Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there everyone, first time poster long time reader... have found the forum very helpful thus far with any questions I've had and ya'll have some good looking dogs too!
Anyways, I bought Sir Guinness Stout in late January after doing about 5 months of research on AB's. I could not be any happier with him and the way he is growing up (is just over 6 months now)! However, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem I am having with him. For some reason, his skin has been very dry since I first got him at about 14 weeks old and I cant seem to do anything about it. I have been giving him 2 teaspoons of Missing Link (1 in AM, 1 in PM) with his food for the past month and a half, and for the past 3 weeks I have also been giving him 1200mg fish oil pills with his meals. His coat is very smooth and shiny, however he still has very dry skin that tends to cause flakes in his fur. The vet gave me a medicated shampoo called "Keratolux" to replace the "epi-soothe" oatmeal cream rinse and conditioner that I was already using. Either way, neither of these have helped and his dry skin almost seems to be getting worse. I was hoping someone out there who has had this same problem or who knows what else I might try can help me?

Also, I had him on DVP Original from the time I got him until almost 3 weeks ago, when I switched to Diamond Brand Large Puppy Formula (made sure it was not from recall). He had dry skin with both of these, so I am thinking of switching him to Authority Large Breed Puppy once his Diamond is almost through. Any suggestions on this? Could it be as easy as switching from a beef/lamb based food to a chicken based food?

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also, how's the new avitar look??? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Stay with the fish oil for sure, but I HIGHLY recommend a product called Eqyss... they make shampoos, sprays, etc. out a formualtion made by NASA used for astronauts. Thier natural botanical formula actually pulls moisture from the air into the dogs skin..I have seen this stuff work miracles, and definitly works better than many of the vet prescribed shampoos by far. It can be found in many pet stores or feed supply stores, or you can order it by visiting http://www.eqyss.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone! I will definitely try the vitamin E, the eqyss, as well as the raw egg. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Also... any thoughts on whether or not switching foods to a chicken base might make the difference? Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Harley was having a flaky skin problem until I started giving her 2 tsp. of organic flax seed oil per day. 1 tsp. with her morning feeding and 1 tsp. with her evening feeding. She loves it and her coat is so smooth, shiny, soft and no more flakes. You can buy it at walmart 8 oz. bottle is about $6.00. I've only been giving this about a month and her coat is beautiful.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Please feel free to censor me here, b/c I've never tried this, but someone told me to try Skin-So-Soft by Avon (topical). It is also a bug repelant, and can help keep dogs free from mosquito bites. Obviously, you wouldn't have to wait to see results. I don't even know if they have Avon there. Maybe I should just be quiet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.