Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you fed your dogs tripe? My trainer feeds his dogs this, so I thought I'd give it ago.....boy oh boy does it have a funny smell, it looks awful and I reach everytime I feed the dogs! but it is suppose to be good for them.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Found this:

Tripe is considered by many experts to be one of the most complete foods for carnivores. It is actually the stomachs of the cow and contains a plethora of enzymes and beneficial bacteria.
Hmm, sounds good to me. Interesting that we've never heard about it :?

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
I don't know about feedng it to dogs, but my husband loves tripe...he eats menudo, which is a soup/stew with tripe in it. Ick...I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I feed my dogs grass fed green tripe. You have to make sure it's green unbleached tripe to get all of the nutrients out of it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Tripe is awesome and I HIGHLY recommend it.

I kept my late pit alive for 2 whole years with cancer, I swear it was because I fed her tripe and sealmeal everyday.

I recommend Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe, it stinks to hell when you open it but I swear the smell goes away.

I believe Merrick has a canned food containing Tripe that doesn't smell, but it's not pure tripe like the Green Cow is.

And it looks like baby poo...
:?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
EWWWW! My papa makes tripe stew and it is sooo stinky. I wonder if mana would eat it? Shes such a priss like me.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Yep, I have given my dogs this, it helps with putting weight on as the protein content is so high!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
mom to many said:
I don't know about feedng it to dogs, but my husband loves tripe...he eats menudo, which is a soup/stew with tripe in it. Ick...I'm not a fan.
Your husband.... IS A SICKO! :pukeright: :wink: My MIL eats that crap AND pickled pigs feet

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
newpitowner said:
mom to many said:
Your husband.... IS A SICKO! :pukeright: :wink: My MIL eats that crap AND pickled pigs feet
My grandma used to send us a jar of pickled pig's feet every year for Christmas...the catch was that she wrapped ALL the gifts she sent us, but didn't put "to" on them...so we all cautiously opened the gifts, waiting to see who would be the 'lucky one' thatgot to open the jar of pig's feet...ewwww!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Knowing Moose he would hate it. I am like always having problems with his eating. He now gets Wolfking kibble with a 1/2 can of Merrick dog food. So far he only likes the Turducen (turkey, duck and chicken). I tried others and no luck. I will try the tripe but I'm sure he will turn his nose up to it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I don't know.. it's said to be irresistable..
:pukeright:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I feed my dogs the tripe from www.greentripe.com It's pretty stinky stuff but they love it. I guess most dogs seem to love it, even the picky ones. It's a completely balanced meal and supposed to be one of the healthiest things you can give a dog. Check out the pics on the site to get a visual. The first time I looked at the pics I almost died! The things we do for these darn dogs!!!! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Tripe is a type of edible offal made from the stomach of various domestic animals. Beef tripe is typically made from the first three of a cow's four stomachs, the rumen (blanket/flat/smooth tripe), the reticulum (honeycomb and pocket tripe), and the omasum (book/bible/leaf tripe). Abomasum (reed) tripe is also seen, but with much less frequency, owing to its glandular tissue content. Sheep and pork tripe are also produced.

Fresh tripe, which includes bits of the stomach's last content, smells very unappetizing for humans but is a favourite of many dogs and other carnivores. Tripe has to be watered and meticulously cleaned for human consumption. "Green tripe" refers to unwashed tripe, not suitable for human consumption but often used in dog food. Green tripe is not actually green, but dark brown.

My father had us kids eating tripe (cleaned and white and brined) and pickle pigs feet and beef tongue and ox tail and frog legs. Liked it all.
:D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well my girls are loving it, bolw licked clean everytime. Not sure how much longer I can stand dishing it up, the smell and knowing what it's makes it worse :lol:

I add AS37 supplement and thy have sardines once a week, to help keep them healthy.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
It is SO gross. I can't bring that into the house I will as well as my family will throw up and then Moose will snub it like he does all his food.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
debs said:
It is SO gross. I can't bring that into the house I will as well as my family will throw up and then Moose will snub it like he does all his food.
Awww common! It's like watching Fear Factor but the participants are actually enjoying the disgusting feast! :wink: :lol: YOu can get it freeze dried too and it doesn't really smell as bad. I'm used to my house smelling like a barnyard though from all the bully sticks we go through.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts