Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chassis has been doing bitework for 2 months, and today was her first send. It wasn't very far, but I think she did good. :)

Click here to see Video

·
Registered
807 Posts
So far she is really love doing the bite work. She goes crazy waiting her turn in the ring. She will pace back and forth in her pin for hours waiting to get out and do her work. Torco just sits down at the corner of the fence and watch's everything go on. Everytime their is a dog in the ring working she is up barking and crying to get out. :roll: :lol:

Edit

That dog is freakin strong, you do that with her more than 5 minutes a day, she will wear your out. I also worked a bred game pit with a prey drive that is off the chart. We didnt get any video of Grunt , game pits name. And also worked Cash, Char's blue pit. After those three dogs I was ready to lay down and call it a day. :D

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
This is kind of a stupid question, but you have to PAY to participate, right? Is it expensive? I would love to get into something like that, but my dogs aren't the type. Heaven maybe has a little gutsy attitude, but I don't think I'd get very far with her. It would be cool to do that with my next dog someday though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Funny you say that, we had no idea that Chassis would do any of this type of work. For her we were just out their for OB work. She just really took to it. At first she watched the birds and cars drive by, run when she heard Harley Davidson's type of bike go by. Now nothing seems to be distracting her anymore, but then again not alot of pressure has been put on her. She pays hardley any attention to anything in the back ground it seems now. We had to pay for both dogs to be trained in both OB and protection trainning. That was a one time fee for the trainning. But we are able to go out there and work every day of the week if we choose too. We can do weight pull, he has all the equipment, along with harness from Torco's size to a 120 pound dog. He also has spring poles to practice hang time. It was not real expensive for both dogs it was $1200. :D

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
That's not bad -- how many weeks worth of training? The place I am going to take my dogs charges $45 per dog, per day. If they would ever answer their phone, I could make an appointment. I'm thinking about just "showing up." I do think Heaven would go for bite work...(not Koa, he's kind of lazy and clumbsy). I'm curious to see how she'd do.

·
Registered
807 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
That's not bad -- how many weeks worth of training? The place I am going to take my dogs charges $45 per dog, per day. If they would ever answer their phone, I could make an appointment. I'm thinking about just "showing up." I do think Heaven would go for bite work...(not Koa, he's kind of lazy and clumbsy). I'm curious to see how she'd do.

You never know about Koa, he might just surprise you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LuvaBULL said:
That's not bad -- how many weeks worth of training?
We paid for a year. We can go out there as much as we'd like, 7 days a week, for a year. Like Greg said, we never expected her to take to bitework. I only had her out there for obedience but she LOVES working now.

And thanks for all the compliments, everyone!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
She looks like she LOVES it! You can see her tail going the whole time!

I don't think Jaz would take to protection work. She'd probably do ok with bite work, she love to latch on and not much can get her to let go. But if someone with bad intentions actually came into my home, I think she'd run. Obviously I don't know that for sure, it's my guess though. She's a dork! :lol:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think you guys are missing the best part of the video. Did you not see Torco, he was the star of the video. :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
62 Posts
wow i would love to have my pup learn bite work but i dont know any good training places here in the uk :(

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't want to sound like an idiot, because honestly when it comes to working a dog I am completely ignorant and clueless. What is the purpose of bite work? If we don't want our dogs to bite people why are we teaching them to do so? I am asking because I don't know and am curious.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AkainePSP said:
What is the purpose of bite work? If we don't want our dogs to bite people why are we teaching them to do so? I am asking because I don't know and am curious.
Bite work = protection, and teaching a dog bitework is teaching a dog how/when/why they should bite. I don't want my dog to randomly bite people, but if someone was to break into my house, or attack me on a run, I'd like to know that she would at least try to defer the attacker long enough for me to get away. Also, the more obedient a dog is, the happier and more confident they are and the less likely they are to bite out of fear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts