Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two dogs have now just made a great improvement on the breed John and Donna with Piper and my Dealer. They recieved their Therapy Dog Title through Therapy Dog Internamtional. And also the Canine Good Citizen test. Both dogs were very hard tested and passed with flying colors. It did bring at lot of acknowledgement to the breed on Saturday and Sunday. But also helped make many realized they are wonderful dogs and not these horrible monsters that they have been also called. But also that you can have a trained protection dog, that has a AWESOME off and on switch. To go from one job to the complete opposite. They worked hard and made two sets of parents very happy. I truly believe we need more of them.

What are your thoughts on this testing? Do you feel every dog should be tested atleast for a CGC?

Attached are picture of Dealer and Piper!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
Great news! Congratulations :thumbright:

Where you live, are you allowed to have a dog that is training in personal protection/sport work also do therapy work? For some reason I thought that if you did any type of bitework, that it disqualified your dog from any therapy work. But maybe that was here and not where you live? Something like that seems to stick in my head though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Lisa said:
Great news! Congratulations :thumbright:

Where you live, are you allowed to have a dog that is training in personal protection/sport work also do therapy work? For some reason I thought that if you did any type of bitework, that it disqualified your dog from any therapy work. But maybe that was here and not where you live? Something like that seems to stick in my head though.
Congrats!...Yeah I thought the same thing. Unless one does protection work and the other has the therapy title.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am from PA.
All dogs can be tested. I just make sure to tell them that they are trained and they make clear that everyone knows, Bright YELLOW highlights on paperwork. It used to be a rule, but no longer is.

But commen sense should tell any handler/owner, that you need to be able to know your dogs ability. I know, that neither of these 2 dogs would go in PRo. mode during a visit. I personally think they both would be better Therapy dogs then protection dogs. Both think the world is to LOVE only them :lol: :lol:

Lisa said:
Great news! Congratulations :thumbright:

Where you live, are you allowed to have a dog that is training in personal protection/sport work also do therapy work? For some reason I thought that if you did any type of bitework, that it disqualified your dog from any therapy work. But maybe that was here and not where you live? Something like that seems to stick in my head though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Congrats!

Here we can have any dog tested. I looked into St. John Ambulance's Therapy Dog Program, but the problem for me is that you have to dedicate one day out of every week and it always has to be the same day. I don't have the time. Not to make sure it's the same day anyway. It's a shame, Jaz would love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
Care said:
Congrats!

Here we can have any dog tested. I looked into St. John Ambulance's Therapy Dog Program, but the problem for me is that you have to dedicate one day out of every week and it always has to be the same day. I don't have the time. Not to make sure it's the same day anyway. It's a shame, Jaz would love it.
Every dog can be tested, but can a protection trained dog actually go out and do therapy work in nursing homes, hospitals etc???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I believe its Delta society that does not allow dogs that have done any type of bite work to become Therapy dogs.

Congrats on the titles. :thumbright:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Lisa said:
Care said:
Congrats!

Here we can have any dog tested. I looked into St. John Ambulance's Therapy Dog Program, but the problem for me is that you have to dedicate one day out of every week and it always has to be the same day. I don't have the time. Not to make sure it's the same day anyway. It's a shame, Jaz would love it.
Every dog can be tested, but can a protection trained dog actually go out and do therapy work in nursing homes, hospitals etc???
For St. John's ambulance program, yes. They say "any dog of sound temperament can become a Therapy Dog." I have not seen any restrictions. I can ask. I know the ladies now who run it in Peterborough. I donate to them and love meeting their dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
Congrats!!!!

I know that if you want your dog to be able to visit nursing homes it CAN NOT be fed the Raw Diet that is the only restriction i know of
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,577 Posts
Let me just say that Therapy Dog work is more appreciated than you'll ever know. When my father was in hospice there was a dog that would come in every other day...he did more to lift our spirits than anything else.

I also brought my friends therapy dog in and he spent the entire day with us in there. It's a very important thing, and I thank you for bringing the AB's into this world (therapy world).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Tia said:
Congrats!!!!

I know that if you want your dog to be able to visit nursing homes it CAN NOT be fed the Raw Diet that is the only restriction i know of
I guess it all depends on where you are and what program you use. One of the ladies who runs the SJA program was talking to me about switching her dogs (whom are in the program) to raw, so obviously that doesn't apply here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
OH wow that is cool care i wish it was the same everywhere like a actual regulation so different place wouldnt just change the rules, I wanted my boy casper to go to hospitals casue he was so great, but b/c of his diet he couldnt go, i refused to change it :?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top