Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zero isn't the most food driven dog in the world, unlike little Oscar. We've done our obedience class, and did alright with that. I did a private lesson for some guidance on a couple of things, and I need to find a high value treat like item for him to help with the training.

I can't give him anything that contains red meat, and I stay away from things that contain gluten. I've tried apple bacon treats, salmon jerky (which smells delicious and attracts dogs within a mile it seems), but nothing seems to help me with drawing his attention.
Kibble doesn't work either.

I'm just looking for some suggestions on some treats, or something that I can use with him that people have had success with, or for a few tips on how to increase his food drive a little. I don't want to go back to dog diving into the food bowl and throwing food all over the place like when he was 10 weeks old, lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,003 Posts
Most people will use a "high value" food, such as bits of hot dog, chicken or beef.
In your case since you want to stay away from red meat, perhaps turkey dogs or
all pork hot dogs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only concern with using hotdogs is that zero might want to start eating Oscar, the weiner dog. ;)

I'll give those a try. Probably the turkey ones to start, cause they sound tasty for me even.
I should cook them first, correct?

·
Super Moderator
16,003 Posts
My only concern with using hotdogs is that zero might want to start eating Oscar, the weiner dog.
:laughing6::laughing6::laughing6:

No, they are not really raw anyways, just not warmed.
I think they are smellier straight from the bag.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Take chicken hot dogs or turkey hot dogs, cut up to half inch pieces, put on paper plate and cover with paper towel, put in microwave and place a coffee cup filled with water in microwave too. Microwave for 1 minute or until hot dog pieces dry out then use as treats

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Straight from the bag and juicy! Your dog will knit you a sweater!

I wish. He's definitely not that food motivated.

The chicken hot dogs have been working for the most part. He seems to like them, and he does focus a little bit more when those are the reward. I've just sliced them up into little pieces, and keep them in a ziploc bag in my pocket when we go out.

Oscar's being a cannibal and eating them too. lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He loves his ball on a rope. It's a kong tennis ball that squeaks and is on a rope. Or a stick. Stick trumps ball any day for some reason.

I need to be able to hold his focus and attention when there is another dog around, so that he doesn't stare with intent at it.
I liked the idea of a food reward because it's a little easier to carry around in my pocket, and I have less chance of getting rope burn playing tug with a treat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am sure this varies between dogs and their preferences.

I use baby carrots as a dog treat for training.
I am not sure how this will do for a dog that is used to getting smelly treats as it will likely be like "Do I LOOK like a vegetarian!"

Pros in regards to my dogs...

-Cheap to buy
-Not smelly on your fingers
-My dogs chew it before swallowing (crunchy)
-Healthy
-Great for the teeth
-Available when shopping for groceries, or found in most fridges
-Can even grow your own easily if you prefer (not baby carrots... I have yet to be able to grow those :\ )
-Quick and easy
-My dogs LOVE them

I do cut the baby type carrots in half before going out as they can be a bit hard to break in half with your fingers.

·
Super Moderator
16,003 Posts
Have not seen that here. Is it in the pet stores or a farm and feed type or the grocery store?

·
Registered
240 Posts
We get the dried lungs here. Dogs like them. Its sorta dissolves in their mouths
Some dogs are just not interested in food and need other forms of motivation. Mine barely shows interest in food but loves his tug toy or ball on rope.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
they have lung in petco here i think. i use chicken as thats about all sarah can have. the boys i use natures variety treats. but they really dont get any

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hotdogs work well, our Vet worries about the high sodium content in a lot of the hot dog type meats. You can actually get special dog training hotdogs here, they have no Sodium and the dogs seem to like them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been reading the replies. Callie is not food motivated at all. In fact in turns his nose up at many goodies the average pup would do cartwheels for. His passion is empty seltzer bottles. Really you hold one up and he will do anything you ask.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts