Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diesel will finally walk on his leash a bit, but I'm so paranoid to take him out in the heat. Our temps have been around 90 but the humidity is making it so much worse. Is walking him just down the end of the block which isn't that far enough to get him out and get him used to walking a bit more? It's been so long since we've actually had a puppy and when we got our Dalmatian it was almost winter so I'm not sure of how much walking in this type of weather should be done, I don't want anything to happen to him.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I feel your pain, dogs need alot of exercise but at the same time it is just too hot!
I take my dog for long walks in the early morning and late evening when it's coolor outside.

·
Registered
979 Posts
BreeJ said:
Diesel will finally walk on his leash a bit, but I'm so paranoid to take him out in the heat. Our temps have been around 90 but the humidity is making it so much worse. Is walking him just down the end of the block which isn't that far enough to get him out and get him used to walking a bit more? It's been so long since we've actually had a puppy and when we got our Dalmatian it was almost winter so I'm not sure of how much walking in this type of weather should be done, I don't want anything to happen to him.
The humidity is the killer. Right now I don't walk my old dogs at all, and the young ones I walk at the crack of dawn.

Paula

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. I really wish it would cool off more at night, but it hasn't been doing that even and by the time 9am rolls around it's so hot all I even want to do is jump in the pool. I guess it'll have to wait a few weeks and then hopefully he'll leash train even better than he seems to do right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can your pup jump in the pool with you? Swimming is great exercise and certainly much cooler for the dog.

This weather has been rough though. Sometimes we can cool or AB off with a mister enough to where she is okay going for a walk. We definately go early in the morning and after the sun goes down though.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I feel you about this heat...

My dogs are both very high energy but the past few days have been house-bowned because of the awful heat.
If i can't take them to the nearby lake, then I try and hose them in the backyard which they love!! If you're going to take your doggy outside, just bring lots of water and don't hesitate to spray him with it.

It's really bad out there, but it will pass!

·
Registered
288 Posts
overprotective?

You sound overprotective. What did dogs do before the invention of air conditioning? Take him for a 10 minute walk. Sounds like you're treating him like a human baby.

man up,

Jackieboy

·
Registered
162 Posts
It can be fatal

Hey the weather can be fatal to them in these conditions. I have a 4 year old Amstaff and she couldn't do 10 miutes herself in this heat yesterday and it's colder here than where he is. Keep in mind some of us do treat our animals like our children. I mean to a certain extent.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You sound overprotective. What did dogs do before the invention of air conditioning? Take him for a 10 minute walk. Sounds like you're treating him like a human baby.

man up,

Jackieboy
Not cool at all. People have DIED in this heat, and I'm sure plenty of animals have too. Theres even a pet warning on the weather channel!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree

What did people do without air conditioning? They stayed in there houses and kept as cool as possible and I think that was Kat's point. Try to keep him cool in this weather. If he can do the walk great if not keep them in. Like I said mine is full grown and couldn't handle a 10 minute walk yesterday so it's up to you but Kat does what it takes to keep her dogs comfy and healthy. Back in the day without air conditioning i bet a whole lot more animals died.

·
Registered
162 Posts
LOL

I sure have...yes Jackie I sure have seen the dog whisperer..the same reason I don't agree with always crating your dog when you are not home and not brining a dog to a dog park. There's training an animal and then cooping them up for nothing. I believe a dog can be trained as well as a child.

·
Registered
288 Posts
point

I meant the d.w. comment mainly for BreeJ. What's her dog's age? 7 months and she's introducing him to a leash? Seems kind of late. I suspect she could benefit from Cesar's behavior in general with a dog, from the crack of dawn to sleepy time.

sweatin it off,

jackie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: point

Jackie said:
I meant the d.w. comment mainly for BreeJ. What's her dog's age? 7 months and she's introducing him to a leash? Seems kind of late. I suspect she could benefit from Cesar's behavior in general with a dog, from the crack of dawn to sleepy time.

sweatin it off,

jackie
We did start him off on the leash when we got him which he was already 4 months and sick when he first came home. So proper treatment to get him well was above all else including leash training. Keep in mind that I do have another dog who's training started right away when she came home although it was in the fall, so I'm not naive to dog training and how it should be done. We also had to get Diesel used to a leash and regular collar as the choker did nothing for him unless I wanted to drag him down the street which I didn't want to do, walks are supposed to be a pleasant experience not torture. Just asking a simple question on what is acceptable in the outrageously high heat we've been having.

And yes, I do treat my animals like children. They are members of the family or aren't they? There is however a big difference of how they are treated versus the way we treat our 2.5 year old son. Dogs and children are much different. Then again why am I explaining myself to you, I'm not here to get into a debate, just trying to get advice which the other PP have given without criticizing me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. For the meantime I will continue his walks in the house until it cools down a bit, which will hopefully be soon as I'd like to get some exercise too, lol.

Andrew: I wish he would go in the pool with us, but Diesel is afraid of a drop of rain. Although we have been working with him on not freaking in the bath and getting into the little pool our son has and he's doing okay. He did go up the ladder on our big pool the other day, we're just letting him take it at his own pace. I can't have him scared of the water otherwise he'll never get a bath.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jackie -- a tad bit too harsh....

jackie -- been reading some of your posts -- and LIKE brad pitt -- seems as if you have a sensitivity chip missing...

we all love our dogs - and treat them probably better than some do their kids (which is why some should be in jail....) - but it does no harm to you or anyone else....

let everyone enjoy their pups and let them be.

Anne-Marie

ps -- to everyone else -- sorry to sound so hars myself, but the posts from jackie seem to be negative...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Re: Jackie -- a tad bit too harsh....

teambrandt said:
jackie -- been reading some of your posts -- and LIKE brad pitt -- seems as if you have a sensitivity chip missing...

:lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.