Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trained in the barn at my place last night for a change. Was great not having to drive an hour each way to train.. :)

First we have Smooch, my female AB. Her targetting and grips could definitely be better here BUT she showed GREAT improvement with her barking, which has never been her strongest point. Always seemed to have a hard time mustering up a bark and even more of a hard time putting a few together. She shocked me last night. I hope this is a sign of things to come. She is giving me hope with this exercise! One thing at a time I guess...patience, patience,patience :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfbu6hbXIQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHur1hy8fdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXzMEtMzWs0

Second is my male, AB, Rosco...he has the opposite problem as Smooch. He won't shut up!! After many unsuccesful attempts at quieting him in the down during protection we decided to try something else...just let him lie there barking his brains out...lol. Thats why he is panting and looks so tired! His quiet down is rewarded by being able to guard the helper and then a bite. It seemed like we were waiting for him to shut up forever! Thick as a brick I say! :banghead: :banghead: and such a dink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5pgomSrrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydmqJzxw3KQ

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Lisa Smootch looks great! so cute to see her so happy!!! Her seems to be barking alot more now! I see happy daddy in the background as well in the second video!!! :D Rosco seems to be coming along as well.. Only time shows us what we have done, i say... patience you r right :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Unfortunately, my PC doesn't "do" videos (or flash, or high res photos, etc.! ) but I bet your two look great! Congrats on your progress!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Congrats on your progress.
Like I said, as long as she has courage, I would wait for her to mature and teach the game of bark and hold with your first. Then transfer it to the decoy. It just keeps it clearer in the head for the dog, less conflict of learning and doing on the decoy. Learn in prey with you and then on decoy with a touch of defence.

I think she will come around. Time. If she does not.........oh well. Taht is bulldogs, isn't it?

I actually LOVE the bark and hold. Nothing in the dog world makes a dog more intense on a decoy than this exercise. I think it also builds major confidence in a dog. It also teaches a dog HOW TO punk out the decoy when certain rules are followed. I teach the bark and hold VERY early, in prey first and then transfering on to the decoy later as they age. Rules. You follow them, and you will win.........and win very often. I think it is the ONLY way to teach a dog like Rosco. I would just let him know you control his life in a calm way. AIR.

If you think about it, a dog in FRONT of his adversary, staring him down, with a stick in his hand ready to hit the dog. That is a lot for a young dog. No......I think I would like to teach this in prey, with me. Teach him how to win first. Teach the rules.

Once they know the rules, I do not let them take cheap shots like paws on the decoy or biting the crotch. NOT even creaping. What moves the decoy is the dog following the rules..........hard hard barks and intense guarding or snapping of jaws......INTIMIDATION. I think this translates to other areas of protection work.

Nice videos. Man, rosco is huge. But I like stubborn dogs. Nothing wrong with that. Can't get mad at the boy for wantiing to engage and destroy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Explain to me what's going on. Is the dog supposed to bark and push him back and only bite once the arm comes up? And is getting the sleeve kind of like the "reward"?

Those videos are interesting to watch.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the comments.

Peter, I have taught my female to bark for things that I have, ball, food, etc..but not a hold and bark so to speak. I leave that to the helper. My helper taught this exercise to this dog since a young puppy and it started out all in prey...she's just never barked real strong up until this point but he always rewarded it. Lots of movement on his part, her always winning..you get the idea. The pressure is starting to up on her now. She can either take it or she can't. I love the hold and bark exercise too. A dog with a strong h+B is so intimidating..I love it. As far as her "Bumping"..I was instructed to let her do this as long as she doesn't actually take a cheap shot. In other words I was told not to correct for the paws on the helper, only if she actually tries to engage..just following directions :). My helper wants me to let her be pushy FOR NOW just to build some more confidence. We both feel it will be easy to clean her up later. She's not a hard ass like my other dog. ;)

As far as shutting up Rosco, I do use your "calm way" although from the down position that is very hard. From the sit its a different story. From the down I have been finding it impossible to find any way to shut him up as far as physcial corrections go. Nothing works...and that is why we have switched to this method as I would like him to be quiet during th escape bite. The more he barks the more it seems like he is going to break and I don't want him leaving early in a trial! . That barking just makes everything so much worse. The more he is barking, the more he seems to want to ignore me. Whenn he is quiet he is so much more clear and compliant.

Tia, that is not Larry in the background..those are his 2 friends.

Cinder in this exercise the dog is supposed to "Guard" the decoy. Bark at him and hold him there. If the decoy moves, the dog is supposed to engage, other wise it is expected to conitinue guarding without touching the decoy.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Lisa said:
Cinder in this exercise the dog is supposed to "Guard" the decoy. Bark at him and hold him there. If the decoy moves, the dog is supposed to engage, other wise it is expected to conitinue guarding without touching the decoy.
Ohhhh, I bet that is what Rosco did when your house got broken into!! :lol: No wonder they left :wink:

I am so jealous!! One day I will have the time to do this stuff. Where would/did y'all begin? Books, people, etc. this looooong before i would have the time to even think about finding a club, hmm, or do you start hanging around?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts