Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 week old Amstaff that I got two days ago. He screams bloody murder if I do not pick him up or hold him on my lap at all times. I try to interest him in toys, balls, treats, anything, the only time he will let me put him down is when he has to potty. I am crate training him so I put him in and out of the crate to create some distance between us and to get some things done around the house. I do not want him to become a dog with attachment disorders nor do I want him to think I am not bonding with him. I try to wait and pick him up when he isn't crying as not to reward that behavior but he never stops. I don't want to fuss at him too much because like I said he is adjusting to us but I can't carry him around 24/7 with him on my hip. Do they get better after a while? Anyone been through this and how do you show love and bond without creating a dog that has those attachment disorders. Thanks for listening. Angela

·
Registered
412 Posts
aww, 6 weeks is pretty little. Brodie did this too when we first brought him home, (8 weeks) I let him sleep on my lap all the time, you might want to enjoy it now, because soon he will be too big to pick up! For us, it did get better after a couple of weeks. He would sleep just fine in his crate next to my side of the bed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok there is hope

My other dogs enjoyed their toys and chew toys and would let me hold them but not continuosly. I am new to the breed so wasn't sure if we were bonding or if I was creating a Monster ;) Who at 50 pds would terrorize the house if I didn't pick him up lol. I feel some releif. I thought I was ok but needed a little reassurance. Angela

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
We had got our pup a few days shy of seven weeks.The one thing I found that works best is to find a small clock and place it in there bed.The sound of the ticking is supposed to be like the mothers heart beating.I have been doing this since we got Buster and it is working out great.Another thing you may want to do is Pet-smart sells these little blankets/pillows and you take the inside out and microwave it to warm it up then place it back into the case and put that were the pup sleeps.The warmth makes them feel secure like there siblings or mom are with them.I wish I could remember the name of it but I found it with the toys.(or you could use a hot water bottle but make sure it isn't too hot)When Buster would cry I try to ignore him.They say that you need to leave them for at least 15 minutes to start out with so they don't get the separation anxiety but again he is still young.Remeber that he was taken from his mother and siblings and is now in a new environment and that alone takes time to get use to and adjust.Buster is 9 weeks now and when he gets tired he will come over to me and whine and some times I pick him up and he will fall asleep on my lap or other times I ignore him and he goes into his crate were his bed is to sleep(all depends what I am doing) But like the others said he wont stay small forever so Enjoy it while you can.BTW.......HE is adorable!!!!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
We use tube sock filled with rice as warmers at the Clinic for surgery patients and small puppies. Once you fill the socks with the uncooked rice just stick them in the microwave and warm them up and place them in the crate with a blanket and he should snuggle up to them like a make believe sibling! LOL...It will be like another warm body in there with him. It is a cheap alternative to the Pet-Smart stuff. Lots of Luck!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would be afraid my 10 week old would eat the sock and injest all the rice. He's a chewer. Although I do like the warm blanket idea. I wonder if you could just stick a warm blanket in the microwave and stick that in their crate. I know if won't stay warm long but it's a cheap alternative too. Maybe?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Ideas

I have the heat disc you get a petsmart and the clock. It is not at crate time it is ALL of the time lol. Today was better though so I will hold him while I can. Poor thing he always seems to be freezing and shivering so I think he just wants to get warm. Can't wait until spring :) Angela

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Aww looks soo much like Roxy did at that age.

Well I cradle Roxy all the time, she came everywhere with me....and to this day(apart from carrying her) she still goes everywhere with me, guess I'm saying if you don't do nothing about it, they don't grow out of it.....but then again, I enjoy having Roxy with me and she does allow me to go out and leave her on her own lol :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want that too but

I can't carry her at 50 lbs lol. I hope he is as beautiful as Roxy when he grows up. I can't wait to see what he will look like :)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Buster did the shivering when we first got him and we figured it was because he didnt have the warmth of his siblings so we held him all the time.Then when we would take him out to go potty he would just shiver so we bought him a sweater and all is good.He is 9 weeks now and hardley ever shivers now.Now he snores........LOL
I cant wait for spring either :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my pup at about a week old (orphaned) and she would whimper a lot and I held her as much as possible but when I couldn't then I put two stuffed animals into her little crate and she draped herself over them as if they were her litter mates. I also added a tee shirt with our familiar scent - So to this day ( 9 weeks old) she still has a tee and stuffed animal in her crate. Although now its more like her sleep buddy and her chew toys.

Hope it works out for you :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts