Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.leerburg.com/

Has anyone bought any of the DVD's from Leerburg? I plan on buying... a BUNCH of them. From starting puppy to final Police dog. I want to train K9's to be police service dogs with full knowledge and drug detection. If Leerburg isnt the best choice let me know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Still, his videos are extremely harmful especially to the newbies. If Sch. is your thing I'd recomend the Dildie's vidoes and/or books. Here you'll learn from a true champion rather than a person who has only placed. The differences in methods is bluntly apparent. With Dildei's method above and beyond Flinks and any other video leerburg has. There are also books and videos of local Sch. guy, Ivan Balabanov. although I have never seen it or read his book, his accomplishments in Sch. should make it worthy. Hope this helps, happy training.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I think seminars are the way to go, really instead of videos but if you were to buy one from Leerburg, asa newbie it wont be a waste of money for you. You may look at things differently as you go on in training, and use some info and not others. Flinks is a competitor, i dont really know what you r saying if you listened to his video he has acheieved very high ratings in ob in sch, poice trainer, etc.. he has been around the block just no one over here knew him. Gottfried is a good trainer as well, really its what "method" you are looking for. I got judged by gottfried and went out for dinner with him, we chatted, nice guy, good competitor. I must ask how far you are from a schutzhund club Cmoazz cause its really worth going to a seminar, and if you can go to a Raino Fluegge seminar, will be well worth it! :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
I stepped off a plane in Colorado. I greeted everyone there. At the time, I had a column in Dog Sports Magazine called Its The Pits, where I would write about the different aspects of Pit Bulls in the working dog community. Everyone was very friendly. Until I presented myself to a man who not only didn't shake my hand, he also looked at my little female Pit and asked me; "Well, how many babies has your dog killed?" Stunned I said "What!!!" His reply ... "those who have those type of dogs should expect that type of questions". After taking a very deep breath, I answered ... "the people who ask those questions are only displaying their own ignorance". After that I asked who was that gentleman's name taking videos of the seminar. Guess who it was??? Yep, "Mr Leerburg" himself.

But besides being a horse's rear end, his videos are useless if you compare the little good in them to the overwhelming load of futility there. Just the same as re-training as opposed to training in dogs (its 3 time more difficult), the same applies to humans. Its better to learn correctly right from the get-go, than to learn wrong (thinking its right) and then try to learn it correctly. Its just a plain waste of time and $$$$, unless you have enough of both to spare.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Nelson said:
I stepped off a plane in Colorado. I greeted everyone there. At the time, I had a column in Dog Sports Magazine called Its The Pits, where I would write about the different aspects of Pit Bulls in the working dog community. Everyone was very friendly. Until I presented myself to a man who not only didn't shake my hand, he also looked at my little female Pit and asked me; "Well, how many babies has your dog killed?" Stunned I said "What!!!" His reply ... "those who have those type of dogs should expect that type of questions". After taking a very deep breath, I answered ... "the people who ask those questions are only displaying their own ignorance". After that I asked who was that gentleman's name taking videos of the seminar. Guess who it was??? Yep, "Mr Leerburg" himself.

But besides being a horse's rear end, his videos are useless if you compare the little good in them to the overwhelming load of futility there. Just the same as re-training as opposed to training in dogs (its 3 time more difficult), the same applies to humans. Its better to learn correctly right from the get-go, than to learn wrong (thinking its right) and then try to learn it correctly. Its just a plain waste of time and $$$$, unless you have enough of both to spare.
WOW!!!!! What an (not so nice word that cant be put on here)!!!! I can't believe he said that to you!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Tia said:
Even if Leerburg doesnt like Pitbulls , has nothing to do woth Flinks, he only tapes the footage, doesnt make them both the same person.
I was refering to the rude comment made to Nelson by Leerburg( thats if you were talking to me :D ) I know it has nothing to do with the other guy! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Even if Leerburg doesnt like Pitbulls , has nothing to do woth Flinks, he only tapes the footage, doesnt make them both the same person.
Tia and all,

I see your point and it is a valid one. On the other hand I also stated that his videos (Flinks included) has little to offer to a true dog lover who want to train correctly and that it's a huge waste of time and money to even bother with it.

Flinks method of "Outing" the dog off the ball by "Flanking" (sharply pulling the thin skin that connects the hind leg to the abdomen area) him is totally unacceptable in my book. Not only that, but if this method was to be used as he said (and Mr Leerburg explains) it will bring many unnecessary injuries to a lot of handlers. You would have to have extreme timing and speed to do it, something that newbies can't expect to have without experience.

On the other hand their are other methods who use good old fashioned dog training. The one where you actually teach the dog what you want him to do. In this case, <<<open your mouth and drop or give me the ball>>>. Flink has some accomplishments, true. Yet others actually have won multiple championships. Two VERY different things. As the years go by I've seen and come to realize that anyone can put a title on a dog, and even get to high level competition. But not everyone can get those ellusive championships. That is what I was refering to.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Likei said before Nelson, some methods on videos you will use and other you will not, the outing exercise by flanking i do not use, but the retreve method in a whole is great keeps the dog calm, therefore higher points in the exercise. The method for coming in straight (pulling leash up behind your bum) is great, making the dog chose what he wants to work for whether be ball, tug etc.. is great to show newerpeople to the training aspect. Dont get me wrong i do not sit at hone watching video after video but i do think they r good reference tool, and besides they were all made for a reason, people chose that trainer to watch for a reason, they know what they r doing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
... and besides they were all made for a reason, people chose that trainer to watch for a reason, they know what they r doing.

I have to disagree again. It's a huge generalization you make here. If only half of the people knew just how much bad information is in those videos, he wouldn't be a millionaire today. They prey on people who know little or nothing about dogs and training. Reason why the knowledgable dog people find Leerburg videos laughable. Even though I beleive that every trainer in the world can have a positive contribution to the world of dog training, I also believe that we should strive to get and/or be the best for the sake of our dogs. Our dogs can't chose a trainer or method. It's our duty to have a continous improvement plan to benefit our dogs. That's why when you see sub-par videos like Leerburgs, who's bad info overweighs the good ones ten fold, and compare them to above average videos from true Top Notch trainers/competitors, its a no contest. Stick with the good and brush off the mediocre, unless you use it for entertainment purposes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow I cant believe leerburg said that.

Anyhow I dont know if Sch is really what im looking into... I just want total control obedience for police work. Is that the same as Sch training?
Any besides that Leerburg is a donkey, are the DVDs in his website still worth getting?

·
Registered
70 Posts
No, they're not worth a dime, unless you get them for free and simply for entertainment.

If you want to be a real trainer you would have to combine theory with practice. The best videos and literature in the dog world is only part of what you need to get where you want. You'll also need a mentor(s) to help you take the "short cut". By this I mean they will help you with the proper interpretation and practice of what your reading and watching and get you to where you want in a shorter time than if just try it for yourself.

Sch. is a sport. Police dogs, patrol dogs, guard dogs, PP dogs and others, have a training geard to real life situations. But don't get me wrong. I firmly believe that the best knowledge is in good sport clubs. Sch clubs are one of the most abundant, there's also French and Belgian Ring, but these are less common than the others.

If you want to develop all aspects of training, bitework included, I'd recommend that you go to a club that also practices with a body bite suit where you can get leg biting dogs. Leg biters through a whole new perspective into agitating dogs. Leg biters put a huge strain in your balance, so it takes a bit longer to learn. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Appreciate it Nelson, I know a master k9 trainer, the one who will be training my dog. Hes really a good trainer. I guess ill just ask to be hands on when he does my dog. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king."
Popular Spanish saying.

"The ones who can ..... DO."
Popular American saying.

:druid:

By this I mean, to beware of the hype. Don't look .... observe. Don't hear .... listen. Wlak through the smoke screens before making a decision. There are far more trainers without credibility than good ones. Those without credibility (talent) will fill their sites with a lot of hype. Ex: "Master Trainer" titles, and other titles about him(her)self, many trained "Police dogs", "PP Dogs", and other non-provable titles.

When deciding for a trainer, look more at their accomplishments in trials that are not up to him/her. I give more credit to trainer who can produce a CD obedience title in dog than one who has a million trained dogs from uncertifiable means. And you are in an oasis of good trainers. Learn to evaluate objectively and your pocket and time won't be wasted.

On behalf of the dog who bites only when the decoy runs, I can't answer that question responsibly without seeing the dog. It could be myriad of reasons that can be speculated: genetics, raising, training, socialization, handling, etc, etc, etc. I would have to know the age, methods used, time in training, within other things. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the basic obediance DVD, just wondering what do you mean it all sucks as far as information based???? From my understanding the way he demonstrates in the DVD, should not be too far off as far as use of a prong collar goes. Correction the praise/treat. So this should not be used for even basics??? Sheila has seemed to respond well and has advanced a bit since employing this method. I am just trying to get her basics down before she starts the Schutz club soon. I just wonder if we are watching the same video, or am I that way off base and have obsolutely no clue??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.