Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am not feeding them together or letting them have chews together. This is what happened and I am almost at my breaking point and it has only been 48 hours. I told everyone that Dirk has been growling at Isabella and others when he is eating and someone walks into the room. Well, he was laying on the couch and Isabella went to climb up on the couch with him and he growled at her. Just a low grumble and Sugar hears this and jumped from one couch to the other and tore into his ass. I had to yell at her to get off...she did immediately and I sent both to their kennels. I am so scared that something bad is going to happen. They were getting better together. I had no tiffs at all today until now. I really am starting to think that Sugar has turned into a different dog in just 6 months. She has never shown any signs of aggressios towards any dog.

·
Registered
320 Posts
As for the food aggression....I would definetly not give them treats together (give them their treats in their seperate kennels), and feed them seperately.

And if your one dog is growling at everyone (humans) over his food I would just take his bowl away altogether, and start only hand feeding him for a while...make him work for his food, and he'll get the picture pretty fast. Just put his meals into plastic bags and carry them around with you, and give a command before you give him some.

As for Sugar showing signs of aggression towards other dogs.....I'm sure she is a much different dog now than she was when she was a pupp, that's just normal. Give it some time for them to establish their rank order, and don't leave them alone together.

Hope everything works out!!! :)

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I agree. She has been gone for six months, and there is another dog in the house now. I think you should give it some time, and maybe crate and rotate if it continues to be a problem.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
When I brought Nala home, I kept them separated for weeks. I only let them sniff and lick through the fence. After a few weeks, they were used to seeing her, so when they were together, it was no big deal. Dirk and Sugar are going to bump heads for a while. Each of them think the other dog is on "their" turf.

As far as growling at the baby, you know how I feel about that. I'd keep him away from her as much as possible.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
augrad said:
It sounds like Sugar was protecting Isabella more than picking a fight with Dirk.
I agree but would be worried about safety of my kids.What if they are in the middle of a dog scuffle / fight
I would be crating and rotating as well.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Sounds like this is a problem caused by the actions of the owner.

What breed is Dirk? Sorry maybe you told me but I can't remember?

You can't treat AB's like Labs. If you aren't prepared for the possiblity of having to keep 2 dogs separated then you shouldn't obtain a second dog.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dirk is a 5 month old GSD puppy and Sugar is a 3 year old AB. Dirk isn't really upset about her being the VP as some one put it but Sugar has a problem with Dirk's puppy antics. The jumping around and biting in the face puppy stuff. As far as aggression. The only one in the house that shows those signs towards humans is Dirk and I found out that Dirk had a bone hidden in between the cushions of the couch and I think that is why he growled when Isabella jumped up on the couch. I think he may just be a dog that needs HIS own space when he eats or enjoys treats. There is nothing wrong with that I guess. I just really hate to have a dog like that with a 2 year old in the house. I thought that I had put them all away but he will hide them or bury them outside! I have been keeping Dirk in his crate or outside for the most part and only let them see each other through the fence. They seem to be doing better today. They actually laid on the couch together this morning.

Oh and Family of Five...stay off my thread please. I really don't need to have to sort through your BS remarks to get to something worth reading! Thanks ~Vonna

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cookies Mom said:
SugarBear said:
Oh and Family of Five...stay off my thread please. I really don't need to have to sort through your BS remarks to get to something worth reading! Thanks ~Vonna

wow why the hate? :shock:
Why don't you go back and read through some of the BS that he threw at me when I was going through all the shit with Mench. I have no respect for him!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
Why can't we all just get along? :?
We can get along. I just really don't want to hear any of that "I know whats gonna happen next" Let's take the dog out back and shoot it! I did what I had to do with Mench! He was a unstable dog and I don't regret a thing! There is a huge diffrence between what Dirk is displaying and what Mench was. I'm sorry about the stay off my thread bit! I shouldn't have said that. I am still a little sensitive to all that though.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't know the details of what happened with your other dogs. All I can add to this is..... I would NEVER allow a dog around my child that has showed HUMAN aggression. Ever! I am sorry, but if a dog growled at my child I would have one less dog. It is NOT worth the risk. We are talking about a defenseless child here. This behavior can not be tolerated even if he is "growling over a bone in the couch".

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
SugarBear said:
Cookies Mom said:
SugarBear said:

Why don't you go back and read through some of the BS that he threw at me when I was going through all the ** I almost cursed ** with Mench. I have no respect for him!
Oh Vonna we don't have to go back and look at any other threads because all of your threads end up being the same deal. Why do all of your dogs growl? How come you gave this one a few more days rather than kill it over a weekend like you did Mench? BTW, is this new Sheppard the dog your husband and vet bought for you the same day you put Mench to sleep?

