Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old Valley Bull (eng/boxer) named Phil. Within the past couple of months he's started to attack me. I can just be on the couch and he'll jumpup and start biting me, he hasnt broken skin yet because i dont think his teeth are sharp enough. He'll leave bruises and indents, but no blood. I live with my boyfriend to whom Phil rarely attacks (if at all). Phil also has eaten several pairs of my shoes, and destroyed them, yet doesnt touch my boyfriends. Phil jumps up on me at the top of my stairs...ive almost fallen down a couple of times. I've been trying to keep him off the bed, but the bf protests and allows him to sleep with us. Does Philly hate me??

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
It doesn't sound like he hates you, but it definitely sounds like he doesn't respect you at all. Are you an authority figure in his life, or do you let him get away with whatever he wants? Are you involved in his obedience training at all?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
This is what I have written already:
Phillys mom...I don't believe dogs can acutally "hate" someone. They can sense fear and nervousness but not hate. sounds like he just doesnt respect you. if you live with him, trying earning respect from him by making him work for his food.... make him sit and do commands before he gets his food. also hand feed him for a few weeks so he realizes that food comes from you also. Another good thing is for you to take him on long walks by yourself and do obedience work on these walks. exercise is a great thing for these bully breeds and often is the root of a lot of problems.
Phillys Mom said:
He knows to sit before he gets food or a treat, and i take him on as long of walks as possible. We live in Florida and its very hot and humid, so on walks he tends to start breathing very heavily and i worry about heat exhaustion as i hear alot of pug-nosed dogs can get.
ahhhh yes... my dog cant walk very long in the heat either. But just try to establish your role as an alpha pack leader too because it sounds like right now your boyfriend is the only one your dog sees as this role. And sometimes to change this it can be just little simple stuff such as you giving him his dinner instead of your boyfriend. And when he runs and jumps on you, dont let him. give him a firm no and make him get down, or you get off the couch and walk away and ignore him. Slow and steadily things should start to work out better as long as you stay firm and consistant.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
say ouch when he bites you and stuff a toy in his mouth and walk away.
sounds like you need to take a hand in training him. thats just my opion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, he'll listen to me when I say "sit" for the most part, and im working on training him to not jump up on me and try to bite the leash when he goes out for a walk. I try to speak in a lower voice and be more dominant, but this is my first dog and I think he can sense that he makes me a little nervous that he's too heavy for me to lift or move around. I try to discipline him on walks, by making him walk next to me instead of pull me all around the neighborhood. The only thing I have to help me is his fear of plastic bags, i have to shake one at him when he acts up, sometimes it backfires and gets him even more riled up.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sounds like he thinks he's running the show. you need to be firm and correct him for this behaviour, before he gets bigger and older.

·
Registered
101 Posts
sounds like he thinks hes the alpha male in the house. theres a few things you can try.
1, the dog eats last. let him see you and your family eat 1st. this is a big rank thing in the dogs mind.
2, always enter the room before your dog.
3, try not to stare at your dog when when youve told him off, a nervous dog can be a dangerous dog.
4, try time outs. if he just wont behave take him out of the room and shut the door. when he stops barking and settles down, then allow him back into the room.
5, i think the best thing you can do is local training classes. try to find one that does home visits.
you need to nip this in the bud. hes at that age where he will push his luck.
i hope this helps. good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
74 Posts
yea you should pretty much read the "Big Time Biting" thread and follow all of the advice given there as it applies to this situation as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a beautiful Valley Bulldog named CHOPPER. He is a great dog. Just wanted to tell you that I went thru some of the same things when he was a pup until at least 2 1/2 yrs. He will be 5 in Aug. At times, I truley thought he would tear my house down! He ate on just about anything he could get his teeth on and believe me when I tell you he had lots of toys. Remember, they are ver hard headed when they are young, but in time, u will see they are the most loving, and devoted dogs. We think he is the best and I am so glad we were patient with him. Chop still gets excited when we have company. He loves people and wants to jump up on them. Push your knee to his chest if he does this. It will help teach him to stay down. These dogs are very smart too. You can't help but love them.
This is Chop's photo

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Seen this so many times, Dominance...you are so low down in the pack! You have got to establish that you are higher. When Roxy use to do that, I would take her by the collar and take her out of the room and shut the door till she calms down. I also hand feed her, make her let me walk threw doors first, wait atleast 10 mins before I say hello to her, if ppl are home, I greet them first then make her wait till I'm settled, then I call her to me for a greeting.

This I saw on TV once, try buying a food bowl excactly the same as his and eat some food from it, then gets his dinner ready and feed him in his bowl. Make sure he always eats after you.

The bed thing should stop, but if you can't then make it so you invite him in.

Not sure if any of the above will help. But with the back up of some obidence training you should be able to get higher up in the pack :)

Put your shoes up higher, mine are destroyed regulary and again only mine :lol:

Edit: You have also keep on top of any training or rules you make, bully's are extremely stubborn !

Deffinately doesn't hate you, just enjoys bullying you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I'm reading through everyones suggestions (and thank you they are helpful) I notice another problem that phil has... he seems to have a minor case of seperation anxiety. When my boyfriend steps outside to get the mail, phil sits by the door and whines...he wont move until he comes back. If my boyfriend is talking to someone outside phil will go crazy and bark and whine until he comes back in. He does this for me too (i think), anyone else have this problem?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
I have lost so many cat flaps! As I live next door to work, if I stop and talk with someone before I go in, she goes mental. She rips the cat flap off, sticks her head out of the door and whines really pittyfull and very loud. I ignore her and go into work. She just goes off to sleep, I hear her shut up when I close the staffroom door. :lol: I really try to ignore whining. I know she is safe and can't come to any harm. Altho it is costing me a furtune in cat flaps, I buy them bulk now :lol:

So I guess what I'm saying is... ignore the whines, trying to comfort the dog will only make it worse.

I saw this guy the other day, with a collar on his dog that let out a strong puff of air, which distracted the dog from what he was doing. He had a belt on which control it. You could try that? This might help with the barking. Also the obidence would help here, distraction, then command.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh yes....Chopper would tear up my flower plants, BIG flower pots with plants in them. If I was talking to the neighbor across the fence, he would grab my pant legs and pull me back or jump on me and push me away from them. It is very anoying, but they just want all the attention. They love to be touched. and if he could be a lap dog and get by with it he would. The one effictive thing that worked for me, was when we left, we always said we would be back and rewarded him when we returned. He is good with it now, although he loves to ride. Chop was in obedience school for 6wks and was very obedient when he returned. It was myself that had the trouble following thru with the rules, so he tends to revert back if not corrected. His trainer sugested a horse whip. Its about 3 ft long with a leaher flap at the end. POP him good about 3 or 4 times on the butt when he disobeys. It only stinngs, the sounds he does not like the most. I really do not have to use it, only show it to him.
Your dog is just beautiful. Not very many Valley owners I have met on this site. So glad to see others and their beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Philly'sMom said:
As I'm reading through everyones suggestions (and thank you they are helpful) I notice another problem that phil has... he seems to have a minor case of seperation anxiety. When my boyfriend steps outside to get the mail, phil sits by the door and whines...he wont move until he comes back. If my boyfriend is talking to someone outside phil will go crazy and bark and whine until he comes back in. He does this for me too (i think), anyone else have this problem?
try leaving the house for a few mins and coming back. when you come back in dont make a big fuss and dance of your bully. keep doing it over and over. gradually increase the away time. when you come in. walk straight past him, do run of the mill things (make yourself a coffee) then sit down and relax. THEN fuss the dog. if you dont act like its a big deal, he wont think its a big deal. its hows i stopped diesel crapping all over my house! it worked for him. :)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I just wanted to say that you have a nice looking family

·
Registered
40 Posts
Reach out to this guy! He can help!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cesar!! LOL i watch that show constantly, i wrote an email to his people or whatever asking if they would consider coming to tallahassee to help with Phil...so far no response but im hoping!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lots of good suggestions, except Ceasar is a useless fantasy. Watching him or reading his books ain't gonna do nothin' for you.
There is no excuse for a dog this age to be biting on you. (and BTW - his teeth are plenty sharp enuff to tear you apart if he chose to - not saying he will, just FYI).
I would take it very seriously. You do not want to live like this.
The only way this will change is if both you AND YOUR BOYFRIEND make sure the dog knows he is last in everything. This means he has to change the way he acts towards you and towards his dog.
(for instance, when he comes home, does he greet you first or the dog?)
This dog has to learn that you come first, no matter what, always, No exceptions!!!!!

I know you might not be big enough to kick yer dog's ass, but I'll bet your smart enough to kick your boyfriends ass (metaphorically speaking).

First thing that has to change is get the dog off YOUR bed.
No excuses. This is non-negiotable. This dog should not be sleeping on the same level as you.
Tell your boyfriend - He sleeps with you, or he sleeps with the dog.
If he chooses the dog, that tells ya something, doesn't it!
Your boyfriend needs to choose to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

The dog should not be allowed on the furniture. Ever.
The couch is for you and your boyfriend, no dogs allowed. Period.
Get the doggie a nice little bed or two (one for the bedroom and one for the living room).
That is his spot. You and your boyfriend have to teach him that.
If you do not know how to do this, ask the forum, (or better yet, ask the trainer that you're going to be getting to help both of you teach your dog some manners.)

This dog should get everything from you until he learns his place.
All food. All treats. All affection. All walks. Everything.
And he doesn't get anything unless he submits to you in some way ( for instance, by obeying a command).
You are his ultimate master, and he does not get anything unless you decree that he has earned it!!!

Most important of all - there are good reasons why this kind of dog is not recommended for inexperienced owners - get a good trainer and learn how to discipline and command this dog so you are not afraid of him.

·
Registered
451 Posts
tohall said:
No excuses. This is non-negiotable. This dog should not be sleeping on the same level as you.
Your boyfriend needs to choose to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I've heard people say this a lot. However, I let Boss sleep in my bed and I let him on the couch. He doesn't have the behavioural problem this dog has, but I'm wondering if I should not allow him on the bed or couch. Is this just bad, period? Or are there exceptions?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
tohall said:

I've heard people say this a lot. However, I let Boss sleep in my bed and I let him on the couch. He doesn't have the behavioural problem this dog has, but I'm wondering if I should not allow him on the bed or couch. Is this just bad, period? Or are there exceptions?
I also let Harley sleep with me :oops: , but I know I'm not the only one on here who does. Harley knows full well who's boss in this house, as it sounds Boss knows he isn't (yours). Everything I've read says NOT to do it, but it doesn't seem to cause any riots here. If she's taking up to much room, one shove will have her laying on the floor (without complaint). If I tell her "off", she listens. Personally, I don't follow every bit of traditional advice, this is one of a very small # of things I disagree with. But, like you, I don't have any problem controlling my dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts