i was thinking, she needs more stimulation maybe two long walks a day?

but what about when we have company over? if i crate her when she acts up, is she going to have a negative association with the crate?
Definitly 2 long walks a day will help tremendosly!!! that is what Kate gets and she is pretty pooped after them

As for company.... don't let her act up first, if you know she is going to act up while company is over, let them greet her and say hi, then just put her in her crate. Don't give her time to get to that wild point when you know she is going to.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Fencing, I have fenced of part of the garden for my girls....with a toddler about, the last I want to happen is see him knocked of his feet!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but i thought that putting her in the crate when she is acting up is like punishing her? then she will no longer want to go into the crate, even when she has too.?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I put Harley in quick time outs in her crate when she's naughty. Think of kids. If they're bad, they might get sent to their room. Do they hate their room b/c of this? No.
As for the yard, someone recommended, and it works great, turn on the sprinkler in that part of the yard. They'll stay out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but i thought that putting her in the crate when she is acting up is like punishing her? then she will no longer want to go into the crate, even when she has too.?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
JaniesDaddy said:
Do you have kids? Do you get the analogy? It isn't for an extended period, and remember, dog's live in the now. Harley DOES NOT resent her crate b/c that's where she goes if she's naughty. Do what you want, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, thank you i get the analogy. just looking for some friendly advice.

I had read information to the contrary.

phew.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
JaniesDaddy said:
yes, thank you i get the analogy. just looking for some friendly advice.

I had read information to the contrary.

phew.
I know exactly how that can be. Personally, I take the advice that makes sense for me and my family. You didn't answer... do you have kids? If you do, you'll understand what I mean....you could always put the dog in the bathroom if you thought that would be better. But really, in my ADMITTEDLY VERY LIMITED experience, she/he won't resent the crate.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
nanniesrock said:
I put Harley in quick time outs in her crate when she's naughty. Think of kids. If they're bad, they might get sent to their room. Do they hate their room b/c of this? No.
As for the yard, someone recommended, and it works great, turn on the sprinkler in that part of the yard. They'll stay out.
see this wouldn't work for Kate... she LOVEESSSS the water and loves eating and chasing anything that sprays water. but then again if you put that in the part of the yard that you want her to be in... she will stay there until the water is turned off!!

As for the crate when shes acting up..... like I said... get in there before she acts up, before she has time to be bad, then it will be like normal crate time.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
JaniesDaddy said:
no kids...still trying to handle the puppy!
I feel your pain! :shock: I have one kid, a 5 year old, plus 2 dogs, one being a puppy, and sometimes he's worse than any child I've ever seen! :shock: I wish I had some advice, but we have the same problem...my husband has a garden in our back yard and they have a blast sneeking in it & digging up stuff...it's hilarious...they'll be gone a minute or two, so we go searching for them, and they take off running towards us like they weren't doing anything yet they have the evidence all over their noses!!! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts