Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie, our Catahoula, had some discharge from her, um, female area this weekend. She was drinking lots of water last week and I chalked it up to the heat but after the discharge I called our vet. They asked us to drop off a urine specimen since she was otherwise fine (no loss of apetite or energy). I figured certain she had a UTI.
Well, there was no white blood cells but her sugar was high. So I took her in late this afternoon to get blood drawn. He (the vet) is leaning towards diabetes but of course won't know until the blood work comes back. Other possibilities include Cushing's and Addison's (both of which make diabetes sound like a cake walk).
The discharge - he says doesn't fit into any scenario and may just have been irritation.
One of the nurses I work with (a fellow dog lover) said maybe it was just the "thing" that needed to happen to get her diagnosed.
Anyway - keep Maggie in your thoughts.
:(

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
That is aweful!! Hopefully it was a freak occurance

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had a female pit mix years ago that had diabetes. I found this out when (she slept with me) she started wetting the bed. After the second occurance I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed. She needed insulin injections twice daily, and took them like a trooper, though she looked at me in such a way as to make me feel like an ogre. As Angie said - I hope this is just a freak occurance for your pup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update

I am still waiting on the blood test results but form what I read it sounds more and more like Cushing's disease. I will post a seperate thread but wanted to update this one.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
You are in my prayers [-o<

1 - 5 of 5 Posts