Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Kate has her 2nd UTI since I have gotten her. Well I'm assuming it is one becuase she went potty 4 times on a very short walk today and 3 outta the 4 times aboslutely nothing came out and yesterday on her walk she went many more times then usual. I have a vet appointment at 3:30

I'm very suprised she has another one. Anyone have any idea as to why she is getting these? Is it possible she is just not drinking enough? I always thought she drank an adequate amount but not a ton.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She has a recessed (spelling??) vulva so I get to whipe it with baby whipes from now on. lucky me

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LuvaBULL said:
Maybe it's a congenital anomaly like her tail, you know what I mean? Poor Kate, hope she's feeling better soon.
That is what my mom said. I guess I did always notice how her sisters stood out more... I thought it was always a problem with Madison not Kate lol

And Fawn, they are doing a urinalysis and a culture. The urinalysis should show if there are crystals in the urine.

I'm in a medical lab procedures class and 2 weeks ago we did a urine exam with just the test strip and last week we did the uralysis with the microscope, too bad this didnt happen then and I could have brought Kate's specimin in instead of mine!! Would have saved me f'ing $165!!!!!!!!! plus more to come when the culture comes back with more meds to be on ](*,)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Kate said:
She has a recessed (spelling??) vulva so I get to whipe it with baby whipes from now on. lucky me
Poor Kate. I was just talking to somebody the other day about that condition.

Jazmine used to get UTI all the time when she was young and we had problems with crystals. Once we switched her to raw she has never had any more problems.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kasco said:
You're such a good mommy, Johanna! :lol: :wink:
I feel so special

Care....I wish I could go to RAW, but no time or money for that, the whole college thing gets in the way. If these do start happening more frequently tho, then something will have to be done

·
Registered
979 Posts
As your vet about acidifying her urine with an amino acid supplement like DI Methionine. It comes in a tube like cat laxative. Also her diet may make her urine pH too high (alkaline)? High protien is the way to go - which is why the poster who said RAW cleared up her dog. You don't have to go raw, but maybe something with more protein and less filler. What are you feeding BTW?

Paula

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have her on DVP Duck and Potatoe

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found this.... "Puppies who get frequent puppy vaginitis or bladder infections and have an "Innie" vulva should NOT be spayed before their first heat. To do so is to sentence this pup to frequent vaginitis or bladder infections throughout its lifetime. "

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know someone said something about them feeding their dog frozen cranberries.... so if you get 100% pure cranberry juice and put some in their water (or maybe not because they might never stop drinking lol) I would assume it would be okay.

I just looked at DVP and it is 21% protein. I looked at Innova and it is 42%. HUGE difference. There is a place I can get it at here in Rochester.... only if it isn't that much more expensive. Would the switch be good for her?

](*,) because I didn't JUST change her food either (sarcasm there)

damn dog!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Kate said:
I know someone said something about them feeding their dog frozen cranberries.... so if you get 100% pure cranberry juice and put some in their water (or maybe not because they might never stop drinking lol) I would assume it would be okay.

I just looked at DVP and it is 21% protein. I looked at Innova and it is 42%. HUGE difference. There is a place I can get it at here in Rochester.... only if it isn't that much more expensive. Would the switch be good for her?

darn dog!
I just went to the natura pet products store search results for Rochester NY and got some. I don't know how they relate to where you are.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.ph...&state=NY&phone=&city=rochester&name=&x=0&y=0

Paula

·
Registered
979 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
Kate said:

darn dog!
I just went to the natura pet products store search results for Rochester NY and got some. I don't know how they relate to where you are.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.ph...&state=NY&phone=&city=rochester&name=&x=0&y=0

Paula

Sorry, I meant to add. I use Innova at the moment. It is a high calorie food 557cal/cup so you use comparitively little. My active male ridgie eats about 1/14 cups 2x a day. My inactive seniors get 1/2cup innova and 1/2 cup canned green beens 2x a day.

Paula

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx for the help Paula. The park ave one is right down the street from me. The other ones arent too far off either. Im going to check them out probably this weekend. I pay $40-$45 depending on a sale or not for the DVP in a 30lb bag and it is lasting quite a bit. So if this food is in this range I will switch and hopefully..... no surgery will ever be needed!

Would this be a problem that started with the Dam?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Kate said:
Thanx for the help Paula. The park ave one is right down the street from me. The other ones arent too far off either. Im going to check them out probably this weekend. I pay $40-$45 depending on a sale or not for the DVP in a 30lb bag and it is lasting quite a bit. So if this food is in this range I will switch and hopefully..... no surgery will ever be needed!

Would this be a problem that started with the Dam?
Food I know, breeding - not so much.

Paula

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You should find out what her ph levels were from your vet when they tested her. You can also buy test strips and test yourself. Lots of crystals and UTI are caused by alkaline urine, so then cranberries could help. If infact she has problems from acidic urine you could do more damage than good. Most vets recommend high protein diet for alkaline urine and low protein diets for acidic urine. The problem is (especially in bully breeds) too low or too high protein diets can lead to other health problems that could be worse.

Apple cider vinegar is also something that can sometimes help with ph levels. I would think the first step is keeping the area clean, like your vet suggested and then go from there.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting that you should change her diet. That would take lots of dedicated time for research and for finding suppliers. There are people on both sides of the fence, and you have to be (IMO) already on one side befoe you switch. But everbody thinks it's expensive, it's not. Unless you buy pre-made food. I spend way less than half of what I used to for a holistic kibble.

:flower:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts