Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so now know that Magnus has dog aggression. Only towards some dogs, and mainly female. He was very aggressive towards Molly, and she's a submissive dog. He was not aggressive towards Haus, and Haus is dominant. I've only just started my research on this, but I keep coming across the same thing. A few websites list these three types of dog aggression: dominance, pack, and fear. I've never dealt with any form of DA, and I need help. Of course I'll be seeking a trainer, but I'd like opinions here as well.

He also has other types of aggression: predatory and toy. He's not food aggressive that we know of, but we feed all the dogs in their kennels to avoid any fights.

I'm looking for resources, books, videos and such that can help educate me on this subject. Things I can do to help him as well. When we get him back, we are going to implement NILIF. I know that is going to help some, but I still need to understand him better and help him.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
It looked like from your pictures that Magnus got along okay with Molly when they were both on leashes. I'm very curious to hear what the members who are more familiar with dog aggression have to say about this.

·
Super Moderator
15,983 Posts
I do not want to give advice on what needs to be done to correct the situation or deal with it but I would like to give some insight to your thought of
but I still need to understand him
When Clara first came to us, I did not have a clue to her personality or to what made her behave as she does. I joined the forum and got some of my questions answered but what I found that bothered me most, was that I did not know what she was thinking. I realized that no one else was going to know this either and that the only way I could find this out was to watch her, observe her and study her movements and expressions. This was how I finally figured out how to deal with Clara so that I could train her. This, I feel, is what is going to have to be done with Magnum. No quick judgements as no two dogs are the same, it will take time to study him thru watching him, but if you can start to understand why he does what he does, then you have the ammunition you need to work with him.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump, anyone? :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts