Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to leash train my 8wk old AB , but as soon as I connect it to his collar he starts mouthing it and playing with it . I try to take it out of his mouth and he just starts wrestling with it . If I do get him to sit with the leash on as soon as I try to get him to walk he just pulls back or sits down then starts playing with his leash . Any suggestions ? I try to tire him out a little bit before training , but he really likes to play his own way . If I offer him a toy he will take it and shake it a few times then drop it and start looking for something else . The only thing he really likes to do is chase your feet or shoe laces and I am obviously trying to stop that :lol:
I really want to be able to get the leash on him so I can start working harder at his basic commands so any help would be great ! Thank you

Mike

·
Registered
979 Posts
mjh68 said:
I have been trying to leash train my 8wk old AB , but as soon as I connect it to his collar he starts mouthing it and playing with it . I try to take it out of his mouth and he just starts wrestling with it . If I do get him to sit with the leash on as soon as I try to get him to walk he just pulls back or sits down then starts playing with his leash . Any suggestions ? I try to tire him out a little bit before training , but he really likes to play his own way . If I offer him a toy he will take it and shake it a few times then drop it and start looking for something else . The only thing he really likes to do is chase your feet or shoe laces and I am obviously trying to stop that :lol:
I really want to be able to get the leash on him so I can start working harder at his basic commands so any help would be great ! Thank you

Mike
I only have my ridgeback experience to go with at this point (so feel free to ignore something that doesn't pertain to bullies), but here's my two cents;

1. Let him drag the leash for a while to get used to it. When you try to take the leash from his mouth you're probably just stimulating play. He'll get use to it, then maybe you can hold the end of the leash but not direct him.

2. Keep your training sessions short - he has no attention span.

Paula

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been trying that , but wasn't sure how long to let him drag it around . He also then just sits and starts gnawing on it , thank you though Paula I will just give him some time :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
mjh68 said:
I have been trying that , but wasn't sure how long to let him drag it around . He also then just sits and starts gnawing on it , thank you though Paula I will just give him some time :D
Isn't that just like a puppy! What happens if you let him gnaw on it until it no longer interests him?

Paula

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then he just lays there and if I attempt to pick it up that just stimulates more playing and gnawing :lol: He just seems to be a little late it seems on emotions . I got him at 7 weeks and he was just mellow and you couldn't even hardly get him to stay awake . He slept through his first puppy kindergarten class and now this week he is more active , but mostly attacking type playing ie .. chase balls , shoes , pounce on shoe strings etc.. Maybe next week he will be more attention orientated . House breaking is going pretty well , but I know he still doesn't get it . I caught him twice getting ready to pee , but caught him and got him outside quickly hehe . So only 2 accidents in about 9 days so far .

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Try putting the leash on him and have some small treats in your pocket. Carry him outside and put him down, then take out a treat and let him see it. Carrying the treat in your hand that is on the same side as the pup, start walking and say "pup" come. Because he wants the treat he will stop thinking about the leash. After he has walked a couple of feet, give him the treat. Keep doing this until he gets the idea. Since he is just a puppy, he thinks the leash is a toy for him to play with. He has to learn what the purpose of the leash is. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogart did that a lot as a puppy too. You could try applying some bitter type spray on the leash. I tried doing that with Bogart but being the goofy guy that he is, he actually seemed to like it. :roll: Anyway, just a suggestion.

Bogart ended up just growing out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.