Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we're fostering a 5 week old puppy. we're not sure on the breed, she was captured by animal control on Thursday. no momma no siblings. she is sometimes really timid but she's slowly coming out of her shell and plays with our other dogs and is eating regularly. the shelter staff said that she wasnt eating well and would cower in the back corner of her kennel.

we keep her in a crate at night and when we're not home. we debated doing this, but we want her to learn that her crate is her safe place. we did worry that it may make her more timid. but it hasnt. usually she will whine and cry for a few minutes when we put her in the crate and she will quiet down and go to sleep.
last night was chaotic though. it took everyone a while to finally settle and go to bed. but Kayla wouldnt quiet down. after nearly an hour of her whining, howling, crying and digging the bottom of the crate, i finally gave her a pig ear. my gf said that i shouldnt have done that. now she will expect a treat when she goes in to her crate. but i dont think our neighbors really appreciated Kayla's noise for so long. and the pig ear pacified her, within 15 minutes she fell asleep.
she's really young, and i dont know if she will even retain much at only 5 weeks. will she?
my other thought is perhaps to give her not a pig ear but something else to pacify her or comfort her when she's in her crate. but is that ok?
she has a stuffed fleece toy in her crate. but thats it.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have what I call crate toys that are only for the crate and are to stay in the crate.Oneis a nyla ball that has little nubs all over it for teething and a kong ball.I switch them up now and again so he doesn't get board with the same ol ones I will switch up with the nyla teething key ring or a nyla bone( I found the nyla products to be great with the teething) Throw in a toy and see what happens.When Buster was little I threw in a small clock( hid it under the blankets) as the sound is supposed to be soothing and I threw in a shirt that I wore all day so he had my sent in there with him and it seemed to do the job.I never had a problem with him and the crate.Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I throw a couple treats in Zipps crate every time he goes in so there is some positive reinforcement along with entering the crate. I also crate him for short intervals when i am at home and when i enter the room and he is being quiet i slide him a treat. I would not go with pig ears for crate treats because before long she will need supervision because they can break off sharp pieces. I have been filling a kong up with peanut butter and throwing it in the freezer before he has to go to bed for the night. A nylabone is also a fairly safe alternative. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I put tons of toys in the kennel every day before I leave for work and Mags goes in. But only toys she can't tear apart and choke on pieces of - IE no stuffed or soft toys and no rawhides. I sometimes freeze peanut butter in a kong overnight - that takes her a good hour or so to clean out - or Ill put a treat or two in the kong and then freeze pb over it - she loves that. She keeps herself occupied - I'm gone from 8:30-6:30 every day and shes fine - granted she is an adult dog - but I don't see a problem leaving toys as long as he cant tear them apart.

·
Registered
112 Posts
crate

hi my dog is kept in a cage its a dog cage hes been in there since he was 5 weeks old treats it as a his bed he loves it best thing i ever brought :lol:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
All the crate training material I've read says to lure them in with treats to make them feel comfortable. Soon enough you won't need to coax her in she will go and quiet down. I did it. Also, I leave toys that are safe for her to have in the crate to chew but not destructable so that she could choke. The kong stuffed with peanut butter (or frozen PB, yogurt) works great.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Pig ears are not good for dogs but especially not puppies. Too fatty! And the choking factor.
A kong, buy a puppy one, with stuffing for puppies, or the peanut butter or cream cheese, stuff a few dog biscuits in there too. I agree, no stuffies, nothing the puppy could choke on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll get her a small kong. and i'll put her ball in there with her. she has a hard rubber ball that she cant tear up.

we do the peanut butter in the kong thing with our 7 month old foster dog. he enjoys it. but i wasnt sure if it was ok for a 5 week old, if the treats or peanut butter would cause their stomachs to get upset or give them the runnies.
thanks for the info about the pig ears. i wont give them to her again.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Tyger9791 said:
i'll get her a small kong. and i'll put her ball in there with her. she has a hard rubber ball that she cant tear up.

we do the peanut butter in the kong thing with our 7 month old foster dog. he enjoys it. but i wasnt sure if it was ok for a 5 week old, if the treats or peanut butter would cause their stomachs to get upset or give them the runnies.
thanks for the info about the pig ears. i wont give them to her again.
If my Mags gets too much PB she does get the runs - but one kong full is fine for her (large kong now that she is an adult) I don't imagine that it will cause any problems if you fill a small kong for the pup - but maybe just to be safe do it on a day that you can be there to let him out if need be just to make sure it doesnt affect him negatively before you start doing it while you are gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts