Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the vet today to pop in and weigh Daisy. While I was in there they noticed something that I noticed yesterday. Daisy was limping. They had an opening so I had the vet take a look at her. Hips, feet and ankles all seemed fine, but both her rear knees were a little loose. He said the patellas were fine, but he thought the ligaments were not very tight which could cause arthritis down the road. He also said that it could be from playing around or just growing and may tighten up here shortly. I am not supposed to let her go up or down any stairs, no walking or playing, but only up and around basically when she has to go out. :cry: To top it all off, she has a Staph infection on her belly. Talk about a bad day.

p.s. I asked the vet about food recommendations just for kicks. He said not to switch often and to stick with big name brands like Science Diet or Iams because "...they know what they are doing." :shock:

Edit: Could a moderator move this to the Health & Exercise forum for me?

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Bub had that staff infection on the bald part of his belly. Is Daisy laying on anything in her crate that could be causing any irritation? Our vet gave us a spray for it and it seems to be helping.

As for her knees, that is sad. Before you limit her to doing nothing like he suggested I think I would get another opinion. I can't imagine he would give that advice on a puppy knowing how active they are. I'm hoping she is just having a bad day and she will be much better soon.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sorry to hear! Doesn't sound like it was a fun day for you! I would get a 2nd opinion, just to be safe too. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about Daisy's problems. I agree with the second opinion suggestions, especially regarding something that may affect her quality of life such as the potential for arthritis.

Hoss said:
p.s. I asked the vet about food recommendations just for kicks. He said not to switch often and to stick with big name brands like Science Diet or Iams because "...they know what they are doing." :shock:
Bella's vet said the same thing. The only food she urges people to stay away from are generic grocery store brand foods because "They're not in the pet nutrition industry." :roll:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Loose knees

I'd get your dog checked out by an ortho. It's possible there is a small tear in the CCL and bulldogs won't show it easily because they are well muscled. A partial tear can quickly become a full tear in an active dog and that will lead to arthritis. Have the vet test for a drawer movement, and keep her quiet until you get it checked out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may try to see if I can get her in somewhere else. I am going to wait a few days to see what happens with her first though. It came out of nowhere. She had no problems, then suddenly yesterday she started limping. The vet asked if she had fallen off of anything, but the only thing she did was fell off the second step onto the ground right on her face. I don't think (read hope) that it is anything serious, just maybe part of growing? Only time will tell, and maybe a second opinion.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, today definitely isn't better than yesterday. She is hardly putting any weight on her rear at all. When she lays down, she just kind of plops and lets her back legs collapse under her. Then when she gets up, it is like she just pulls herself up with her front legs and kind of drags the back legs up with her. As I am typing this she just keeps falling down and can barely keep herself up. What a way to make a bad week worse. I feel helpless for her.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I dont want to scare you but when I had my pit Carmen he hurt his leg by simply jumping off of a step and it did something to the ball joint.They tried pinning it and that didnt work cause he was so small and then they had to do the crutiate(SP) surgery.I would have Xrays to make sure it isnt anything serious or something that could turn serious.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
That really sucks! Maybe she just tore something while running around and needs a day or two to recoup. Go with your gut. If you think you need to go back and get x-rays (even for peace of mind), do it. Otherwise you will keep worrying. Hope it works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts