Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when is a dog old enough to learn to heel? what if your pup is afraid of cars( mine is and sits everytime one goes by)? oh and to restart and old argument buckle, head harness, harness, slip, martingale, or prong? which is best?

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
DogSoldier said:
when is a dog old enough to learn to heel? what if your pup is afraid of cars( mine is and sits everytime one goes by)? oh and to restart and old argument buckle, head harness, harness, slip, martingale, or prong? which is best?

I think they were teaching heel in our intermediate class...so he was probably around 5 months by then. It's never to early (IMO) to start instilling the behavior.

As for the next question, I just have a collar. Nothing special.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I suck at teaching heel.

But my pup was a little freaked by cars for a little while but I would make her stand there as they went by and eventually she could care less.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prong

how old is old enuff?

·
Registered
136 Posts
My trainer told me the dog picks the collar. You start with a normal collar and work from there. He tried a martingale on Storm and she blew it straight off, it didn't work at all so he then went for the prong.

Some dogs just need that firmer control, it'll depend on your dog and it's temperment / behaviour.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I experiance is that the timming of the correction is just as if not more important than the force of the correction. I learned this over time the hard way though

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
You can start teaching your pup to heel at around 12 weeks (3 months). Some dogs get it earlier - some later, some never at all :lol: Annie will be 12 weeks this Thursday and she's already got a good idea of heeling.

As for collars etc. I would suggest a regular collar or a regular harness. Your pup is way to young to use the others right now.

You need to be sure you don't comfort him when he freaks about cars. Don't stop walking either. If you planned to cross the street, and he balks, turn around or turn the corner. Don't let him get the chance to sit or to try to hide behind your legs. If you do, he wins and that's not a good start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts