Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have had my all white Staffordshire Bull Terrier for 3 days. He really is a dream puppy. He is five months old aready and was in the same vacinity as his mother for lots of it. He doesn't nip, rarely barks and growling is halted with a quick, sharp NO. The best part is that he holds his urine and feces for up to 6 hours already and loves the crate we got him.

However, the crate we got was too big for a puppy, 40" long so I had to make a block for it. After searching the whole house I made a grate out of shelving and stuck it in only to realize I had nothing to hold it in with. So, using my RED GREEN manly intelect, I put a carboard box behind the grate and wedges under the grate to secure it... well like most situations on Red Green this one didn't go exactally as planned and I came home from work(I am letting him out every 3 hours anyway) to find this poor helpless box torn to shreds.

I took him out of the crate and put him outside with his Kong, then went back in and cleaned out all the cardboard. When I was finished I just started laughing because I knew it was my fault for not making a proper divider and I knew that there was nothing to be angry about... especially after reading about Turo's distant relitive Patch in Australia :wink:

I have read lots of posts on here about getting your dog to go into the crate, mine loves it in there and the hardest part is to get him to come out or walk through just about any doorway for that matter. Any suggestions or past threads???

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well the main reason for a divider is so they dont have enough room to go potty in the crate and then push it aside and lie somewhere else.

If you don't have a problem with him going potty in his crate, I don't think there is a need for a divider

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
:lol: I love Red Green! So I found this thread particularly amusing - sorry :lol:

I have no advice about a divider. But as Kate said, if he's not going potty in his crate at all - you might not need a divider.

·
Registered
932 Posts
GREETINGS from your distant cousin PATCH in Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that... gees, my dog is famous on this site for being the destructive one!!!!!!

:thin:

nice to know he's got relo's all over the world, including Chile!

imagine them all in the same room!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I got a Staffordshire was that I fell in love with them after I had played a rugby union contract in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast last year. I was going to name him Alex ( for Alex Headlands where I lived) but decided not to.

After I posted that comment about the box, I had removed the divider for the rest of the day because I had to get back to work. Well sure enough, when I got back there was a nice present for me in the crate and again I just took him out and cleaned it. The contruction guys building a new apartment next store are building me a divider out of wood tomorrow with braces to keep it secure so I wont have a problem anymore, hopefully.

I hope to have a picture of him on here later in the week so eveyone can see him.

·
Registered
932 Posts
SlimSasky said:
The reason I got a Staffordshire was that I fell in love with them after I had played a rugby union contract in Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast last year. I was going to name him Alex ( for Alex Headlands where I lived) but decided not to.

After I posted that comment about the box, I had removed the divider for the rest of the day because I had to get back to work. Well sure enough, when I got back there was a nice present for me in the crate and again I just took him out and cleaned it. The contruction guys building a new apartment next store are building me a divider out of wood tomorrow with braces to keep it secure so I wont have a problem anymore, hopefully.

I hope to have a picture of him on here later in the week so eveyone can see him.
Ahh the Sunshine Coast is a lovely part of Queensland!
How long were you in Australia for? Did you only stay in Queensland?

And yes, Staffy's are one of the most popular dogs in Australia.

Re the crate - that's awfully nice for the construction guys to make a divider for you!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You can normally buy one anywhere they sell crates, they run about $10-$15. Now they come with the crate usually.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I stayed in Queensland. I went as far south as Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast. But, with playing every weekend it didn't leave much time for travel. However, I got to play a really high level of rugby and live in a different part of the world so it was a good experience.

The rugby community is really small and when you make friends from different countries it really makes the world a small place. That is how I ended up here in Chile. A coach I had 5 years ago remebered me and emailed me out of the blue. Next thing you know I am a rugby professor and both me and my girlfriend have jobs at a private school in South America... it's crazy actually.

Anyway, I am sure I will be posting a stressed out thread in the next couple days as Turo is adjusting to his new home and now is getting a bit of an attitude. It's good to see though, anything is better than timid.

·
Registered
932 Posts
SlimSasky said:
Yeah I stayed in Queensland. I went as far south as Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast. But, with playing every weekend it didn't leave much time for travel. However, I got to play a really high level of rugby and live in a different part of the world so it was a good experience.

The rugby community is really small and when you make friends from different countries it really makes the world a small place. That is how I ended up here in Chile. A coach I had 5 years ago remebered me and emailed me out of the blue. Next thing you know I am a rugby professor and both me and my girlfriend have jobs at a private school in South America... it's crazy actually.

Anyway, I am sure I will be posting a stressed out thread in the next couple days as Turo is adjusting to his new home and now is getting a bit of an attitude. It's good to see though, anything is better than timid.
so where are you originally from?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm Canadian. From Saskatchewan, which I am sure not many Aussies would know about. It's a completely flat province with all fields of grains and animals. Though I am from a city of 250,000 there is definately a back country feel everywhere.

Well it's official, I am now getting the same lovely behaviour as every pup owner on here. Peeing, crapping, and chewing. I don't mind too much because I have been reading threads on this site for about 3 months but, Jessica my girlfriend is definately suprised at how he seems to chew everything he sees. I have explained the whole "world only as big as we make it" principal, it's her first dog though so she will take a while to adjust.

·
Registered
932 Posts
SlimSasky said:
I'm Canadian. From Saskatchewan, which I am sure not many Aussies would know about. It's a completely flat province with all fields of grains and animals. Though I am from a city of 250,000 there is definately a back country feel everywhere.

Well it's official, I am now getting the same lovely behaviour as every pup owner on here. Peeing, crapping, and chewing. I don't mind too much because I have been reading threads on this site for about 3 months but, Jessica my girlfriend is definately suprised at how he seems to chew everything he sees. I have explained the whole "world only as big as we make it" principal, it's her first dog though so she will take a while to adjust.
I know exactly where Saskatchewan is!!!
My friend married a guy that lived in Saskatoon, in Saskatchewan!!!
They met on the internet, and he moved to Sydney, Australia and now they are married with a baby!
What a small world!!!

and yes, dogs love chewing... i know all about that! :cry:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This will sound funny but, what was his name. If you don't know someone in Saskatoon, you know someone who knows them, lol. That's my city, born and raised.

·
Registered
932 Posts
His name is Robert.

I won't say the surname on the net... i will PM you it if you want.

tall, blonde, blue eyed.
married an Aussie/Vietnamese... and as you can imagine their child is absolutely EXQUISITELY adorable and exotic looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts