Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Training

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Chynasmom 
#1 ·
I have a 6 1/2 year old pit bull. We've had him since he was 6 weeks old. He has tremendous training on him (I am a proud mom). The ONLY thing we can not break him of is attacking the windshield wipers!! If you turn on the wipers and he is in the car, he will be on your dash attacking the windshield! If he is outside the vehicle and you turn the wipers on, he will climb up your hood and tear the wipers off! Any suggestions on how to stop him?

#3 ·
I would suggest seatbelting him in the back seat, or if you have a wagon/SUV-type car, putting him in the back behind a dog-grate or in a crate in the back.

But, for general safety's sake, my dogs are seatbelted every time we're in the car. If your dog is loose in the car and (G-d forbid) you are in an accident, your dog becomes a fuzzy projectile and could be seriously injured or killed.

#4 ·
Chynasmom said:
But, for general safety's sake, my dogs are seatbelted every time we're in the car. If your dog is loose in the car and (G-d forbid) you are in an accident, your dog becomes a fuzzy projectile and could be seriously injured or killed.
I know this all too well... when Kate and I were in my accident, I was the one that broke her fall. But at least we were okay.

But can your dogs lie down with this seat belt on?

#5 ·
Kate said:
But can your dogs lie down with this seat belt on?
Yes - the harnesses I have are called (I think) "Easy Rider" (visions of a young Jack Nicholas!). They have a loop of "seatbelt fabric" attached to them that you put the car's seatbelt through, then buckle. There's plenty of slack for the dog to sit or lie down (and, unfortunately, turn themselves around so they look really pathetic and tangled - fortunately they seem to figure that out pretty quickly).

I have also seen strap attachments that have a clip on one end that goes to a standard harness and a seatbelt tongue on the other that you buckle in. I've never tried this kind.

DO NOT belt your dog in by just their standard collar. I know this seems obvious, but you would not believe how short-sighted people can be!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.