Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i am new to the boards here. My girlfriend and I just adopted a 1 year old american bulldog. He is the best dog. Only problem we are having is that he is getting into the trash can in the kitchen. It is analuminum can that has a foot lever to open the top of it. its fairly tall too. He knocks it over somehow and pulls the back out and gets into all the trash and spreads it everywhere. This only happens when we are at work which is only 9 hours each day (6am-3pm) and yes he is house trained too. But for an example we went to my folks house for dinner and where only gone for5 hours and he got into the trash agian. this didnt happen at first. it started about 2 weeks later. he is currently being trained to stay off the couches using scat mats (the ones with the spikes). But we do leave him loose in the house cus i hate to keep any dog in a crate that long during the day or the times we are out. Like i said this just srted about a week or so ago. Also we try not to throw away food in the frash can we put it down the garbage disposal s he wont be temped/smell it. We are totally stumped on what to do. do we get a crate and crate him when we are nt home or what???? We are in desperate help. We love Diesel to death and want to fix this issue with him! ANy help is greatly appreciated!!!!

PS: he does nto chew up anything in the house only on his toys!!!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If you're very much against crating, can you just put your trash can under the sink or in a utility room if it's close to the kitchen? Have you ever caught him in the act of digging through the trash? There's no way you can keep him away from the trash can if you're not there to supervise him and correct him for bad behavior.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
CRATE, You will find that many of us here use one. It keeps them safe and our houses still standing when we come home from being out.It is not cruel to use one. It eliminates such problems from happening. Don't use the crate as place of punishment.You want your dog to feel comfortable going and being in there.If he is not use to having been in one it will take time but he will come around.Buster uses one and is what I call crate trained.When I go out he goes in.When I am home and cant keep an eye on him he goes in. When I can keep and eye on him I leave the door open to it and he will go in on his own, it's his get away spot.
BTW..........WELCOME :wave:

·
Registered
203 Posts
He is better of in his crate. Bulldogs will eat anything. I know a guy who's dog died from eating a Brillo pad. You can try spraying the trash with a cleaner so it doesn't smell so interesting to the dog, but if it was mine I would leave him in the crate.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You may also want to make sure that he gets plenty of exercise when you are with him. It may just be that he is bored and he is frustrated. A lot of dogs will dig in the trash for something to do. Bullies have a lot of energy and if it isn't burned off, they may become destructive (true of many dogs). A tired dog is a good dog!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We walk him once in the am before work then after my girlfreind gets hoem she walks him athen after dinner we all go for a walk and on weekends we take him to the dog park to run twice a day both sat and sun. is that enough exercise?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Yours dogs exercise sound fine, Just put your garbage away. Crating is the best way to always have peace of mind, but at least put the garbage away for your safety and theirs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we always keep the garbage in the trash can the issue is he gets into the can. i heard about those locking trash cans. do they really work????

·
Registered
181 Posts
If he's getting into the trash can - move the can to somewhere he can't get to it. If you can't move the trash can out of the kitchen, keep the dog out of the kitchen.

If he's learned to get into the "lever-lid" trash cans, I'm sure he can figure out the "locking" trash cans - your best bet is to keep him away from it.

When you leave him, what does he have available that he's allowed to do? It sounds like he's bored, and would probably enjoy a stuffed Kong or Buster Cube - both things that he'd have to work with to get food/treats.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Chynasmom said:
If he's getting into the trash can - move the can to somewhere he can't get to it. If you can't move the trash can out of the kitchen, keep the dog out of the kitchen.

If he's learned to get into the "lever-lid" trash cans, I'm sure he can figure out the "locking" trash cans - your best bet is to keep him away from it.

When you leave him, what does he have available that he's allowed to do? It sounds like he's bored, and would probably enjoy a stuffed Kong or Buster Cube - both things that he'd have to work with to get food/treats.
I agree. There is no way I can keep Boss out of the garbage when I'm gone, so it's always put under the sink so he can't get at it. Just make sure you give your dog something to do when you leave so that he doesn't become destructive out of boredom.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I know it must be frustrating to come home to trash all over the floor. If you can't put the can where he can't reach it (maybe in a laundry room, on the counter) I would try to lock him out of the kitchen. I also crate, but can understand why you would not want to leave him in a crate for 9 hours. My house would be a disaster if I did not crate my AB when I was not home. There is no way to teach him not to get in the trash, if you don't catch him doing it. Just remember, the trash can be very dangerous to a dog!! Most AB's will eat anything!!!

I was working in the garden yesterday and had my dogs outside with me. I went on the other side of the fence to plant some more flowers, and they had torn apart a bag of black potting soil and dug up all of the flowers I had planted!! I was so mad!!!! They were out of my sight for about 15 min. So I know how aggravating cleaning up their messes can be. But couldn't imagine my life without them, messes and all!!!

Good luck, I hope you find a solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well we went out and bought a crate and a nice bed for him to lay on int eh crate. set it all up and the second i was done we was in there checking it out. he loves it. has no issues at all with it. I am so happy now. no more trash can problems!!! thanks all!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.