There are about 2 thousand members on this board and none of them have had aggression problems with several dogs like you have. Let's not forget the dog you gave back to the breeder because of temperment just so you could get Mench. NEVER a post that your new pup was aggressive until you got Sugar back? How come all of this happened so suddenly?

You have issues with knowing how to handle your dogs and should be smart enough to know that there could be problems with intoducing two dominant breeds into the same household. Ever thought of maybe keeping them seperated for a long period of time rather than just letting them lounge around the house? Maybe I'm wrong...maybe you aren't smart enough but you should be experienced enough.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
SugarBear said:
Dirk is a 5 month old GSD puppy and Sugar is a 3 year old AB. Dirk isn't really upset about her being the VP as some one put it but Sugar has a problem with Dirk's puppy antics. The jumping around and biting in the face puppy stuff.
Don't let dirk get like this. If Dirk starts playing like this and you can tell Sugar is getting annoyed, get in between them and tell Dirk to stop in a firm voice and make him sit and lie down. This will have to happen many many times but eventually he will get the idea.

As far as aggression. The only one in the house that shows those signs towards humans is Dirk and I found out that Dirk had a bone hidden in between the cushions of the couch and I think that is why he growled when Isabella jumped up on the couch. I think he may just be a dog that needs HIS own space when he eats or enjoys treats.
I really think you need to do NILF with Dirk. I believe this will help the situation with him growling at Izzy whether his bone was in the couch or not. This would start with him not being able to be on the couch unless you invite him up. Then he wouldn't be able to hide his chews where you can't find them

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Family of 5 said:
SugarBear said:
Cookies Mom said:
SugarBear said:

Why don't you go back and read through some of the BS that he threw at me when I was going through all the ** I almost cursed ** with Mench. I have no respect for him!
Oh Vonna we don't have to go back and look at any other threads because all of your threads end up being the same deal. Why do all of your dogs growl? How come you gave this one a few more days rather than kill it over a weekend like you did Mench? BTW, is this new Sheppard the dog your husband and vet bought for you the same day you put Mench to sleep?

There are about 2 thousand members on this board and none of them have had aggression problems with several dogs like you have. Let's not forget the dog you gave back to the breeder because of temperment just so you could get Mench. NEVER a post that your new pup was aggressive until you got Sugar back? How come all of this happened so suddenly?

You have issues with knowing how to handle your dogs and should be smart enough to know that there could be problems with intoducing two dominant breeds into the same household. Ever thought of maybe keeping them seperated for a long period of time rather than just letting them lounge around the house? Maybe I'm wrong...maybe you aren't smart enough but you should be experienced enough.
:eek:ccasion5: thanks for saying it for me. That's all Im gonna say - or I might get myself suspended again :lol:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
FWIW, she posted about Dirk having these problems long before Sugar came home.

Vonna you've got some good advice here, I'm sure everything will be fine. Just keep a watchful eye. Something to think about, dogs can sense seizures long before they happen too, I wonder if any of your dogs are sensing something "off" with the baby? Strange thought, but it came to mind since she was having such terrible seizures not that long ago.

·
Registered
594 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
FWIW, she posted about Dirk having these problems long before Sugar came home.

Vonna you've got some good advice here, I'm sure everything will be fine. Just keep a watchful eye. Something to think about, dogs can sense seizures long before they happen too, I wonder if any of your dogs are sensing something "off" with the baby? Strange thought, but it came to mind since she was having such terrible seizures not that long ago.
Hey, that is a point. Never thought about that. I am not going to sit here and re hash all this non sense about what dogs did what blah blah blah....I already said that Mench and Dirk are on different ends of the spectrum as far as behavior. I already did post about Dirk on another thread and Trina responded as well as a few others. Dirk isn't just growling at Isabella for no good reason like Mench did. Dirk never shows his hackles like Mench did and Dirk doesn't piss all over himself while he growls like Mench did. Damn why didn't I keep that dog again???? I think that my biggest problem is that I tend to treat dogs like people. I am sure most of us on here at one point in time have done so as well. I feel guilty for crating the dogs when I look at those sad eyes. Dirk is awesome with the kids when there is no food or chew involved. He just needs to be alone when fed and crated when he is given a chew. PERIOD! I know this! I am not going to euthanize my dog for this behavior because it is something that can be fixed! Stop comparing this situation to the other because they are in no way the same!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts