Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 year old bulldog that is very sick. It all started with an ear infection that was treated Dec. 1st
as a routine infection with antibiotic, ear clean, ear cytology. Two weeks later went in for recheck, taken off medications told to keep ear flushed routinely. Two weeks later what appeared to be hot spots broke out all around the ear, puss and blood. A mess! Back to vet who found a large type pucture hole behind ear. Asked if other dog could have bit him. Possible but not probable. Put back on antibiotic, cleaned wounds, and sent home. Two weeks later same thing occured, bloody mess same exact area only this time ther ear is totally infected again, so swollen that Vet can't look in. 8 to 10 more puncture holes all around the ear and neck. Vet said that if he was seeing this dog for the first time he would say that he was attacked by coyotoes! He simply doesn't know what it is. Now this poor bulldog has 5 drains in the wounds, a plastic E-collar on, and is absoulety miserable. During the course of all this illness, we have seen 3 different vets and they are all treating it has an ear infection, possible dog bite. The other dog we have is a male springer spaniel who has been raised with the Bulldog. He is non agressive and very sweet.
Has anybody seen or experienced anything like this? We have spent over $1,000 in the last 6 weeks trying to get him better and we are very fustrated! I think the vets are too. They said it is a mystery!
Would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Or possible referral to a good "bulldog" vet in the Orange County, CA area. Thanks

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sorry to hear about you dog...sounds like a real nightmare. :cry: I live in orange county and have a pretty good vet. She's helped my dog through allergy problems and mange. She doesn't specialize in bulldogs but I could call her or give you her number. She may know someone in your area that is pretty knowledgeable in bulldogs.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
jeanety said:
I have a 7 year old bulldog that is very sick. It all started with an ear infection that was treated Dec. 1st
as a routine infection with antibiotic, ear clean, ear cytology. Two weeks later went in for recheck, taken off medications told to keep ear flushed routinely. Two weeks later what appeared to be hot spots broke out all around the ear, puss and blood. A mess! Back to vet who found a large type pucture hole behind ear. Asked if other dog could have bit him. Possible but not probable. Put back on antibiotic, cleaned wounds, and sent home. Two weeks later same thing occured, bloody mess same exact area only this time ther ear is totally infected again, so swollen that Vet can't look in. 8 to 10 more puncture holes all around the ear and neck. Vet said that if he was seeing this dog for the first time he would say that he was attacked by coyotoes! He simply doesn't know what it is. Now this poor bulldog has 5 drains in the wounds, a plastic E-collar on, and is absoulety miserable. During the course of all this illness, we have seen 3 different vets and they are all treating it has an ear infection, possible dog bite. The other dog we have is a male springer spaniel who has been raised with the Bulldog. He is non agressive and very sweet.
Has anybody seen or experienced anything like this? We have spent over $1,000 in the last 6 weeks trying to get him better and we are very fustrated! I think the vets are too. They said it is a mystery!
Would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Or possible referral to a good "bulldog" vet in the Orange County, CA area. Thanks
Maybe snake bite? Can they check for a presence of venom? Or, are there Iguanas where you are? They have a very high bacterial content in the saliva that can cause pocalized major infection, samonila and flesh eating bacteria that is hard to diagnose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sick bulldog

Does anyone know the name of the vet that specializes in bulldog who is in Norco/Riverside area, CA? I heard that there is an excellent vet in that area. Thanks.

I am also going to check into the snake/Iquana possibility. I do live in a rural area. However, my other dog who lives outside with the bulldog has suffered no injuries at all and they partically sleep together!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
you say he lives outside? is there anything out there that could be injuring him - maybe nails sticking out somewhere, or a chain-link fence, or barbed-wire, or something like that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no nothing that would be sticking him anywhere. The strange part about this is that when I put him to bed he is just fine. In the morning he was just a bleedy mess. Like my vet said "it looks like he has been attacked by coyotes" . The vet shaved his neck, and head and couldn't believe all the pot holes.
Some are so deep he put drains in them. I counted 5 drains in one area. He really is a mess! Can't stand the E-collar. But we have him on pain meds to help him get through this. One of the conclusions we have come up with is that all this started from a very infected ear! Each time he has started bleeding his ear is completely swollen inside, so swollen that the vet can't see inside. So it may also be pot holes that his body has created to let the puss/infection out. Sorta like drain holes. But there are so many holes that we still haven't ruled out some sort of bites! I really appreciate everyones thoughts and suggestions! Please keep them coming. I am going to suggest some of these to my vets for him to check out.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I took these off of a bulldog website. this is the site...I think they have alot of good info about bulldogs.
http://www.bulldogsworld.com/ Let us know if you check into any of the vets...I'm always looking for someone that knows about the breed.

Bruce D. Whitaker, DVM
2670 San Miguel Dr.
Newport Beach, CA 92660
(949) 759-1911
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Michael Butchko
West Riverside Veterinary Hosp
Riverside, CA
Phone (909) 686-2242
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Martha Eaton DVM
Sunnymead Animal Hospital
24537 Sunnymead Blvd.
Moreno Valley, CA 92553-3781
909-242-3118

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr. Simon (949) 495-2224
Marina Hills Animal Hospital
30251 Golden Lantern Suite A
Laguna Niguel , Ca. 92677

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Does he have to be kept outside? Try keeping him inside with you except for supervised bathroom and playtime. Maybe you will find it clears up being kept inside and only going outside under supervision. Then you would know it's something from the outside. And you can begin to eliminate the possibilities. It sure would be alot better than spending mucho more dollars.

Is he an English Bulldog?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you so much Heidi. That website is AWESOME! I did speak to someone from Bulldog Rescue and he also referred Dr. Buscho. he said that is where most everyone takes there bulldogs in the rescue
He mentioned however that Dr. Buscho Sr. (one in Riverside) is in a very bad barro area. He has a son in Moreno Valley that also very good and that is where he takes his bulldogs. So I am going to head up there tomorrow for a second opinion. I guess they don't make appointments so it is first come first serve, sometimes the wait is up to 2 hours to see Buscho, Sr. However, he also said that their fees are very reasonable with an office visit only being $18.00. A far cry from 39.00 that I am paying now!
Thanks again. Jeanety

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes he is an 8 year old English Bulldog. Thank you for your suggestion, that is exactly what we are doing. We are keeping him confined to an area in the house/garage. I am keeping a very close eye on him. He seems to be resting comfortable, although very disoriented with the E collar on. My springer spaniel knows that somthing is up and won't leave the area where he's at. Watches through the window and keeps bulldog in his sights.

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
I would check your dogs back nails. It could be that the ear is itching him quite severly and he is using his back nail or nails to scratch it with. It one nail is quite a bit longer than the others it could be producing a puncture mark, especially if he is repeatedly scratching throughout the night. The infection itself sounds like an allergy especially if it has a musty, yeasty smell.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If he's anything like Bear he can't reach his ears with his back leg. He makes me crack up when he sits on the floor trying back and forth with one foot then the other. I can't figure out why he doesn't try his front paws. Guess he likes to amuse himself. :lol:

·
Registered
720 Posts
bearsmom said:
Does he have to be kept outside? Try keeping him inside with you except for supervised bathroom and playtime. Maybe you will find it clears up being kept inside and only going outside under supervision. Then you would know it's something from the outside. And you can begin to eliminate the possibilities. It sure would be alot better than spending mucho more dollars.
I would also try this and keep him away from your other dog for a few weeks! If he has puncture wounds it has to be a bite from another dog or creature or he is getting poked by a nail sticking out of a fence or something, but seeing as he has multiple wounds I would bet the farm he is getting bit by your other dog or maybe a stray!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Update Please!

Has anyone heard anything about Jeanety's baby? I've been trying to keep an eye on this posting but there hasn't been anything for a while. I hope and pray that her boy is ok.

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
I think I'll pm her and see how things are - will let you all know if I get a post back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi everyone,

this forum has just been awesome! Thank you for all of your concern and support. Harely has had a very rough week. He is completely disoriented with the E collar on. Medications make him sick to his stomach so he hasn't been eating hardley anything. Took him to the vet yesterday and they took out the drains. He is healing, but very slowly. His feet are bothering him as well. Any good remedies for ulcerated feet? Anyways, I am keeping him confined and watching him very carefully. My heart of heart tells me that it may be my spaniel that has been biting him. Vets think that he may have been licking a "hotspot" and just licked to rough and they got into a fight. So for know I will keep them separated and see if Harley heals up. There is still a possibility it may be a very deep inner ear infection where the cartlidge has broken and is piercing the ear canal. Let's hope not, because that is very expensive surgery! Harley is 8 years old and it may not be a good thing for him. The vets and I still think it is from bites because of the scratch marks. Jeanety

1 - 20 of 24 Posts