Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
pet peeve . . . RESCUES . . .

bulldog rescue here in Minnesota charging $450 for an 8 year old English Bulldog, their life expectancy is 8 years!

$150 for a fixed animal is not bad, that's what Hart in Brainerd is but many places are $300 . . . charge less, move them out quicker, feed them less food . . . offer "discounts" for dogs on "death row," offer cheaper prices for seniors too . . .

I know of one vet who was very upset, he fixes the critters for free, they tack $150 for adopting the cat and later he ends up putting the cat down for free because they can't adopt it out . . . charge less, duh!

·
Registered
181 Posts
The use of the term "Rescue" is a pet peeve of mine. It's become a way for people to feel like they can act morally superior to others. ie, I 'rescued' my dog from a bad pet store. No, you didn't. You supported the bad pet store. Or people who adopt a rescue then act like they are the patron saint of animals because of it, eager to tell anyone who'll listen their dogs sad past and how they saved it. Sometimes this is valid, often...not...overpaying a rescue to adopt a dog that is now fine and doesn't care about his past, doesn't really make you a hero.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
over paying backyard breeders or "reputable" breeders may not make you a hero but it does make you a dumb ass. I have 4 (counting my daughters dog and my sons dog) that were adopted and the cost was less than 80 dollars for them all. My dog was bought from a byb by the young man who bequeathed him to me, my daughters dogs adoption fee was 75 dollars, including spay, my sons dog was free from an accidental litter of some freaking hill billy, and my Kate was from the rescue free of charge, cause they love me so much.
this is not to say responsible breeders are a bad idea but, just cause you have a cute dog or a calm dog or a game dog doesn't mean you should breed it with someone elses cute, calm or game dog. JMO

·
Registered
160 Posts
One of my pet peeves is when I'm browsing the pet ads (I have an addiction...) and someone is selling puppies but they say "adoption fee" for the price. I don't know why it irritates me so much.

·
Registered
181 Posts
oh man, ok I was going to make a new post about this but hey, its just a vent and ties back to my one about parents, kids and dog. I took Chumley for his short walk this morning, just up the street there is a young family, with a little boy and girl and their cocker spaniel pup. Today for some reason they decided to leave him unleashed while they were in the front garden. When "Mickey" the spaniel sees us, he comes tearing across the street over to play. There is a fairly busy road intersecting ours so I was already ticked that they'd have a pup off leash in the first place. Then mom says "Oh I'll go get his treats!" and disappears inside! The cocker is playing keep away with Chumley, who is going bonkers wanting to play and getting worked up in the 35c weather. Then the little girl of about 7 runs over and starts trying to catch her dog, who bolts into the road. A car slams on the break and narrowly avoids Mickey who is oblivious and runs back to Chumley. The driver rolls down his window and yells obscenties at ME then tears off. At this point the little girl starts crying and freaking out. Mom is STILL INSIDE. WHERE THE HELL ARE THESE TREATS?! Finally Micky got close enough to me and I managed to snag him by his big floppy ear. Thank god the pup was friendly, having a stranger grab your ear would probably be a good excuse for a bite! He had no collar on. Then the girl comes over and takes him by the scruff, and as she gets to her front yard mom saunters out with a leash and collar..'oh...sorry' she yells and they go inside. Ugh.#-o:disgust: Well it scared the crap out of me, my heart froze when that dog almost got hit. And that poor girl!! Stupid people!!! If I see the dog unleashed outside again I'm definitely saying something!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
oh man, ok I was going to make a new post about this but hey, its just a vent and ties back to my one about parents, kids and dog. I took Chumley for his short walk this morning, just up the street there is a young family, with a little boy and girl and their cocker spaniel pup. Today for some reason they decided to leave him unleashed while they were in the front garden. When "Mickey" the spaniel sees us, he comes tearing across the street over to play. There is a fairly busy road intersecting ours so I was already ticked that they'd have a pup off leash in the first place. Then mom says "Oh I'll go get his treats!" and disappears inside! The cocker is playing keep away with Chumley, who is going bonkers wanting to play and getting worked up in the 35c weather. Then the little girl of about 7 runs over and starts trying to catch her dog, who bolts into the road. A car slams on the break and narrowly avoids Mickey who is oblivious and runs back to Chumley. The driver rolls down his window and yells obscenties at ME then tears off. At this point the little girl starts crying and freaking out. Mom is STILL INSIDE. WHERE THE HELL ARE THESE TREATS?! Finally Micky got close enough to me and I managed to snag him by his big floppy ear. Thank god the pup was friendly, having a stranger grab your ear would probably be a good excuse for a bite! He had no collar on. Then the girl comes over and takes him by the scruff, and as she gets to her front yard mom saunters out with a leash and collar..'oh...sorry' she yells and they go inside. Ugh.#-o:disgust: Well it scared the crap out of me, my heart froze when that dog almost got hit. And that poor girl!! Stupid people!!! If I see the dog unleashed outside again I'm definitely saying something!
That is ridiculous! some people just dont think!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would like to vent about the security guard a local park...
my daughter has been playing tournament summer softball and sometimes plays at a very nice park that has 2 dog runs (one for little and one for big dogs not that i was there to let him in the run just to watch my kid play her game) and at the first game or 2 there i saw a lot of people with their little dogs and puppies so i decided to bring Cuj to the next game.

We drive in him in the back seat buckled in plain as day ( he isnt the kind of dog you can miss) and no one says a word to us we get out the car and start walking and this woman starts yelling to us that he is not allowed that she will be nice and warn me but others will give me a fine. now i am am confused i have seen tons of little hair balls running around the past few times and there is a dog a run....
so i tell her umm isnt there a dog run? and she tells me oh ok then you can go...
maybe its me but i dont get it. why are we being spoken to? all he did was hop out the car on leash!! at first i thought maybe she thought we were going to the swing area but really she told me he couldnt be here, not in the playground that we were not even near. I was so annoyed that i hid him behind my chair as we watched my daughter play softball because i was afraid she would come and give me a ticket! and i did see other people walking around freely with their dogs. so annoying!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would like to vent about the security guard a local park...
my daughter has been playing tournament summer softball and sometimes plays at a very nice park that has 2 dog runs (one for little and one for big dogs not that i was there to let him in the run just to watch my kid play her game) and at the first game or 2 there i saw a lot of people with their little dogs and puppies so i decided to bring Cuj to the next game.

We drive in him in the back seat buckled in plain as day ( he isnt the kind of dog you can miss) and no one says a word to us we get out the car and start walking and this woman starts yelling to us that he is not allowed that she will be nice and warn me but others will give me a fine. now i am am confused i have seen tons of little hair balls running around the past few times and there is a dog a run....
so i tell her umm isnt there a dog run? and she tells me oh ok then you can go...
maybe its me but i dont get it. why are we being spoken to? all he did was hop out the car on leash!! at first i thought maybe she thought we were going to the swing area but really she told me he couldnt be here, not in the playground that we were not even near. I was so annoyed that i hid him behind my chair as we watched my daughter play softball because i was afraid she would come and give me a ticket! and i did see other people walking around freely with their dogs. so annoying!
You did a good job not being rude back to her. If I was you I would've asked her in a not so nice way did she not see all the other little fluff balls running around and how come she isn't saying anything to them! Gosh some people can be so irritating.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You did a good job not being rude back to her. If I was you I would've asked her in a not so nice way did she not see all the other little fluff balls running around and how come she isn't saying anything to them! Gosh some people can be so irritating.
i should have!~ but i was just so taken back. shocked because dogs must be allowed in the park there are 2 dog runs smack in the middle of the softball fields!
and in good karma coming our way cuj was well behaved and had a really good relaxing day watching is sister play softball, we even went back this weekend!
fyi lindsay your dog is awesome looking!

·
Registered
158 Posts
My extremely irritated vent comes because of my neighbor. Since I moved in with Joe, I don't really know the people in the area and haven't seen much of the neighbor across the street. I always see his old, ratty looking dog up on his front yard but that's about it. Well, Jax is certainly a conversation starter, because ever since I brought him home, it looks like I have a new best friend.

He's an older guy, looks really rough for no reason. And by rough I mean drunk. Or something is just missing upstairs. I now feel trapped in my own yard because EVERY TIME he sees Jaxon, he calls him over all goofy like. Remember, my neighbor is ACROSS THE STREET. Jax isn't usually on a leash in our fenced in yard and usually stays in the back, because I think the noise from the cars whizzing by freaks him out a bit, but we have a usually opened gate where the driveway is. But now I have THIS
MORON calling my puppy from ACROSS THE STREET. I do my best to snatch him (and now have begun to leash Jax, which sucks because he cares more about playing with the leash than pottying) but sometimes he gets by and trots towards the street. He's never gone into it but I practically crap my pants everytime.

He comes over with his ratty dog who equally looks drunk, but poor thing is pretty mild mannered. Jax got in his face and the dog growled once and Jax
Immediately backed off which is good for him to learn. The neighbor always need to tell me puppy raising tips about food and vaccinations which I hope means that his dog is. I try to avoid them at all costs because his dog is just disgusting looking. Leaking pee, poo attached to his butt. I cringe and scoop up Jax everytime.

Not only is he teaching my pup to run into the street but he and his dog just look so dirty. Freaks me out. I try to be nice because hell, the guy knows where I live and can tell if Joe isn't home if his car isn't there, but I cannot stand him.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
dear feedstore: it would have been really nice if you had called me to tell me you couldnt order the dog food, especially when i told you last saturday i had enough food for a week only.... i would have gotten it elsewhere if i had gotten a call stating you couldnt order it... now i have to make a special trip to go get food for the dogs....

cellar- just ignore half the stuff the neighbor says, and be nice, i have [-([-([-([-([-([-([-( neighbors next to me, their dog was always getting loose (breaking collars) so i gave them 3 strong martingales and they are now nice to me lol.... and keep the pup on leash outside, so that he cant run across the street- its very possible the neighbor has no one and just wants to talk to someone too, he is probably a really nice person.. try not to judge by how someone looks but by how they treat you (think BSL- dogs are discriminated against by their looks and some folks automatically think those dogs are bad) he might not have alot of money to care for his dog which may be why the dog looks the way he does.... i have tattoos and a pitx and a german shepherd, and i get stereotyped alot by strangers

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, I guess you're right, but I can certainly judge someone on their actions. When I tell you to specifically not do something (like call my dog over a street, respect my wishes when I'm trying to teach leash manners) and you blatantly ignore my request... screw you.

Today, he gave me two cucumbers and one obviously used Beanie Baby for the pup. The thought was sweet.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
sometimes people take a few times to learn to not do stuff lol.. you could also ask him to help you teach leash manners too, like reverse psychology... this way you get him to respect your wishes, and you can also use him to help teach manners to your pup.. i gave 3 used martingale collars and 2 used leashes to the neighbor next door, they were way stronger then what he was using, and while they were used they really appreciated the offer and the dog is now wearing one of the collars i gave them and they walk her on one of the much stronger leashes i gave them..

yeah gazar, i used to get alot of comments walking the dogs around the neighborhood, and once i started answering the comments alot of the people changed their views on mostly the dogs, which is what i wanted.. everyone around here used to think the dogs were bad dogs and stereotyped them, now the little kids all pet the dogs and even the bad people here are much nicer and even ask advise for their dogs which is nice..

121 - 136 of 136 Posts